A very one sided 1300 vs DE (1500) Update

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

A very one sided 1300 vs DE (1500) Update

Post by bjoernuhlig »

*Update: I finished the rest of the report and posted the results.

My first Battle Chronicler try, so some things will be a little messed up. I post the lists first, the report comes tomorrow or monday, when I find time to post it. I want to write more reports of my games as it helps to improve my gaming a lot, and it helps with not forgetting stuff in future games. My opponent and I we face each other quite regularly as we are in a friendly gaming group forever (15 years or so).

My List:
Spellweaver (355pts)
(BRB) Dispel Scroll (25pts), (BRB) Talisman of Preservation (45pts), Asrai Longbow (5pts), Level 4 (35pts), Lore of Shadow, Unicorn (60pts)
Naestra and Arahan (275pts) on eagle

Core (425pts)
10x Glade Guard (150pts), Musician (10pts) 10x Hagbane Tips (30pts)
10x Glade Guard (150pts) Musician (10pts) 10x Hagbane Tips (30pts)
5x Glade Riders (95pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)

Special (445pts)
3x Tree Kin (135pts)
3x Warhawk Riders (135pts), Wind Rider (10pts)
5x Wild Riders (140pts) Standard Bearer (25pts) (BRB) Standard of Discipline (15pts) 5x Shields (10pts)

I was unsure on the tree kin. I liked this list when I wrote it up, fast and shooty. Also love the SoT model, but may not bring it in further games or until a faq is written for it as we had a long discussion about wounds... (forgot to mention their rule mess beforehand...)

His List:

Lvl 4 Sorc on Dark Magic with 4++ and the dagger
Lvl 2 Dark with Furions book
Lvl 2 Shadow

24 DE Warriors for LVL 4
19 Corsairs for lvl 2 dark
19 Corsairs for lvl 2 shadow
2 RBT
6 Harpies

His list was a little boring. It was tailored to sit tight, shoot, cast, sacrifice his elfs and wait out. I thought we may not see a single fight the entire game. I will just run and stay at a save distance all game long. The report will adress that, not the most amazing game, but definitely a good training match.Small spoiler, I forgot to deploy the Wild Riders (200P) and only realized it in turn 3....

Well, a day or two and I get the pictures done.
Last edited by bjoernuhlig on 02 Jun 2014, 08:50, edited 2 times in total.
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: 1500 vs DE

Post by bjoernuhlig »

Deployment saw him take a corner, I curse myself for not bringing Scouts. The hill in his DZ is huge, and serves as blocking line of sight, also it is an obstacle, so infantery can only attack it from the north. I drop the forest in my zone to get soft cover, but I will have to move the archers for he is to far away. He starts deploying and he gets to go first as well… Aaaand I did not put the WR on the table. Having them sitting next to the GR I thought they are Ambush troups or something, I don't know what hit me then.

DZ
gg_Andi_1500_Deployment.jpg
His Magic: The Supreme Witch got Power of Darkness, Arznipals black horror, Bladewind and Word of pain. Lvl2 Dark got both sigs, Lvl2 Shadow got the Miasma and the Withering.
My Magic: Miasma, Withering, Pit of Shades, Mind Razor.

As you can see, I forgot to deploy the WR. My idea was to bring them behind the WHR, Vanguard them up as well, and put the hurt on this flank with the left side being held only by shuffling TK. As he didnt have any chaff save the harpies this should have worked well. Alas, they took a long detour through the wrong side of the wildwood waystones. GR wait for their turn, and we startet...

DE Turn 1 Top
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_1_Dark_Elves_Andi.jpg
He shoots the twins and puts 4 Wounds on them with one RBT! We have a discussion about the wounds: he demands the model to be W3 total, as if only one sister is sitting on the back of the eagle. I didn't hear that one before so I just cited all the forums I could find until he gave in. As it is a friendly game I didn't mind, but I might not bring them again or I will definitely clarify before a game which rules we play with.
He doesn’t do much in magic as I am too far away for both his Doombolt or Bladewind. As he roles bad for winds he tries a Power of Darkness, I dispel, tries it with his lvl2 again. She gets it through, gets three dice and loses a wound in return, oh yeah.
The other RBT hits nothing.

