The place for all discussion of the Asrai in Warhammer: The Old World

Moderator: Council of Elders

Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Dwarves, Wood Elves, Tyranids

I made a list....

Post by Fitz »

....so we can collectively kick holes in it. I am by no means thinking this is perfect or even good.

Some reasoning behind choices.

1. Minimum core
Skirmishing dryads feel like a good screener for archers in T1
Scouts, GG and Glade riders give me 25 hots, and allow me to mix up the arrows
2. Lvl 4 seems required at the moment
3. Sisters seem like an excellent place to put the level 4 - decent utility, mobility and "robust" with a 4+ ward.
3. Not making a wizard my general so I needed a different one, might as well make him worth a damn. He might devolve into something else
4. Treekin seem like a better anvil unit than anything else we have
5. Treeman is a decent hammer and / or distraction carnifex
6. Eagles are still awesome until proven otherwise. I started with 2 but wanted to have 6 Treekin.

++ Characters [744 pts] ++

Glade Lord [525 pts] - GENERAL
(Default Weapons, Light armour, Asrai Longbow, Forest Dragon, Spear of Twilight, Merciw's Locus, An Annoyance Of Netlings)

Spellweaver [219 pts]
(Handweapon, Level 4 Wizard, Elven Steed, Dispel Scroll)

++ Core Units [531 pts] ++
10 Glade Guard [130 pts]
(Hand weapon and Asrai Longbows, Arcane Bodkins)

10 Deepwood Scouts [160 pts]
(Hand weapon and Asrai Longbows, Swiftshiver Shards, Vanguard USR)

5 Dryads [65 pts]
(Hand weapon, Sapwood Flesh (Light Armor))

5 Dryads [65 pts]
(Hand weapon, Sapwood Flesh (Light Armor))

5 Glade Riders [111 pts]
(Hand weapon, Cavalry Spears and Asrai Longbows, Arcane Bodkins, Reserved Move USR, Musician)

++ Special Units [447 pts] ++
5 Sisters of the Thorn [134 pts]
(Hand weapons and Blackbriar Javelins, Handmaiden of the Thorn, Standard bearer)

6 Treekin [313 pts]
(Hand weapon, Hardwood Flesh (Heavy Armor), Elder)

++ Rare Units [275 pts] ++
Giant Eagle [60 pts]

Treeman [215 pts]
(Forest Spites)

---
Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: I made a list....

Post by godswearhats »

What lore on the wizard? You might struggle vs Armour (eg Blood Knights) in terms of damage output. I suspect treemen are not as hammer-y as we would like with only 3 attacks now.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Ikbuh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ikbuh »

That dragon will destroy tough nuts.
Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Fitz »

godswearhats wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 00:50 What lore on the wizard? You might struggle vs Armour (eg Blood Knights) in terms of damage output. I suspect treemen are not as hammer-y as we would like with only 3 attacks now.
Haven’t even got as far as the lore. Probably Elemtalism?

Erm, my treeman book entry says it has 5 attacks. Is that a typo?

The Ancient has 3 but I presumed that’s because he was a wizard. The regular is 5 in the book
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Post by MortenLarsen »

Erm, my treeman book entry says it has 5 attacks. Is that a typo?

The Ancient has 3 but I presumed that’s because he was a wizard. The regular is 5 in the book
Nope, 5 is correct and remember the D3 stomps aswell 💪🏻

Also expecting alot from the new Eagles with 3A and 1 Stomp.

Treekin must definitely be our new anvil. Two 5+ saves, 3W, 3+1A and AB2. And then a Treeman or Wardancers in the flank 👌🏻
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Ah, I was confused with Treeman Ancient, my bad.

I'm bummed that Eagles are now 60, otherwise we could get 3 Treemen and 2 Eagles in a 2500 point list, which would be *chef's kiss*
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Few comments on your list, Fitz:

- I love that Dragon lords seem to be making a comeback; I am a little surprised at the popularity of Merciw's Locus - are strength buffs that common in TOW that they need to be guarded against? I'd personally prefer a Talisman of Protection for the ward save. Even though the Locus is good in the right circumstances, it still seems too situational to me (whereas a ward save is always useful!)

- Would love to see the Oaken Stave on the Weaver, rather than the Scroll (which is nowhere near as good as it used to be, so is less of an auto-include than in WHFB). As you've got quite a lot of points tied up in characters/single models, I'd love to see some protection for the Weaver too.

