50% Meta

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Disco
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: 50% Meta

Post by Disco »

I have played some games against the new character strong armies with my sister bunker avoidance list. I have yet to loose a game, but I havent won big either. The army is almost all mounted and rely on speed and mobility:
Lvl 4, high, steed, MR 2, scroll
Glade Lord, steed, giant blade, HoDA, charmed shield

BSB, steed, helm of the hunt, pot. of str, spear, shield

2x7 glade riders, trueflight
7 glade riders, trueflight, banner
6 glade riders, trueflight

9 Wild RIders, flaming banner, shield
9 Wild riders, gleaming pendant, shield
7 Sisters, FCG
2x3 warhawks
5 scouts
Everything I put down on the table can vanguard and with only 6 drops there is a good chance I get +1 to start. When the sisters get some counters going I feel fairly confident charging into a character - with giant blade and +4 CR they usually break.
With glade riders in core I can avoid the big threats and pick on smaller units with a 48" range.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Aezeal wrote: I think that 4 units of 5 wardancers might be a nice investment.. they might do decently against the warriors too, if only to keep them away from the archers. And vs chariots if you fo 3++ first you can pin them down a bit too. if a lord comes near you just try to KB it.
Unfortunately they're special, so max 3 units.

In a Shadow list, I can see them quite appealing in units of 10-12 inside woods (it seems the Acorn is needed indeed).
Mindrazor on them is scary for sure, but adding the 3rd rank and rerolling 1s means 52% chances of killing the Disc Lord.

I think that with the Acorn, High magic becomes crucial for the counters on the Weaver, otherwise just a Wyssan makes WD really effective. Beast+Shadow could be a decent setup too. (Beast has obvious synergies anyway, as we all know and there's always the combo of Amber Spear + Moonstone as Phil teaches).

Avoidance, as Disco suggested, is a viable choice obv.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Loving that all-cav list Disco!

I wondered if Protection Counters would let me get away with Giant Blade but I kind of figured a 5+ Ward would be needed instead of HoD!
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

The double 3+ reroll ones are difficult, there's only one easy solution and arcane unforging becomes a priority to dispel. Otherwise you need to push approximately 15 wounds past the armor save. So your easiest methods would be withering and Waywatchers or mindrazor on wild riders ( miasma or hand to get rerolls) or light council ( again running afoul of having just one threat, banishment (you will need about 6 wounds past armor)). It's not easy by any stretch, but I feel double 4 on shadow and high give you the most options.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Disco
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Disco »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Loving that all-cav list Disco!

I wondered if Protection Counters would let me get away with Giant Blade but I kind of figured a 5+ Ward would be needed instead of HoD!
Agreed and my former lists had the glade lord sporting an armour of fortune beside his giant blade. The BSB had the HoDA. Its just so neat to fire of the HoDA with BS7 and with the BSB able to dish out 4 S 8 AP attacks one round the bunker becomes much more powerful against demigryphs, skullcrushers and what have you - I would even consider throwing that unit into a steamtank (If I had enough counters).
I have no need for the hand of glory spell with this list so the ideal magic-setup would be soul quench, apotheosis, walk between worlds and arcane unforging.
3 fairly easy spells to cast and then one game changer.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

It's interestibg and undoubtedly effective, but if you happen to run into low magic phase early game, you're forced to play pure avoidance and focus just on smaller targets, settling yourself on a draw/small win.

I'll feel safer with at least a 5++ on the Lord as Phil suggested.
Can't you get away with HoDA and PoS on the BSB? You'd lose just an attack on the charge and a pint of AS, but your general would be much more protected. Do you feel it's so crucial that one attack on the BSB?
Disco
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Disco »

If my magic phases are poor then yes - I would have some problems. But it is very difficult to dispel every casting attempt I make. If I'm really low on dice I sometimes try and cast some of the lower spells with just 1 dice at the end of magic phase. If Im in a forest I only need 3s to cast walk between world and soul quench.

Unfortunately, Pot. of Str and HoDA are both enchanted items so I cant have both on the BSB. I know its fairly risky that my lord doesn't have that much of a save but again, he can pick his fights every time so I would not charge him in unless I have at least 3 counters on the unit.

And to be honest - against some of the new armies, especially WoC and DE with all their flying heroes - a minor win or a draw is definitely a good result in my book. :)

I will be participating in a 7 game ETC-tournament at the end of january where I will bring this list.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

The problem WE have with this kind of list is the number of characters with good Ward saves.

Thinking a little outside the box, none of their characters can do more than 5 wounds in combat in a turn, so the sisters of twilight on an eagle will hold them up almost indefinitely, as long as you can make break tests. Static combat resolution will help too - eternal guard with at least 3 ranks and a banner.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I run Eternal Guard and the main threat to them in this list is the chariots IMHO. Daemon Prince if the guy brings one because of Thunderstomp. The good thing is (as gwh infers) that the chariots lack Wards so magic can really hurt them.