WE Turn 1 Bottom
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_1_BJ.jpg

The twins are back and move up, he is upset and wants to read their AB entry. Everything on the right flank moves up and both GG units wlk out of the forest to get in shooting range, a perfect 30 inh to his RBT and Corsairs. I try a miasma on his second RBT but he dispels it and withering doesn’t get through. The twins and WHR get 2 wounds of the RBT on the hill and the GG finishes it off with poison. The second GG unit kills a Corsair or two.

DE Turn 2 Top
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_2_Dark_Elves_Andi.jpg
He shuffles around to get a better look and moves his harpies to stall the assault on his left flank. BC-fail, as it only shows 5 harpies, I put them too far away from each other so that it looks like the WHR could attack. But they stayed outside of my LoS. Magic is utterly useless for him as he roles 2/2 and channels nothing. He throws a dice on PoD but I dispel, the other dice I don’t remember – but nothing came out of it. His RBT shoots and kills 2 GG, you can see it in the next image. I messed up the turns.

WE Turn 2 Bottom
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_2_BJ.jpg
I move to get out of his harpies reach. The GR decide to take a detour through the forest and don’t come on a roll of 2… My Mage throws a Miasma on his RBT but it is dispelled which leaves me to throw 3 dice at a pit of shades. He can’t dispel as I throw only 5s and a 6. I put the template on his corsairs, it scatters 2’’ and hits 18 elves! But I kill only one… I need to bring a second shadow mage next time for double miasma. I5 is to good, I should have known. My flyers on the right shoot down 3 harpies, and I may have killed another corsair or Warrior with the GG.

DE Turn 3 Top
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_3_Dark_Elves_Andi.jpg
He realizes that I won’t go to him, so he must come to kill something. His harpies shuffle behind my flyers and his units march ahead to get in to combat. He kills 4 elves and another 2 with bladewind and RBT-shooting, but he tried to cast a spell (Word of pain I think) and sacrifices 6! Warriors before he stops. I dispel then with my last two dice and he pays heavy for a blatant NO! from Khaine, who just doesn’t support him enough this turn.

WE Turn 3 Bottom
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_3_BJ.jpg
Now, as My GR stumble out of the woods, I realized that my 5 WR went for a ride on the wrong side of the wildwood to never be seen again… The WHR get close enough to the harpies to give them the cold stare. The twins and my mage move closer to shoot and cast, the TK move up to scare him a little. My archers go back to get out of lucky sixes charging distance. I kill 3 corsairs with poison from the GG units, everything else misfires. The WHR try to shoot the harpies in the face, but they roll 3 ones … My magic sees another dispelled Miasma and a failed Pit, so that’s it. Not much happened but I have him surrounded.

DE Turn 4 Top
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_4_Dark_Elves_Andi.jpg
He attacks with harpies which I hold, killing on to see a draw. He splits up his forces and I think WR, WHERE ARE YOU!! Another 3 Warriors die to seek help from Khaine, who grants it and Bladewind can’t be dispelled, killing another round of GG. The RBT kills 2 GR.

WE Turn 4 Bottom
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_4_BJ.jpg
My champ kills the harpies and reforms for the endgame. I move all fast units in the middle and in his rear. The TK move out of the swamp which is an earthblood pond. My GG move up to protect the larger of the two units which has 8 poison shots left. I have 10 PD but what to do with it? The Miasma is dispelled again, Pit fails on 4 Dice with three 2s. Shooting sees dead warriors, I focus fire the warriors to bring them down for the kill.

DE Turn 5 Top
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_5_Dark_Elves_Andi.jpg
He tries to get into Doom Bolt range with his corsairs in the middle. A good shot on the WHR would be painful but he fails to reform. The other corsairs also fails to swift reform and gets into an awkward charging distance to the TK (he needs a 9 or 10). His warriors with the Supreme Witch get in line for Arnzipals Horror. He rolls awful for the winds, getting 4/2. I don’t want to dispel PoD on his lvl2 which was the right decision as she rolls a 5, get’s three dice and dies from losing her last wound. No Doom Bolt for him anymore. Weirdly enough he then elects to throw a Withering on the TK, which I let through, it reduces them to T3 (I will never have to dispel that spell). But the Black horror comes, it is pumped up with a dead Warrior and a dead musician. The sorc is only supported by a Champ and a standard bearer now. The horror kills 1 and 3 elves, but I don’t panic (yet). The RBT kills 2 GR and they choose to run, a mighty 4 inch.

