WD HB lead 2.5k RTT list, Advice needed

Moderator: Council of Elders

qeb
Newcomer
Newcomer

WD HB lead 2.5k RTT list, Advice needed

Post by qeb »

I originally made this list with a different hero setup. I had an arch mage general with cal staff/ scrolls, a lvl 2 with the moonstone, a stnd alter, and a socm/som bsb. I got complaints of it being cheesy points denial from my gaming group. These comments seem more or less valid as in one game I made multiple mistakes and lost everything except 3 chars (mages and the bsb, which he really had no hope of killing), the treeman, and my eg, but only gave up 1.2k pnts and earned a solid despite the fact that the enemy had many more troops remaining. This list trades the SW for a wardancer lord (hopefully ameliorating the weakness of eg and the treeman to uber combat chars through the wd lords superiority in the field of man sized combat characters) while also providing a points investment that is soft, in that it will almost invariably be run down when charged by any assault unit. The list also uses the extra points from losing heavy magic to buy another glade guard unit in an attempt to make up for losing the hoda from the stnd alter. Here is what I have so far.

2495 total
Hero: 707
WD Highborn, BoL AoN SoCM
BSB La, Ama Broach, Gwytherc's Horn (to counter master rune of challenge or if outnumber cause fear looks probable)
Bw, lvl 1, cluster
Caddy

Core: 976
10 gg x3
8 dry x2
5 gr + mus
20 eg, full com, wb

Special: 477
6 wr x2
8 wd, full com

Rare: 335
TM
Eagle

My concerns are mainly my ability to destroy artillery (as it can take out both of my stubborn units), tackle intersupported gun lines, avoid long ranged punch units (knights, chariots), and especially an amalgam of the three, which I fear would leave me rather hopeless. I considered swapping the broach for the moonstone as a solution but this makes him less effective vs. beastly characters and can be countered in numerous ways.
I usually tackle big guns by having magical movement for my treeman while having the slots to field a ward save alter to run in with my auxiliary assault team AND a char with the hoda coupled with glade guard giving them fire support. With this list I feel that I could be forced to hide my treeman and eg for much of the game and quickly loose control over the flow of the battle. I could loose one of my magic D characters for a hail carrier or ward save alter but then I just get into a world of pain if I run across an opponent with even decent magic. I'd really like to field the wd highborn, but the almost mandatory setup with the other three chars doesn't seem to cover my weaknesses nearly as well as the setup afforded by taking an archmage not to mention the magical movement she gives my tree man. Any ideas concerning these problems would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Qeb