Much maligned Glade Riders

Moderator: Council of Elders

mabelode
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Much maligned Glade Riders

Post by mabelode »

Inspired by WizzyWarlocks mounted list as well as the EG bus, I thought I'd try a Glade Rider bus list :sexy: .........or not :confused:
The AS's are terrible so I've gone for punch rather than durability (well the best I can anyway) so here goes:

Spellweaver, Lvl 4 Beasts, Steed, Rhymers Harp and Dispel Scroll 368
Highborn, Steed, Dawnspear, AoSS, AoN and Potion of Foolhardiness 273

Noble, Steed, HotH, Murder of Spites, Sp, LA and Sh 143
Noble, Steed, Glittering Scales, Ruby Ring, Sp and Sh 141
Noble, BSB, Steed, HoDA, Asyendi's Bane, Dragonhelm and LA 154

20 x GR, Full Comand 516
20 x GG, SB, Mus, BoEF 268
10 x GG, Mus 126
8 x Dryads 96

6 x Treekin 390

2 x Eagles 100

Would have LOVED to put the 'Weaver on a Unicorn but didn't want to lose the Fast Cav.
Based on a 2600pt list I've still got 25 left over :ninja: .
I've got the models to try it but I reckon my Wild Riders will revolt if I turn them into Glade Riders...............I'll keep an eye out for the Wild Hunt coming up my street!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Much maligned Glade Riders

Post by Mollesvinet »

Sorry to inform you that the unit size of glade riders is 5-10. If you want 20 cavalry in a single unit, you have to go with wild riders.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

20 Glade riders.
Cool!
........if it wasn't for the fact that your list has only one palpable threat in a 2500 point list......and it isn't your GR bus.
It hits weaker than a unit of Orc boyz. And is decidedly more expensive and obviously less durable (by a factor of about 3).

if you REALLY want to do this (and you would have to come to terms with losing often unless the dice go your way a lot) you need to actually build it as a combat unit:
-BSB needs to have razor standard and hide in the 2nd rank.
-The other two nobles need to be kitted for killing things in close combat. Not kinda combat-y, kinda with other random items/spites

And you definitely need magic resistance on your weaver instead of the dispel scroll. A boosted fireball will cut the unit in half without it.

But in all seriousness, this is almost the weakest list I've ever seen. Glade riders are sadly just so overpriced for what they are, and combat nobles are not much better for their price either. When you consider what opponents will be able to bring for the same, I can only hope you have friends that like to play fluffy rubbish for fun and you arrange the game in advance as a super silly fluffy one.

EDIT: ah yeah, units sizes.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
mabelode
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by mabelode »

From Mollesvinet
Sorry to inform you that the unit size of glade riders is 5-10. If you want 20 cavalry in a single unit, you have to go with wild riders.
#$%!&*#!.........that's why I stick with my WR's

From Drstrangelove;
Glade riders are sadly just so overpriced for what they are
Oh I know, just wanted to give 'em a little love and make them feel wanted, after all they didn't even get their own kindred, just got bunched in with all the other Lakoys :tear:

Ah well, looks like they're still on the nose :(
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

I don'th think they needed their own kindred. Since I recently learned form this site, that if a lord/hero is mounted n an elven steed then they gain the fast cav special rule, which means you could put any lord in with them. :D

I usually only have 1 unit of 5. I have played with more. I always take a unit of WR though, with a WR-kindred. 9WR w/full com, 1 Noble WR-kindred w/dawnspear 7 the uit carries the Razor standard.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
albertoalter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by albertoalter »

The problem in that kind of lists are our LORE CHOICE

Life an Beasts (don't talk about athel loren) can't deal a lot of damages. You need Death, Metal and maybe Heavens.

In ETC, a friend of mine play a list whit 2x10 GR + 5X10 GG, whit 6 character all in one Glade Rider unit. So that unit gain 5++ (Harp), 2++ vs Magic (magic resistance 3) and so on.
And it's ROCK !! It's a kind of list when you have to stay avay from big cc units, but you will not lose that unit.

(in ETC every wood elves mage can choose every lore)
Winter Wood Elves from 2005
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

I honestly find that in this edition of war hammer so many armies can just rely on magic to do so much. All too often I hear about the orb spells or dwellers. I'm kinda sick of magic now in warhammer. Give wood elves death magic and bam we can wipe out entire units. lol nobody should be able to kill so easy :( just my two cents. I wish GR were a little cheaper I have 12 of them and love the models but i can't see spending 120 points on 5 models to get killed so easy. even with movement you can get out of range of all shots.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

If Glade riders were 15 points they would be a solid choice.
But not at their present price
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"