WE Turn 5 Bottom
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_5_BJ.jpg
The WHR pass the Corsairs without even looking at them. Everyone gets ready to shoot the Warriors down to kill the Sorc. My magic is weird again as I have 11 PD but get nothing done… A Pit kills 1 Corsair, that’s it, Miasma is dispelled, withering doesn’t get through either. I do manage to eliminate his Warrior unit and the sorc stand all alone in front of 5 GG with poison (swiftshiver would have been nice). I shoot, and roll double snake eyes, doing nothing…. The TK moved back out of charge distance and that was it.

DE Turn 6 Top
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_6_Dark_Elves_Andi.jpg
The pic shows his lvl two die in the corsairs from PoD, another BC fail as that had happened last round. He turns his corsairs around and runs his Supreme Sorc and the 2nd Corsair unit into the wood. He rolls a 5: Venom Thicket! True Wood Elf luck. His Sorc tests for DT and saves on a 3. The Corsairs make 14 tests and 3 a snatched by the venom fairies. A Bladewind kills my bigger GG unit, the single one GG fails panic and runs into the wood where the Black Horror is waiting. (The picture shows the GG running, that didn’t happen. BC mistake again). GR runs, he shoots down one WHR with his RBT. I got scared here as my mage is sitting on a hill right in front and in short distance to his RBT, but he didn’t realize.

WE Turn 6 Bottom
gg_Andi_1500_Turn_6_BJ.jpg
The last turn sees me shuffling around (the twins actually look at the Corsairs to the right…) and charging his mage with 2 remaining WHR. The lone GG and the lone GR run into the wood but the Black Horror is gone by now. I try to shoot the corsairs down below 50% but alas… not possible anymore. He doesn’t flee cause he may live and save his points. I take a wound of him with the riders, the 4 KB attacks do nothing. She hits thin air and needs a 7 to stand. He rolls double 4s, runs, tests for DT, rolls a 1 if I remember correctly and forgets his 4++. End of very one sided Game.
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: 1500 vs DE

Post by bjoernuhlig »

Result: I lost 300 GG, 105 GR and didn’t deploy the WR (200) which don’t count.
So I have 895 on the board plus 125 for his general and a standard. He gets full points for 2 units of corsairs a mage and a RBT which puts the game at about
DE: 670
WE: 1020

An easy and one sided win due to his bad strategy even with 200p handicap. He actually apologizes for preparing badly and coming to the game with a cheesy list saying that he deserves to lose. I agree  My opponent is the strongest player in our group having not lost a single game in 7th and 8th edition. Last time I played him (with TK) he tabled me completely with a cheese list without actually loosing anything. I expect our next game to be somewhat different, and I look forward to posting the rematch soon.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Re: A very one sided 1300 vs DE (1500) Update

Post by Drstrangelove »

Yeah gotta have the discussion about how you are playing the Sisters of Twilight BEFORE the game starts, otherwise those models will lose you friends. I've played them only once for this reason, just isn't worth losing buddies over.

RBTs have only two wounds (number of crew = number of wounds in 8th edition, you don't use the wounds characteristic of the machine itself), pretty much the only downside to these guys.

I wouldn't call you opponents list cheesy, more one-dimensional..........but also just plain bad, if you are going to do shooting DE list you need to bring a lore other than Dark Magic on your Lv4, bring all warriors and no corsairs,bring 4 RBTs (two is nowhere near enough) bring shades and dark riders, and of course Warlocks. This is quite a soft list, has none of the power choices.

It seems you were quite scared of the harpies; why? Back before we had ASF they might have been a problem, but they are T4 models with no save.......not a problem to kill.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: A very one sided 1300 vs DE (1500) Update

Post by bjoernuhlig »

RBTs have only two wounds
Whooot? :angry: I wont forget this one. I totally ignore his 2nd RBT as it was only once able to make a scary shot on my mage and he opted for another target.
It seems you were quite scared of the harpies
I couldnt charge them myself, and I didnt want to get stuck for a round in CC with them, or have them attack my mage on the unicorn (the have 2 attacks after all).