Bow of Loren stats

The place for all discussion of the Asrai in Warhammer: The Old World

Moderator: Council of Elders

MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Bow of Loren stats

Post by MortenLarsen »

Hi
So I asked this on reddit and we couldn't agree on the rules => https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerOldWo ... ial_rules/

Does the BOL have Armour Bane (2)? With the new statlines for weapons and the cumulative special rules (page 165 in the rulebook), my question is if one is to combine the AB1 from BOWs own stats and one AB1 from count as an Asrai Longbow?
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Bow of Loren stats

Post by godswearhats »

Pretty sure no. The “counts as” is so you can fire enchanted arrows with it, etc. The rule doesn’t say it is an Asrai Longbow.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'd expect this will get an FAQ, because I can see both interpretations. "Counts as" and is an Asrai longbow amount to the same thing as far as rules are concerned, IMO, as I think that's the bit that implies it doesn't get Armour Bane twice - because it is an Asrai longbow, that's where the Armour Bane comes from (the BoL itself confers multiple shots and the Magical Attacks). So I think GWH is right, but for the opposite reason :D

FWIW, I think the same applies to Asyendi's Bane - that has Armour Bane (1) from being an Asrai longbow, and the magical attacks, Quick Shot and reroll to hit are the properties of the magic bow itself.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

Yeah, I'm also quite sure there's no AB2. If only they had added counts as an Asrai Longbow for the purpose of using enchanted arrows., then it would have been clear. On the other hand, the only thing that separates this supposedly superior bow from any other longbow is S as user and 2" so I wouldn't say AB2 would be overkill in anyway

Character list

godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

I've added this clarification to the FAQ list I'm adding all questions that I'm hearing, so that we can get GW to address them early.

Thanks!
~gwh
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Note, I also changed my opinion after researching all the relevant rules. I think it's Armour Bane (2), Magic Attacks, Volley Fire.
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

godswearhats wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 13:36 Note, I also changed my opinion after researching all the relevant rules. I think it's Armour Bane (2), Magic Attacks, Volley Fire.
🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Character list

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

godswearhats wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 13:36 Note, I also changed my opinion after researching all the relevant rules. I think it's Armour Bane (2), Magic Attacks, Volley Fire.
That would be awesome, although I still think incorrect (or at least, not what is intended, so it will get FAQ'ed)
Edron
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Edron »

Regarding the bow of loren, do the swiftshiver shard arrows combo with it?

If so, is the below possible?

-Glade Lord
-Bow of Loren
-Swiftshiver Shards
-Potion of Strength

Am I right to say this will be 8 shots of BS7, STR 5-8, AB1 and ignoring cover?
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

Edron wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 10:47 Regarding the bow of loren, do the swiftshiver shard arrows combo with it?

-Glade Lord
-Bow of Loren
-Swiftshiver Shards
-Potion of Strength

There are some who say its not possible, and there are some who say its possible. Both with various plausible reasoning behind the opinions. But I think consensus is we should wait for the FAQ to clear it out.

What I think you should do is to talk with your opponent or tournament organizer to clear it out. If its forbidden, use Bodkins instead. That's what I would do.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

Edron wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 10:47 Regarding the bow of loren, do the swiftshiver shard arrows combo with it?

-Glade Lord
-Bow of Loren
-Swiftshiver Shards
-Potion of Strength

Good question, I would have thought it would be 5 shoots but the 5th at -1 to hit because of multi shot... But this really needs a FAQ

Character list

godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

The Potion of Strength should indeed work with the Bow of Loren (or any other Asrai longbow).
TOW (p. 342) wrote:During the Command sub-phase of their turn, the bearer of a Potion of Strength can consume it. Until the end of that turn, the model has a +D3 modifier to its Strength characteristic (to a maximum of 10).
Command sub-phase happens in the Strategy Phase, the first phase of the turn. Thus the drinkers Strength becomes +D3 higher, which in the case of a Glade Lord could be as high as 7, and will remain that high through the Shooting phase and the Combat phase.

As for how many shots, this is something that needs FAQ. The Asrai would much prefer the answer to be 8 shots, Armour Bane (2), Magical Attacks, Volley Fire :)
Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coyote81 »

I think the FAQ with clear it up to be Mutiple Shots(x) where X is A, then we will stack those with swiftshivers for MS(X+2) and no penalty for multiple shots. This seems the fair way to me. Seems clear the intent was for it to be MS(X) where X=A, because they specifically give it the rule to not take a penalty when shooting multiple shots. Which it wouldn't anyways because it doesn't currently have the multiple shots rule.
Edron
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Edron »

Played a local event last weekend. I used the bow of loren in a waystalker with the swiftshiver shards, which gave me 4 sniper, S4, ignores cover shots (2+ to hit repeating 1s). I place the waystalker in the glade guard unit with the razor banner for a total of AB3.

The TO gave the ok to the combo. Sweet
Thalandor_gaming
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Thalandor_gaming »

Don't let us hanging. How did your Waystalker do?

