Random mount questions

Moderator: Council of Elders

craobhruadh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Random mount questions

Post by craobhruadh »

Hey all, I was going through the various questions and several important questions popped up that would be of significance to our characters and monstrous cavalry.

First, the most recent FAQ has (sort of) cleared up the question of Eternal kindred and great weapons and all of those other stuff, but what about Eternal Kindred characters on horses/Eagles/other mounts? Does it grant a +1 to their 5+ save, giving them a total of 4+ armor save?

Second, the main rulebook FAQ had this addition:
Page 83 – Monstrous Cavalry.
In the second paragraph, replace “All the cavalry rules...with
one exception – monstrous cavalry always use the highest
Wounds characteristic...” with “All the cavalry rules...with
two exceptions – monstrous cavalry always use the highest
Toughness and Wounds characteristics...”
which would imply that our warhawk riders and Eagle nobles/highborns are now toughness 4? This is pretty significant if it is so.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Random mount questions

Post by frogboy »

When did you notice this ?

Warhawks are toughness 3 and I'm sure Eternal Kindred has to be on foot but don't have my Army book here...
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

They would get their +1 for being mounted, as it's only weapons or armour that are not allowed to modify the armour save. It does make me curious as this is a question I've never bothered finding an answer for: Does an Eternal Kindred retain Stubborn when alone, or does he have to be a part of an Eternal Guard unit?

Warhawk Riders are still T3 as the mounts are T3, so no change there, but Eagle riders do indeed get T4, hence why so many people are now taking Eagle Riders in their lists.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Its the Eternal Guard unit which benefits from being stubborn it says so in the WE army book under their special rules.
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

frogboy wrote:Its the Eternal Guard unit which benefits from being stubborn it says so in the WE army book under their special rules.
Ah, just checked and an Eternal Kindred doesn't get the Bodyguard special rule. A shame, might have been a reason to actually take an Eternal Kindred.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Eternal Kindred do not have to be infantry. However you'd only get 5+ armor save no matter what, according to the FAQ.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
eichhornchen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by eichhornchen »

Hello,

I don't want to hijack the thread, just to add: Warhawks are indeed T3, BUT fwiw they are stubborn in a forest, as they are a unit of flyers and hence gain the skirmish rules. I know it does not neccessarily make sense to put your warhawks into a forest, but if you do, rest assured that they are stubborn.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Hah! Yes, but the hit and run rule means they never take a break test so it's irrelevant. In addition, they'd need to take a dangerous terrain test when they fall back.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

godswearhats wrote:Hah! Yes, but the hit and run rule means they never take a break test so it's irrelevant. In addition, they'd need to take a dangerous terrain test when they fall back.
I don't think they'd have to take dangerous terrain. Aren't all wood elves forest strider?
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Except anything that flies.
craobhruadh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by craobhruadh »

Thanks all, I misread the entry for warhawk riders and thought they were T4. A pity, that would have made it worth it.

Looking more closely at the FAQ, it's pretty clear about normal armor/weapons and magical weapons/armor. I'm still not sure what it means for mounts. For that matter, do Eternal Kindred characters count as having two hand weapons and a spear while mounted (thus having +1 attack, and +1 strength on the charge)?
Q:If a model has Eternal Kindred, how does Eternal Guard
Fighting Style affect other weapons or magic weapons the model is
equipped with? What about armour or magic armour? (p18)
A: No matter what weapons or armour the model has, the
Eternal Guard Fighting Style takes precedence and causes it to
fight as if armed with two hand weapons in close combat
(meaning bonuses such as the +2 Strength fora great weapon
are lost)and to have a 5+ armour save(rendering additional
armour permissible but pointless). The exception to the above
is that if a model has a magic weapon or magic armour, they
lose the Eternal Guard Fighting Style special rule.
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Totally the wrong ruling on that faq. I'm sorry but IMO GW screwed up big time on that one, i loved 2+ armor save eagle nobles :cry:
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

@crabheard,

Eternal Guard have a 5+ armour save and count as using 2 hand weapons. It doesn't matter if there riding a mount as that counts as extra equipment. They don't get plus 1 strength from charging because they are not armed with spears.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

In addition to my last point the argument is pointless and not worth thinking about as there are far cheaper ways to equip a noble and gain the same benefits. For example, noble with light armour spear dragon helm mounted on an eagle. But we all know there are even better builds, eternal kindred was good before they FAQed it but now its pointless.
Last edited by frogboy on 12 Nov 2013, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
strategem
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Ogres

Post by strategem »

frogboy wrote:@crabheard,

Eternal Guard have a 5+ armour save and count as using 2 hand weapons. It doesn't matter if there riding a mount as that counts as extra equipment. They don't get plus 1 strength from charging because they are not armed with spears.
And isn't it in the BRB that you don't gain any benefit from using two hand weapons when mounted. ie: no extra attack
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Eternal Guard mounted would get an additional attack as they are not armed with AHW. They are using their fighting style and gain an additional attack from that.

But good point well brought out

:D