High tokens and Shadow swap

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

~ Wardancer ~
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf , Orc&Golbin , Vampire Counts , Dark Elves

Re: High tokens and Shadow swap

Post by ~ Wardancer ~ »

Each token adds an extra D3 hits. I agree with your scenario of 13 models take an additional D3 hits @ whatever STR the attack is at.
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

hutobega wrote:so we have a token on the enemy. we use a vortex... now you have to what roll a D3 per enemy that is hit by the vortex? or will it just cause d3 hits to one model under the template? or if the template hits lets say 13 models are an additional d3 hit that were not under the template? also making someone take an addition d3 strength tests for any amount of models is just silly in my opinion but out of these 3 scenarios I laid out Which do you all who say you get the D3 hits does? and sorry if this is confusing my head hurts from trying to put my words together haha =P
Each token can only ever add a total of D3 extra hits, but if one model gets D3 extra hits or the total is increased by D3, I cannot say. Although I lean to the latter as it is an effect on the spell, not the hits in particular.
Magnitude
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Magnitude »

This is a very creative use of the wording in the lore attribute, and the wording for templates under the brb (intentional or otherwise). The rules for templates clearly states that templates are used to determine whether or not models have been hit by an attack that has an area of effect or blast radius (brb pg 9). This seems rather clearly worded and would allow you to add D3 hits per token. So in the case of this spell, an additional D3 models would count as being hit per counter on the unit, NOT D3 per model hit, or causing D3 hits.

As for the wording of a vortex (brb pg 31... next to the Spellweaver), it does say that the attack has no target (can hit friend or foe, doesn't require LOS), however it does go on to say that the attack 'uses a template that moves from the caster'. No other details are provided to determine how to resolve the attack. This would mean that the rules for template attacks would need to be followed to resolve the attack, and would again bring us back to the wording for template attacks stating that models under the template are 'hit'.

Seems pretty black and white.
Ariell
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ariell »

Would be great to add this (the dark magic, vengeance tokens) to the FAQ thread so it's easy to find :thumbsup:
Don't play with fire, play with trees!
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Maybe trying to compare it with other characteristic tests could help.
Theorycally, immagine what would happens if you tried to apply this attribute to a spell like, let's assume, Dwellers.
Would you argue that the unit has to take +D3 Str tests? I think I would not.
The spell states that each model of the unit takes a test, thus is autohit. But since every model takes its own test, to which would you allocate the extra D3 hits?