Where you able to kill some juicy target?
How important was the Razor Banner?
Did being part of a non-skrimishing unit (whats the english for the regular formation?) hamper the Waystalkers movement?
But most importantly, did you kill some Dwarfs?
Dennisdegooijer
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins and High Elves

Post by Dennisdegooijer »

-Glade Lord
-Bow of Loren
-Swiftshiver Shards
-Potion of Strength

I do think it's possible. To me it's quite clear too and here's why.
The arrows modify the profile of the bow, so the bow gets the Multiple Shot (2) special rule
The bow states and I quote "The wielder of the Bow of Loren may make a number of shooting attacks equal to their Attacks characteristic, rather than the usual one."
I think the only way to read this is then; This lord makes 4 shooting attacks with the Multiple Shot (2) special rule. Therefore 8 shots.

Put him on a Warhawk so he has Feigned Flight, combined with his Fire and Flee :D. He will be zippin'
- The Mirage of the Royal Sea Otter has spoken
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

So now we are at:

For a Lord, 8A at S4 with AB2, range 32, magical attacks, with no penalty for multi shot, and a possible +3S with Potion of Strength

Seems decent

Character list

Dennisdegooijer
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins and High Elves

Post by Dennisdegooijer »

MortenLarsen wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 14:52 So now we are at:

For a Lord, 8A at S4 with AB2, range 32, magical attacks, with no penalty for multi shot, and a possible +3S with Potion of Strength

Seems decent
You can even give him 2 Potions of Strength if you dare to leave him without a ward save :D
- The Mirage of the Royal Sea Otter has spoken
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Dennisdegooijer wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 12:50 I do think it's possible. To me it's quite clear too and here's why.
The arrows modify the profile of the bow, so the bow gets the Multiple Shot (2) special rule
The bow states and I quote "The wielder of the Bow of Loren may make a number of shooting attacks equal to their Attacks characteristic, rather than the usual one."
I think the only way to read this is then; This lord makes 4 shooting attacks with the Multiple Shot (2) special rule. Therefore 8 shots.

Put him on a Warhawk so he has Feigned Flight, combined with his Fire and Flee :D. He will be zippin'
That is genuinely the clearest and most logical argument in favour of the BoL and swiftshiver shards stacking that I've seen. I'm convinced. In which case, that is an absolutely great combo!
Stygian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, tomb kings, Bretts, O&G

Post by Stygian »

Greetings, its been minute but I received the call to arms and now I'm back!

On bow of loren, anyone else notice that weapons such as AHW confer a bonus to the users profile? Along the same line as the potion of strength.. this seems to infer that weapons such as Bow of Loren or the Reaver Bow for examples would benefit as they reference the users profile. Thoughts?
"The goal is to have an endless war, not a successful war." -Julian Assange
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

Zanthorn Mist Walker wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 18:04 Greetings, its been minute but I received the call to arms and now I'm back!

On bow of loren, anyone else notice that weapons such as AHW confer a bonus to the users profile? Along the same line as the potion of strength.. this seems to infer that weapons such as Bow of Loren or the Reaver Bow for examples would benefit as they reference the users profile. Thoughts?
I most definitely think the Potion of Strength will add to an Asrai longbow and any other bow that uses the users S. You can even take several of them on the same character since they are extremely common items

Character list

Stygian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Stygian »

That seems to be the consensus. So similarly what are everyone's thoughts on additional hand weapon? +1 attack to the users profile. If I am following the same logic then bow of loren + swiftshiver shards + ahw = 10 shots. + lotion of strength (not a mistype lol) and we get potentially 10 s7 ap1 AB1 shots. Eat ur hearts out RBTs!
Thalandor_gaming
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Thalandor_gaming »

Zanthorn Mist Walker wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 18:11 That seems to be the consensus. So similarly what are everyone's thoughts on additional hand weapon? +1 attack to the users profile. If I am following the same logic then bow of loren + swiftshiver shards + ahw = 10 shots. + lotion of strength (not a mistype lol) and we get potentially 10 s7 ap1 AB1 shots. Eat ur hearts out RBTs!
I've thought about it as well. But I think the +1 A only applies in the combat phase when you actually pick your weapon for an attack. You wouldn't get +2 S to your bow attacks when you are wielding a Great Weapon either.
Stygian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Stygian »

Haha ya good point. That's what my gut told me from previous editions but the 2 attack way stalker is pretty meh without an additional attack. Made me think what if.. Oh well.
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

Zanthorn Mist Walker wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 03:23 Haha ya good point. That's what my gut told me from previous editions but the 2 attack way stalker is pretty meh without an additional attack. Made me think what if.. Oh well.
Yeah if one ever would take BoL with a Waystalker it should be combined with the Shards for 4 shots. Provided that Shard do double the AS.
I'm hoping for at least two bows and two one use only arrows in the Arcane Journal. But I will bet my ass off that won't be the case at all or that any new bow only can be used in a specific army

Character list