Returning for The Old World - New list, same 6th ed feel

The place for all discussion of the Asrai in Warhammer: The Old World

Moderator: Council of Elders

Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Returning for The Old World - New list, same 6th ed feel

Post by Coyote81 »

So this edition reminds me a lot of 6th ed, the edition where I learned to stop trying to shoot everything and apply guerilla warfare for combat tactics. So this list is all about battlefield control and only fighting the combat I can win, trying to win on points. 2x lv4 mages seems crazy, but they are s much cheaper and more effective the taking lower level casters. This is all theory, but this is my first go. BSB seems really good in this edition. I think our core units are overall not very effective, so I decided to go with a majority as glade riders, trying to keep them alive and deny points. Dryads are there as a speed bump/screen for wild riders. and one unit of glade guard as required. As for the best things in our list, special wins the day. Wardancers are awesome. In a world of initiative matters, those with always strike first and good melee are kings. I have tried them out with a shadowdancer as well. They killed an entire unit of chaos knights when I charged them. Wild riders. Frenzy is scary, but I think we can screen them better then any other army. They hit so hard! Can't pass on them. Sister are still one of the best places to hide out general imo. They survive so much more then I think they can. The bound spell choice is also rather good. To end the Great Eagles still have their play in character hunting and warmachine annoyance. This is my first attempt at a well thought out 2k list for this edition. Overall notice I didn't spend a lot on the characters, I think keeping them cheap is the best way, took oaken stave and deepwood to try to dominate the magic phase.

What are your thoughts?

## Main Force [1998pts]

### Characters [596pts]
Glade Captain [113pts]:
• 1x Glade Captain: Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Elven Steed

Spellweaver [239pts]:
• 1x Spellweaver: Illusion, Oaken Stave, Elven Steed, Wizard Level 4

Spellweaver [244pts]:
• 1x Spellweaver: General, High Magic, Deepwood Sphere, Elven Steed, Wizard Level 4

### Core [502pts]
Dryads [65pts]:
• 5x Dryad

Glade Guard [82pts]:
• 1x Lord's Bowman
• 1x Musician
• 5x Glade Guard: Arcane Bodkins
Fire and Flee
Glade Riders [112pts]:
• 1x Glade Knight
• 1x Musician
• 5x Glade Rider: Trueflight Arrows
Reserve Move

Glade Riders [243pts]: 2nd Lv4 mage goes here
• 1x Glade Knight
• 1x Musician
• 1x Standard Bearer: Banner of the Hunter King
• 10x Glade Rider: Trueflight Arrows
Magic Standard, Reserve Move

### Special [780pts]
Sisters Of The Thorn [134pts]: General Goes here
• 1x Handmaiden of the Thorn
• 1x Standard Bearer
• 5x Sister Of The Thorn

Wardancers [125pts]:
• 1x Bladesinger
• 7x Wardancer: Additional Hand Weapon

Wardancers [171pts]:
• 1x Bladesinger
• 1x Standard Bearer: Razor Standard
• 7x Wardancer: Additional Hand Weapon

Wild Riders [175pts]:
• 1x Wild Hunter
• 6x Wild Rider: Shield

Wild Riders [175pts]:
• 1x Wild Hunter
• 6x Wild Rider: Shield

### Rare [120pts]
Great Eagles [60pts]:
• 1x Great Eagle

Great Eagles [60pts]:
• 1x Great Eagle
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Re: Returning for The Old World - New list, same 6th ed feel

Post by MortenLarsen »

Looking forward to hear how the battle goes.

I'm not sold on the Trueflight Arrows over Swiftshiver Shards, but maybe I'm very wrong when it comes to GRs?

Also I would think a Tree Kin anvil would be a great choice, but depending on the battlefield layout and your luck screening, they might not be necessary at all.

What size battlefield do you guys normally use for 2k and how much terrain?
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

This list has no anvil, just all hammers and avoidance/shooting. I think it's a tough list to get to work, but when you have it working it will be pretty devastating. Seems like the goal here is to avoid all combat until you've softened the enemy up, and then try to get multiple charges with Wild Riders and War Dancers. You might be better off with more Dryads to screen the War Dancers, rather than the 5-pack of Glade Riders, but who the heck knows, it's all theory at this point :D

~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coyote81 »

Good ideas, yea I was thinking about if I could get away with no anvils, something I wanted to try. Trueflight arrows is a try as well, I figured if my mages are clogging the board with trees, that my opponents will be getting lots of cover.
swarmofseals
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by swarmofseals »

Am I correct that a single wizard can attempt to dispel any number of enemy spells? I'd think that'd make taking two level 4 wizards a bit of a liability, although I suppose casting at level 4 you're going to get some spells off vs dispel at level 4. I haven't done a deep dive into most of the army lists though, so I don't know if any factions have wizards that can dominate our level 4s.
Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Dwarves, Wood Elves, Tyranids

