Spellweaver w/ Unicorn

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Chaos Warriors & Beastmen, Bretonnians, Dark elf, Empire & Orcs & Goblins

Re: Spellweaver w/ Unicorn

Post by Allendor »

I just got this mini in a lot on e-bay
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/u ... down/02151
I paid $8.00 for the lot which included
3 waywatchers (which is what I wanted the lot for)
A Glade captain
2 Elven steeds
A Dragon rider (Forest dragon OOP no arms)
and the Unicorn

The picture on the auction wasn't very clear you could not tell it was a unicorn.
I suspected it might be a unicorn but frankly did not know it was until I got it.
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
sirkently
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Necrons

Post by sirkently »

I have run one as well. Very survivable for the most part.

I use the 4++ talisman and the crown of command. Nice to try and bait in a charge that you can then counter charge.
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Daemons, Wood Elves, Ogres, Night Goblins, Brettonians

Post by Phazael »

Did some practice at an RTT with her this weekend, running 4++, Scroll, and Antiheros sword. She was rock solid for me all day, including ganking an Arch Lector off of his popemobile (here, have my S3 and 1 attack!) and prancing around taking down chaff.
Takkie
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Takkie »

I recently bought a number of models. I bought a couple of wardancers, but there was also a khorne hero included in the deal. Reading this discussion I decided to make a death-singer on a unicorn. Death spells are great to snipe out characters . On a unicorn the weaver can act on his own get behind a unit.

The model has to painted before I use it, so I don't know if this combo is going to work. But I like the model allready :evil:
It's true, we're all a little insane (evanescence)
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

The problem is that without protection counters she becomes a lot more vulnerable to shooting, especially cannon. You might consider screening with a unit of warhawks.
Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Chaos Warriors & Beastmen, Bretonnians, Dark elf, Empire & Orcs & Goblins

Post by Allendor »

NonnoSte; Do you think that 4++ is mandatory?
Can't you go with Book of Ashur and 5++?
I have a temporary Spell-weaver on my Reaper unicorn now so I am trying to build a list around her.
I would like to go with High magic, Book of Ashur and Talisman of endurance but that only gives her a 5+ ward.
Phazael ; The 4++ is mandatory
Going along with this statement I am thinking about this build.
High spell-weaver on unicorn with "The Sword of anti Hero's, Dispel scroll with the "Talisman of preservation". This sounds like fun.
I will probably have the "The Sisters of Thorn"(5) and a L2 Shadow Spell-singer, "The Ruby Ring of Ruin" & Channeling staff as well.
Could make a great magic phase.
Thoughts?
Last edited by Allendor on 12 Oct 2014, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Looks decent.

You can't take two Arcane Items on one character though. You could swap one for the Ring maybe.
Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Allendor »

Phil Rossiter ; Looks decent.
You can't take two Arcane Items on one character though. You could swap one for the Ring maybe.
Thanks, You are correct my oversight.
I would just swap them giving the scroll to the weaver and the ring to the singer.
I will edit that so there is no confusion.
Furion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Furion »

Do people not find their solo unicorn weavers being shot with small arms first to remove the counters before the cannon balls start thundering in?
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

I don't think it's a great issue, since the armies with cannons are Empire, Bretonnia and Ogre (non accurate light shooting), Dwarves (non mobile light shooting), DoC and WoC (no light shooting at all).
My main worries are High and Dark Elves with good bow fire and those RBT. I haven't faced them yet with the high weaver, but their troops melt down quickly under TFA fire and their bolt throwers are easy to take down with HBT.

Those are my two cents based on little experience. Has anyone else tried her against our cousins yet?
Noght
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Empire, Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by Noght »

Furion wrote:Do people not find their solo unicorn weavers being shot with small arms first to remove the counters before the cannon balls start thundering in?
Deploy her in a unit to protect from BS shooting, remove it, then bounce out.....
"Spirit of the Game arguments are used by Role Players who get their A$$es kicked by Wargammers."
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

Noght wrote:
Furion wrote:Do people not find their solo unicorn weavers being shot with small arms first to remove the counters before the cannon balls start thundering in?
Deploy her in a unit to protect from BS shooting, remove it, then bounce out.....
True that.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Noght wrote:
I think this wil burn out High counters, nonetheless.
Takkie
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Takkie »

Here she is: My undead-weaver (or death-singer) on a unicorn.

The steed is a Khorne deamonic mount, the legs from a bretonian knight (simply because I had a spare one), upper body of a high elf mage, zombie arms and the head of a Slaanesh deamonette. The unicorn horn is a wooden tooth pick.

Just a little more painting and we are ready for the End times :ninja:
Attachments
20141019_191239-1_resized.jpg
It's true, we're all a little insane (evanescence)
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Phazael »

Using protection counters is optional. You can let derps die or eat a random wound and keep one around to deal with cannons. Apotheosis lets you heal is later, and trust me people will let that spell (or shield of thorns) through when Unforging, Quench, or Walk are waiting in the wings.
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

Phazael wrote:Using protection counters is optional. You can let derps die or eat a random wound and keep one around to deal with cannons. Apotheosis lets you heal is later, and trust me people will let that spell (or shield of thorns) through when Unforging, Quench, or Walk are waiting in the wings.
I missed that... optional you say?
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

Phazael wrote:Using protection counters is optional. You can let derps die or eat a random wound and keep one around to deal with cannons. Apotheosis lets you heal is later, and trust me people will let that spell (or shield of thorns) through when Unforging, Quench, or Walk are waiting in the wings.
"Whenever the wizard (or a model in the same unit) suffers an unsaved wound"
Doesn't seem to imply an option, what are we missing?
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Phazael »

The word "can" is in the sentence following, if I recall correctly. Can is permissive.
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

Phazael wrote:The word "can" is in the sentence following, if I recall correctly. Can is permissive.
Sadly this isn't the case
"Whenever the wizard (or a model in the same unit) suffers an unsaved wound and there are one or more protection counters next to him, remove a protection counter and treat the would as if it had been saved"
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Phazael »

My bad, then. Mostly for going by AB. Second time this week it has bit me in the ass this week.
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

No worries, we all misremember the rules form time to time (after all there's so many of them)
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Phazael »

Yeah, I just used to be better at it. Too old and too many editions to keep it all straight, I guess. But there are definitely errors in AB3, unfortunately. I have just been lazy with double checking those sorts of things of late.
seanr
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by seanr »

If you do put her in a unit to eat small arms fire, this seems to me a perfect use for Dryads. As a bonus their base sizes mesh.
Noght
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Empire, Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by Noght »

A buddy noted that the Protection counter vs Cannon ball could potentially come down to sequencing. I'm not sure I buy it.

Here's his argument:

After the failed Ward Save, both the Protection counter and D6 multiple wounds special rule would activate, so as it's the Cannon players turn, the multi-wound rule would activate first burning all the counters and potentially killing the UniWeaver.

I said to him, Multi-wound rolls D6 for unsaved wounds, Protection counter never lets an unsaved wound go through so you never get to that point.
"Spirit of the Game arguments are used by Role Players who get their A$$es kicked by Wargammers."
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

It stops the cannon ball.. one cannon ball ONE SAVE not from the d6 separate wounds. so aka if there is a counter she will be immune to the cannon ball =P
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...