2000pt all-comers beats Daemons and Dwarfs

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts (rarely)

2000pt all-comers beats Daemons and Dwarfs

Post by Ease »

So this weekend I held a tournament for myself and three friends. After being given the most awesome double-dragon list on these very forums, we then voted to have no named characters, so I had to change my list :p

I went with:

Lvl 4 Spellweaver with Shadow, and Moonstone, on Steed

Glade Captain with HoDA, Spear and LA, on Steed.

10 Glade Guard with Hagbane
10 Glade Guard with Hagbane
5 Glade Riders with Hagbane
5 Glade Riders with Hagbane

6 Sisters of Thorn
6 Wild Riders
8 Deepwood Scouts with the +1 to Wound against Order
8 Deepwood Scouts with the +1 to Wound against Order

8 Waywatchers (no arrow)
8 Waywatchers (no arrow)
1 Eagle

In the end the High Elves army I feared most (he's won about 99% of his games, with no exaggeration) never turned up.

I played the Daemons first, whilst the Dwarf army refereed/made notes on my new army :p

Despite the vote for no named characters, which I redid my list for, he still brought Epidimus, and kept him in some Daemonic Portal all game denying me a fair few points!

The rest of his list was:

Daemon Prince, level 4
Some other wizard, level 1
40 Nurgle Warrior-type guys (I don't know the names of many Daemon units...)
3 Beasts of Nurgles
2 Skullcannons

Using the Curse of Aranrheir (spelling?) I stopped his Nurgles moving turn one. March blocked them with Glade Riders turn two. They never made it to combat, and in the end I killed nearly all of them, leaving a single survivor to start turn five. On our fifth and final turn I shot at that one Nurgle with 20 Glade Guard, 8 Scouts, 8 Waywatchers and my Captain. He survived, denying me a half of the unit's points (we score full points for full destruction, half points for more than half the unit gone).

His Prince came forth on his own, trying to charge Waywatchers... who fled on purpose. I then shot it to death Turn 2, and the Waywatcher rallied (of course!).

His Beasts were scary, but I got Okkam's Mindrazor off on my Sisters, and they decked them with S9 javelins. Then my Wildriders got the charge on them and cleaned them up.

In short, only his Skullcannons did any damage to me at all, and when I charged one of them with an Eagle, Wildriders and a unit of Waywatchers all in one turn I still struggled to beat it in combat. It killed my Eagle, and half a unit of Waywatchers.

In summary, because I couldn't kill Epidimus (he never even came out :() or half of his ridiculous Horde, the score was about 1400 to 200, to the glorious Asrai. The dwarf player announced he had vastly changed his strategy for facing me :(

Dwarves vs Daemons was a bloody mess, with most the Dwarves making a vanguard move on to a hill surrounded by rivers. The Dwarves had 30 Ironbreakers, 40 somethings (tougher than Warriors, with Great Weapons), an Organ Gun, a Cannon and 3 Gyrocopters. The Dwarves did terrible rolling, failing a lot of leadership tests and such, and again the Daemon player got his Prince killed early on and never brought out Epidimus.

Dwarves won about 800points to 300points.

I then played the Dwarves, who got very lucky with terrain. Because our group normally plays with zero terrain, and we were at my house so I insisted on some terrain, we compromised with D3+2 Terrain. So that meant three pieces... a building in each deployment zone, and a Nehekian Sphynx off in one corner... He deployed his cannon in his building, and surrounded it with his infantry; with one unit facing the back of the board in anticipation of the Glade Riders he had seen ambush the Daemons.

His Gyrocopters should have annhilated my troops, as he got off three unit-length breath/steam shots. He rolled terribly though, and killed a Glade Rider all game. My Eagle redeemed it self and killed a Gyro, Wild Riders killed one, and Waywatchers shot one down. It felt good. Then his cannon got a broadside shot on my Wildriders at 44"! I had not anticipated such a long shot, and it of couse killed 4 out of 6, and my Captain that was sitting within. That felt less good.

I cheesed a unit of Glade Riders into a tiny gap at the back of the board behind his building, with the intention of charging his cannon, but his cannon turned around and did its short range attack, killing them all. I then spent the rest of the game at 14" from his two blocks of infantry emptying my quivers, whilst he sat there and returned fire with a single cannon. There was one heated argument where he argued his cannon should be able to shoot my Spellweaver, despite it being behind a two-storey stone building...