Post by Fitz »

swarmofseals wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 03:59 Am I correct that a single wizard can attempt to dispel any number of enemy spells? I'd think that'd make taking two level 4 wizards a bit of a liability, although I suppose casting at level 4 you're going to get some spells off vs dispel at level 4. I haven't done a deep dive into most of the army lists though, so I don't know if any factions have wizards that can dominate our level 4s.
As long as they are in dispel range of the caster yes they can:

18" for Lvl 1 / 2
24" for Lvl 3 / 4

I just looked at the High Elves, they have nothing that can increase their casting power, however they do have several things that either make spells harder to cast, or reroll their own casting rolls. Drain magic which is the high magic signature spell also increases casting values by 2 for wizards within 24" of the caster.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Personally, I think this is an interesting list. I think having no anvils can still work, as our maneuverability *should* mean we can pick and choose fights, and positions units in such a way that hammers don't need an anvil to hold enemies in place.

As far as arrows are concerned, I personally feel Trueflight are underrated. Bearing in mind that most WE shooty units are going to want to stay mobile, cancelling negative hit modifiers is a big deal; conversely, the penalties for multiple shots will start stacking up when you throw in moving and cover. I'd probably keep the Glade Rider units at minimum size though, especially with characters in the units and with increased base sizes - a unit of 10 could get pretty unwieldy.

I think two Level 4s may be overkill but it does give you more dispel coverage against magic-heavy opponents. Historically, WE benefitted from keeping characters lean and I think that may still be the case in TOW.

Let us know how you get on!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coyote81 »

So I got to play this list, choosing illusion and high magic for my mages. I played against an incredible elite chaos swarf army. For core he had a unit of guard with hand weapons and shield and warbanner and some upgrades t make them expensive enough to meet core requirements, had a detachment of guard with blunderbuss attached to the elite guard. Had one unit of elite guard with all the trimmings. had a lvl 4 mage engineer and a lvl 2 mage eng. had an earthquake cannon, deathrockets and a ironmonger.

Overall, I lost. I just didn't have the tools to deal with that much toughness and armor.

Some insights I feel I went wrong with.
--Spell choices: As much as I love the idea of some of the spells in those lores. I need better ranges on my spells. Too many short range hexes and enchantments, try to stay safe also meant consistently being out of range for some of my spells. On my illusion mage I had: Glitter Robe (replaced Spectral doppelganger) Column of Crystal, Confounding Convocation, and Miasmic Mirage. On my high mage I had: Treesinging(replaced Tempest) Walk between world, fiery convocation and fury of khaine.

So I never Confounding Convocation, fury of khaine. Only cast Miasmic mirage once, and failed. Cast fiery convocation 3 times for 0 damage. cast trees and crystal multiple times, probably only stuck one of them once after this dispel phase. Cast glitter robe every turn, successful 2/6 and Walk between world successful 4/5 turns casting it.

Looking back, I'm going to serious think about taking battle magic and defaulting to Flock of doom for spells that I don't want.
Oaken Staff is amazing. Deepwood Sphere is ok, probably a lot better against non-dwarves.

His magic was mostly ineffective, except he did manage to be out of my range, give my Hero on stag -1 T, then cast a toughness test on him while in combat, and he procedure to die with no armor saves allowed. That hurt a lot. He was suppose to deal with the warmachines after the guard unit he was holding up.

Wild Riders hit hard and over are amazing imo. even reduced to 7 out of the 14 models I brought, when they hit that guard unit with 4+ armor saves, they just peeled it apart, but he just used shieldwall to not FBGO, then every round after, I barely won and he'd give ground. Shieldwall might be amazing.

His no roll to hit shooting, even reduced against skirmisher was taking it's toll, I decided to play the point game, back them off to not get them kill uselessly. but losing my giant eagle and hero on stag with killing any warmachines probably cost me the game. my eagle whiffed on a lvl 2 mage to straight combats. Then died.

Shooting was ineffective against T4 4+ save minimum across the army. So I just poured it into the iron monger, fishing for wounds.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Thanks for the write up, useful info in there for sure!

I think shooting will only work when there's a lot of it ... I'm now thinking that my full 40 Glade Guard might be necessary for shooting to do anything. But who wants to be that guy?

Your experience with the wizards matches my expectations--I don't think our magic is really going to do a whole lot. Signature spells being replaced by Lore spells ... ugh, I may end up running no wizards, or a couple of L1s just to cast Tree Singing and lean into all the stuff that's buffed by being near a Forest.

~gwh
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Point of order: Shieldwall is a once per game ability, hopefully that's how it was used? Unclear from your write up.

~gwh
Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coyote81 »

Yea shield wall was used to blunt my charge turn, then he rolled below 10 the rest of the game.

As far as wizards, idk if lvl 1s are worth it The level 4 actually did dispel a lot of spells, I think 1 level one with oaken stave will do well. and sisters on the outskirts staying out of dispel range will be key.