- The Scouts can't actually take the Vanguard USR; that's only available to Glade Guard (not Scouts). I'm not really sure it's all that useful on Glade Guard, but it would depend on points. I'm also not sold on Swiftshiver Shards; they sound good on paper, but with the Scouts likely on the move each turn, possibly in and out of cover, I think the negative hit modifiers will add up and really reduce the effectiveness of Swiftshiver Shards.

- Sort of the same comments re: arrows about the Glade Riders, although with them being a lot faster than scouts you can perhaps minimise the hit modifiers to only -1, which might not make them too bad. Depends what opponents you're up against regularly as to whether you need more bodkins.

- Sisters would probably benefit from a musician, especially as you already have the Handmaiden and standard in the unit. As they've Fast Cavalry and have Fire & Flee, the musician's benefits would be helpful.

- Treekin are great, but I think 6 may be too many here. It's a rock solid anvil unit, but I don't feel you've got enough hammers (Treeman + Dragon) to need it, or take full advantage. 2 units of 3 instead would give you a bit more flexibility, and you'd be able to maximise their combat ability instead of having models in a second rank not fighting in melee. Alternatively, you could reduce them to 4 and put the saved points into some Wardancers or Wild Riders to provide another hammer unit.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Fitz »

Beithir Seun wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 17:57 Few comments on your list, Fitz:

- I love that Dragon lords seem to be making a comeback; I am a little surprised at the popularity of Merciw's Locus - are strength buffs that common in TOW that they need to be guarded against? I'd personally prefer a Talisman of Protection for the ward save. Even though the Locus is good in the right circumstances, it still seems too situational to me (whereas a ward save is always useful!)

- Would love to see the Oaken Stave on the Weaver, rather than the Scroll (which is nowhere near as good as it used to be, so is less of an auto-include than in WHFB). As you've got quite a lot of points tied up in characters/single models, I'd love to see some protection for the Weaver too.

- The Scouts can't actually take the Vanguard USR; that's only available to Glade Guard (not Scouts). I'm not really sure it's all that useful on Glade Guard, but it would depend on points. I'm also not sold on Swiftshiver Shards; they sound good on paper, but with the Scouts likely on the move each turn, possibly in and out of cover, I think the negative hit modifiers will add up and really reduce the effectiveness of Swiftshiver Shards.

- Sort of the same comments re: arrows about the Glade Riders, although with them being a lot faster than scouts you can perhaps minimise the hit modifiers to only -1, which might not make them too bad. Depends what opponents you're up against regularly as to whether you need more bodkins.

- Sisters would probably benefit from a musician, especially as you already have the Handmaiden and standard in the unit. As they've Fast Cavalry and have Fire & Flee, the musician's benefits would be helpful.

- Treekin are great, but I think 6 may be too many here. It's a rock solid anvil unit, but I don't feel you've got enough hammers (Treeman + Dragon) to need it, or take full advantage. 2 units of 3 instead would give you a bit more flexibility, and you'd be able to maximise their combat ability instead of having models in a second rank not fighting in melee. Alternatively, you could reduce them to 4 and put the saved points into some Wardancers or Wild Riders to provide another hammer unit.
Lots of good feedback in there, I have re-written this a bit already. See below, but on the Locus topic, my logic is that he's going to be charging units with characters in, OR he's going to be fighting duels against scary things with characters riding them (those things are likely going to be tooled up with powerful weapons).

The Protection for the Spellweaver is the Sisters. That's my mobile wizard bunker which happens to carry around a wardsave for her. Totally agree on the Oaken Stave now I've actually read the scroll rules :D

I also LOVE the Waystalker with a ruby ring idea so I stole it. Whether or not he can snipe characters out of units, I think he and his unit of waywatchers can provide amazing early pressure especially with a nice wood to hide in. AND will keep characters honest and IN units. Lots of people will have seen the cannon FAQ and started to think they can not put characters in bunkers. If that do that against the list below, they will get hurt!

Credit to Ikbuh for the basis of the list and the Waystalker.

Changed my mind completely on Arrows, trueflight just seems better on things that are going to be doing a lot of moving.

Really, not sure about how to make another hammer unit, but I've put a cheap unit of Wild Riders in to see how they work out, Frenzy scares me: There is literally no way to mitigate someone throwing an eagle or similar chaff out and making you charge it since you don't get to magic missile or shoot them before charges have to happen.

===
Another thing [2000 pts]
Warhammer: The Old World, Wood Elf Realms
===

++ Characters [895 pts] ++

Spellweaver [239 pts]
- Handweapon
- Level 4 Wizard
- Elven Steed
- Oaken Stave
- Elementalism

Glade Lord [525 pts]