His Organ Gun was universally unlucky; killing a couple scouts all game. At one point he got 20 shots off on my Sisters, of which 12 hit. I saved all of them on my 4+ Ward Save. He nearly upended the table...

In the end I beat him about 1400-600. Losing the Captain and half the Wild Riders hurt!

Lessons Learned

Bring arrows on Waywatchers before anyone else; they hit more often and would've gotten more value out of the special arrows.

Eagles are much better than I thought; sure they might not kill anything, but 'disabling' a cannon for two or three turns is awesome.

Glade Riders should never get in combat.

Wood Elves should never get in combat... besides Wild Riders once you've reduced a unit to 10% it's original strength...

Toughness is our enemy; I suspect facing other elves (i.e., the High Elves I was meant to face), or humans, or skaven, would be really advantageous for us.

Leadership 8+ across the board is incredible. You can flee every charge, knowing you'll almost certainly get to rally. Especially if you keep your General just behind your front line.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Re: 2000pt all-comers beats Daemons and Dwarfs

Post by Drstrangelove »

I think most of the lessons you've picked up are pretty well spot on with a lot of WE lists.
i am confused by what you mean with the Waywatchers: these guys can't take magical arrows at all sadly.
Congrats on the wins. Epi and the stupid Portal is kinda gamey, but if everyone still had fun that's all that matters. Plus it looks like it didn't do him any good.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ease »

Ah, well that explains why I didn't give them magical arrows in the first place! I'm still not totally familiar with our new book, due to getting it late on Thursday and having work on Friday, with the tournament starting as soon as I got home!

Epi-in-portal did nothing in my game, besides deny me a chunk of points (I didn't have much left to kill towards the end of the game, bar the 1 Nurgle-warrior-thing that managed literally dozens of ward saves). However, versus Daemons he worked a treat, giving the 40 Nurgles all of their possible bonuses, like the extra strength, toughness and killing blow and such.

Fun was indeed had by all, though the Dwarf player did act like a little bit of a cantankerous dwarf when he realised he'd never get into combat with me. Playing with terrain (for once!) was a delight as well, and I'm hoping that in future we might start using the full and proper amount of terrain...
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

Ease wrote:Playing with terrain (for once!) was a delight as well, and I'm hoping that in future we might start using the full and proper amount of terrain...
I know that feeling! It really does make the game a whole lot funner for everyone :D
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ease »

The best bit was the reveal of Moonstone to the Daemon player who had never seen it before. He let me cast Okkam's Mindrazor, calling me an idiot because my 12" range was miles from his troops. When I then teleported into the woods on the flank of his Beasts he was less happy about my 'idiocy'.
Electric Puha
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Electric Puha »

Okkam's only works for close combat attacks. :(
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ease »

Really? :crazy: I can't check right now, but I could've sworn it just made S = Ld, which affects Javelins... but I could easily be wrong. I don't think not shooting the beasts would have turned the game; I could've cast it on the Wild Riders and charged them instead, but regardless I hope that I didn't get that wrong!
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

I actually can't remember........having never cast in on a unit that uses a thrown weapon with S equal to that of the model, it hasn't come up.
Very innovative use of the spell regardless.
Electric Puha
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Electric Puha »

Yeah, sorry. I wanted to do the same thing with skinks and had it pointed out to me. "...when rolling to wound with all close combat attacks..."
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

Good report.

Your friends don't really seem like good people to play warhammer with though.

Mindrazor is indeed only cc.
I'm confused how you teleported them after casting the spell btw. Moontstone is at the end of the movement phase and mindrazor is not rip.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
Ease
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ease »

I wish I'd paid more attention so that I could've reported turn by turn. My memory doesn't really work like that, so I have to report it from each unit's perspective in turn :(

The daemon player plays purely for fun; he'd prefer to lose in an amusing way than win through seriousness. The dwarf player was just in a mood from very bad dice all day. They might not be the best people to play warhammer in the world (God knows I miss a proper amount of terrain so bad :cry: ) but they're my best friends, and the best people to do pretty much anything else with :D Plus we only play once or twice a year, so we're all pretty out of practise!

And I teleported them before the spell, I just have a very tenuous grasp on time. I often get things in the wrong order... sorry!
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

Np, it's just that your third post doesn't really make sense.

No offence meant at your friends, everybody can have a bad day :)
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
viggo3000
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by viggo3000 »

Dwarfs is a great matchup for Woodies. Its easy to shot of the warmachines if you bring hagbane scouts or trueflight arrows and the stunties cant realy catch the woodelves.