WE vs DoC 1250pts

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

WE vs DoC 1250pts

Post by Sidewinder »

This post is because of a suggested Highborn I made in another thread. http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2 ... 12#p310312
I figured I should actually try what I recommend.
Kudos to everyone that have posted well written battle reports. You make it look easy.

WE OOB
General Highborn on elven steed, great weapon, longbow, AoN, Armour of the Fey, Obsidian Trinket, Other Trickster's Shard (did not have the points for an eagle)
BSB noble with great weapon, longbow, Armour of Silvered Steel, Potion of Foolhardiness
Level 2 Spellsinger with Deepwood Sphere
11 GG w/musician
2 X 8 Dryad
3 Warhawk Riders
6 Waywatchers
2 X GE

DoC OOB:
Daemon Prince, 2nd level mage and other stuff
2 X flamers
1 X fast cav
1 X unit Pink Horrors
other stuff

The only important part of the game.
DP has Always Strike first and Highborn has great weapon. DP swings first. I inform DoC player that he can only hit with "6s". He rolls none.
Highborn makes contact with all To Hit attempts and then gets three wounds through armor and ward saves. DP is down to two wounds.
We ended the game there because of time constraints.
Incidentally, this is a very poor Highborn build.

Edited to get rid of extraneous junk.
Last edited by Sidewinder on 03 Sep 2013, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: WE vs DoC 1250pts

Post by Mollesvinet »

Wouldn't it be better to take the armour of destiny instead of Armour of the Fey + Obsidian trinket?

It would give you one better armor save, 4++ against everything including non-magical weapons and spells (making obsidian trinket nearly redundant). All you lose is the magic resistance for the unit the higborn joins.

Granted, Armour of the Fey is more fluffy than Armour of Destiny.

Edit: Just realized you probably wrote the list already knowing you would face daemons and therefore magical attacks, i think the advice is still sound as protection against spells and shooting though. Otherwise i would probably change the trinket for dragonbane gem, in case of flaming cannons and flamers.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Yes, both of your suggestions would have been an improvement over what I chose. This game was an opportunity for me to try items that I normally would never use.
The opponent wanted to play a 1350 point game. I had an old list already written. It was a rather odd list for me with Warhawk Riders which I don't use that much. Also, I never use Highborns and would not think of using one in low point games. I tweaked a few things on the Highborn and that's about it.
The DoC player is rather new. He's played about 12 or so games so far. He started at about 700 points and has steadily increased his model count. So far most of his games has been essentially ties with him having +/-100 points or so compared to his opponents. He's played mostly against WE and had a game against a relatively new High Elf player. DoC easily beat the HE player.
New DoC player is starting to get full of himself and his army. He seems to have picked up a dismissive attitude towards elves. I had a feeling that he felt it was going to be a cakewalk with his new Demon Prince. Yeah, so I had an HB that I hope could last at least 3 rounds against the DP, making it turn five before the DP is set loose. I was quite surprised and concerned that the DP received three wounds on the first round. His losing the DP within two rounds would have been just as bad as if the HB was lost early.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I am also a fan of trying out diffent odd armies, though i must admit that i am not so creative when it comes to magic items. I didnt even remember what they armour of the fey did before i read your post and looked it up.

My gaming group also have a DoC player which is getting a bit full of himself, he plays all out nurgle with skull cannons. Never changes his list... its quite annoying. But yeah, the highborn does really well against DoC Daemon Princes. Good thing you thaught him a lesson there :)