Back to the Hobby

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Silic
Newcomer
Newcomer

Back to the Hobby

Post by Silic »

Hello everyone. Its been a very long time since I've picked up a model and it appears I've chosen either the best or worst time to pick up the hobby again. I'm a former Dark Elf and Empire player, and I've proxied a few Wood Elf games back then. New rulebooks as well as revamped fluff are sort of throwing me off picking up the game quickly, and I wanted to go through a few things as I dive in.

-I ordered the Wood Elf army book along with the Guardians of the Deepwood web bundle, which may or may not be a largely unusable box. Looking at the stats and listening to the Dimensional Cascade podcast review (well done, by the way), am I better off returning the dryads and treeman and investing heavily into Wild Riders and Eternal Guard? I picked the dryads up thinking they were always the solid choice before, but now they seem outclassed by WS5 elves.

-I haven't picked up End Times: Khaine yet, though I am very interested in combining my old Dark Elves with new Wood Elves. How is this affecting the scenes where you are? When you go into an event, is the decision to choose an End Times or basic 9th ed army list yours or the events? ie, in theory, are the systems balanced to one another, or am I going to roll a field if I run Dark Elf/Wood Elf hybrid?

-My biggest concern is something I've seen mentioned on a few forums but not with specifics, and that is the idea that 10th edition will somehow make current models obsolete and to not purchase any new models for the next 6th months (which obviously makes getting back into the game with a new a real challenge). Is there a basis behind this idea (End Times-only lists allowed?) or just worry about the next incarnation of the game?