Greetings from the North

If you're new, you might want to introduce yourself. Here's the place!

Moderator: Council of Elders

Supi
Newcomer
Newcomer

Greetings from the North

Post by Supi »

Hello,

I am from Finland and I have dabbled in Warhammer Fantasy/40k for a while. I own a small force of Dark Eldar for Warhammer 40000 but Fantasy has always been my true calling. I do have a small Bretonnian force (Batallion plus two additional Pegasus Knights) but Wood Elves always drew me however I never got the time to collect them.

In the spirit of the Alliance between Bretonnia and Athel Loren I have decided to join the Asrai. I currently own a meager box of Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers but I would like to build my army around them.

My Bretonnians are currently a small household army engaged in an Errantry war in the North against the barbarians. Due to the proximity of their castle to what Kislevites called "haunted forest" the Knights discover that the woods that they did not dare enter houses a gateway, the Gate of Mists. Encountering a band of Eternal Guard and several Kinbands bound in protecting the dormant forest which shared multiple features with Athel Loren it is connected to they form an alliance. With the beastmen driven out of the forest the Asrai repay their debt by assisting the Order of the Manticore defeat several barbarian tribes. When the Knights against counsel from the Spellweaver attack a larger Norse encampement find themselves cursed to walk between life and death, the Lord and his Spellweaver advisor decide to assist the foolish humans.

As the Knights descend into Vampirism the Elves find it harder and harder to work with them despite the Knights' apparent self control. My Asrai force will be meant to represent the Lord, the Eternal Guard and support elements, watchers over the forest I have not yet named. Secretly their mission was to also revive the forest spirits in order to keep people away from the Gate of Mists and lost elven ruins in the center of the forest.

The theme will be late autumn-winter-early spring with winter most dominant. I wish to use Araloth as my Lord/Glade Captain and a couple of mages to lead the force. I am also considering adding Sisters of the Thorn, Glade Riders, Wardancers and maybe Wildwood rangers. Since the Spirits of the forest are dormant I will have perhaps at most a treeman in my force. Scouts are also something I wish to use.

Any input you have is appreciated of course.

-Supi
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Greetings from the North

Post by arolig »

Supi wrote:
The theme will be late autumn-winter-early spring with winter most dominant. I wish to use Araloth as my Lord/Glade Captain and a couple of mages to lead the force. I am also considering adding Sisters of the Thorn, Glade Riders, Wardancers and maybe Wildwood rangers. Since the Spirits of the forest are dormant I will have perhaps at most a treeman in my force. Scouts are also something I wish to use.

Greetings from Norway.
The first things to buy are some more Core units. Riders have to wait to come on the table (due to ambush), consider some glade guard for your core. Glade guard kits are great for making Waywatchers aswell. Sisters of the thorn is the stuff to bring, get two boxes of sisters and assemble 7 of them. Also get a pack of glade riders, assemble 5 as actual glade riders. You should also have a mounted Wizard, I suggest converting one with Glade riders horse, And then use a sister of the thorn. It should also be noted that the mounted bretonnian damsels make ok wizards for starters. Now, putting those last 3 stags and 2 horses to good use, have yourself and convert a bit, and you got 5 wildriders(ofcourse they can all ride stags and you have a couple sisters ride horses). The old wildrider models rode on horses, so nothing wrong with this conversion.

So yeah! Keeping with what you want to play, first get:
1 box of glade riders
2 boxes of wildriders/sisters (they're the same box)

Wardancers are a bit of a wierd unit, as it works best in units of five tarpitting and redirecting enemy in woods (or killing blowing them to heavens). Get two packs of three, and let one stay at home every match(pts are better spent elsewhere). You might find yourself not using them in smaller matches, as Waywatchers(rare) outshine them by millions. I think wardancers work best in armies with a lot of shooting infantery, because then they can hold up enemy a bit or redirect.

The thing with scouts is. If you want glade guard, but your core is a 25%... then get scouts instead. Also Waywatchers are our best scout unit. And Glade guard, scouts and waywatchers is something you can make just with the Glade guard kit. Making 6 waywatchers and 10 scouts out of a kit with 16 is not a bad start.