Attaching Araloth

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Tropic
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons (Slaanesh-heavy), Tyranids, Eldar

Attaching Araloth

Post by Tropic »

I haven't seen too much about Araloth since the book came out, likely due to the availability of better Lord choices. Still, he has some interesting aspects that I would like to explore and decided to create a list with him as the General.

During construction I realized that maximizing his rule set isn't as easy as I had thought. Obviously all cav units are out. Joining him to Eternal Guard negates the benefit of his Stubborn as the EG already have it. You could join him to Glade Guard, but you would need to wait for an opposing unit to get dangerously close to the archers before his Skaryn special rule could activate, something that pretty much negates the end goal of keeping your GG out of close combat. He could join up with Dryads, but then the base size differential puts him on the extreme edges and thus susceptible to flank charges. He's not a Scout, so joining Deepwood Scouts isn't an option. And joining Tree Kin has the same issue as the Dryad one, only on a bigger scale.

Joining him to Wildwood Rangers or Wardancers seems to be the best way to maximize his rules to the unit he joins without compromising the purpose of the unit. Rangers and Wardancers are both cc-oriented, which fits with Araloth's lack of shooting. Neither is Stubborn, so Araloth contributes in that respect. Both will wish to close in to combat with the opponent, so Skaryn's range will trigger more often without jeopardizing the unit's intent. And both are Immune to Psychology so there's no worry about Fear or Terror.

What would you attach him to? Or do you think he's better off skirting the backfield alone picking off models one at a time as they come into range?
Minsc
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WFB: WE, WoC, Empire // 40k: Eldar, Orks, CSM, SM, IG.

Re: Attaching Araloth

Post by Minsc »

Tropic wrote: What would you attach him to? Or do you think he's better off skirting the backfield alone picking off models one at a time as they come into range?
I would attach Skaw th...err...Araloth, to WWR's.
SpanielBear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Attaching Araloth

Post by SpanielBear »

To be honest, I think you have it covered. Wild Wood Rangers would actually be the most solid choice for him I reckon. He gives stubborn, which is huge for a relatively flimsy unit, and is a good combat character. War dancers I have found to be most valuable as a "hold-and-die" unit, blocking a charge with a 3++ to enable other units to escape and set up counter-charges the next turn. Araloth is brilliant for the "hold" part of the plan, but given his points, I don't want to risk him running into the second part...
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness.