My Woodies.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Diarsid
Newcomer
Newcomer

My Woodies.

Post by Diarsid »

Hi all!

Im novice on this forum, but I have collected the Wood elves already for several years. Now I want to show them on asrai : )

First of all, my archmage. He was converted from model of lord on great eagle.
ImageImage

For all my lords and heroes models I make such spites:
ImageImage

Here are some of my infantry models – eternals and dancers. Now I use eternal guard models in wardancers units.

All my “wardancers” with archmage among them

Centaurs - Wild riders, which were converted from elven steeds and marauder bodies:

My glade guards
ImageImage

I always want to have in my army some fairy models, forest spirits without material form, which consist of strange, mysterious light. So, I sculpted these models, that count as dryads in my army.

There are also bigger spirits, which count as treekins. This is first such spirit in my army
ImageImageImage

There are one more spirit, which also count as treekin. One day I came into our WH shop and saw this reaper model of water elemental. Instantly I realized, that I have to buy him : )
ImageImage

Also, I don’t like, that all GW forest spirit models have humanoid form. I decided to create some forest spirits in form of little dragons or something like that.
ImageImage

Dragon-like treekin
ImageImageImage

There is one more model, which also count as dryad. Something like elemental of earth.
ImageImageImage

Two my spirit-like great eagles

Hope, you like them. Because I like them very much : )
Soon I will show more dryads, few treekins and WIP of my treeman : )
HippieWithLongbow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: My Woodies.

Post by HippieWithLongbow »

Very cool! I think your painting skill is Amazing and the army feels very uniqe!
apexkitano
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: wood elves, vampires

Post by apexkitano »

Wow very nice. Never seen any conversions like this, love your style and painting.
Follow me on the twittersphere @cdhay
beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Eldar, maybe some more when I get the money

Post by beno »

these are wicked! Love the crazy forest spirits and the spites. Your freehand work in particular stands out as really clean and crisp - lovely :nod:
Artisans-Workshop Miniature Painting
Loads of painting and model type stuff, including commission work
Rab
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Rab »

Those are superb. I love the spites, and the centaur conversions are great.
my wood elf army pblog
Dragon halitosis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Dragon halitosis »

This is some of the most eye catching painting I have seen in a goodly while. I like your take on the figures... painting style of your own and not confined by convention. If u have more I would like to see it.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Brilliant !
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

Holy crap, those spirit models are amazing! Keep up the good work! :D
Ellysia_Banearrow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ellysia_Banearrow »

I really like those spirits, so cool! The cloaks on the elves were also very nice, how on earth did you do it on such tiny models? I can barely paint eyes on my warhawks, much less paint delicate spirals on their cloaks! Any tips you have for sculpting is welcome as well.
Check out my set of rules updated to 8th ed! I need more play-testing, so be sure and let me know what you guys thing!

http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24776
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Excuse me whilst I tuck my tongue back in my mouth and pick my jaw back up off the floor. If you were just trolling for compliments YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE. Hot damn! Crisp and clean painting style coupled with an imiginative and (as far as I know) unique set of creations. I flat out love the blend of autumn quivvers with summer cloaks. The detailing is fantastic. Bronze or copper weapons! Nice touch.

Diarsid my hat is most humbly off to you...

...and I'm going to risk speaking for the whole of the Asrai community here - feel free to post up more pics ANYTIME.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
HorridStonefish
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by HorridStonefish »

Diarsid these are simply amazing. I am filled with equal amounts of envy and inspiration, the lighting effects are beautiful and free hand is georgeous.

I've always thought the forest spirits too structured and i love the fluidity of your works. Did you draw inspiration from Princess Mononoke? If not check it out i think you may gain some more ideas from there, not that you are lacking.

The 'little' spirit dragons are superb.

I cant make myself look away, encore!! show us more.
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

One of the best painted wood elf armies I've seen!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Billthesurly wrote:Excuse me whilst I tuck my tongue back in my mouth and pick my jaw back up off the floor. If you were just trolling for compliments YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE. Hot damn! Crisp and clean painting style coupled with an imiginative and (as far as I know) unique set of creations. I flat out love the blend of autumn quivvers with summer cloaks. The detailing is fantastic. Bronze or copper weapons! Nice touch.

Diarsid my hat is most humbly off to you...

...and I'm going to risk speaking for the whole of the Asrai community here - feel free to post up more pics ANYTIME.

Just.....what he said!

Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Rowena
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Rowena »

Wow, these are simply stunning. So magical... The colours, the patterns, the ideas, the conversions... all just perfect. Absolutely amazing :drool: :drool: :drool:
Please, will you post more pictures?
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

What an absolute joy to see such a unique and beautifully painted army. Thank you for sharing your work with us. Asrai is all the richer for it! If I had to pick something standout, it would have to be the Great Eagles for me; the way you have painted them is sublime.

An Army picture would be very welcome.
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Glory_of_the_Forest »

One of the nicest looking armies I've ever seen, how did you make the things (ALL OF THEM), what materials etc. I would love a WIP shot of conversion, creation or painting.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

Wow! your army is out of this world!!!
Very impressive!!!
Can we see a pic of the whole collection?
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
Diarsid
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Diarsid »

Thanks to all for yours appreciations and good reviews! I really appreciate them!
how on earth did you do it on such tiny models? I can barely paint eyes on my warhawks, much less paint delicate spirals on their cloaks!
Its practice only. I have been painting warhammer for six years or something near that. Painting thin freehands is not so hard, as you think. You need only three things for it – time, inspiration and your will to implement this.

I would like to give some tips, but I don’t know what exactly you want to know. Also, unfortunately I feel my English isn’t enough well to explain some paint and sculpt “secrets” or describe the process of creation correctly. So I can be able not to answer some question in full, or it may be hard for me. But I will try, of course.
how did you make the things (ALL OF THEM), what materials etc. I would love a WIP shot of conversion, creation or painting.
Well, I have some WIP models, so I can do some photos.
Materials, which I use for sculpt are Tamiya epoxy putty and standard yellow-grey Milliput, that’s all.
Did you draw inspiration from Princess Mononoke?
Shame on me, I but don't know, who is it, but I will google it. Thanks for your advice.

What did inspire me? Generally it was my own imagination and my own seeing of wood elves. I don’t like a large part of our current background, which relate with angry of forest spirits, their dark souls, fury of all asrai and killings of all non-asrai. They don’t look like a fantasy forces of order, I think. That’s why I refused from buying GW forest spirit models because they really look evil. After I had realized I want to collect wood elves few years ago, I decided to create them much better and kinder.
Maybe, there is also some influence of WarCraft III style (I was fan of it in my youth, and I still like it), but not very strong, I think.

But in case of little earth elemental, I was inspired by one old film – “Merlin” with Sam Neill. There was one moment, when Merlin left the Sword into the stone. Then it was seen, that the “stone” was in fact a fist of huge stone giant. This scene and image of that giant inspired me to create several model in “earth creature” style. It will be several more such creatures in my army – treekin, treeman, and maybe branchwraith. First model of three (perhaps) treekin was finished recently, but it is still unpainted. I can do the photo of unpainted model, if you want.

What about showing more photos of my entire army, unfortunately I haven’t huge collection yet. In fact I already show most of my works : ( Sculpting and painting models of such quality usually takes a lot of time. For example, I spent near 8 hours to paint 1 archer.

I have a lot of ideas and a lot of unpainted and unassembled minis include rare and old figures, but now I really have not a lot of free time to work with them. For example, I am filled with idea of different centaur heroes, which will count as wild rider highborn/noble on great stage and centaur-druid which will count as glamourwave mage on steed or unicorn. But unfortunately, I don’t know when I will have time to make them.

But, in few days I will show some more models, including WIP, as I have said above.
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Glory_of_the_Forest »

WHen my camera is fixed I can show you some of mine, it takes me 8 hours to finish a model 1/2 the quality of yours, and I still can't pain the eyes XD
Kojibear
Master Greeter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines - Orginal Chapter, Cryx, The Viktorias (Malifaux), Elves (Cutlass)

Post by Kojibear »

All your hard has definitely resulted in something truly unique and unquestionably beautiful! You have captured the magic of Athel Loren and painted in on your miniatures. The free hand, the colours, the choices of miniatures, all components of a spell to dazzle your opponents. :)
Mandrako
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Sisters of Battle

Post by Mandrako »

My jealousy knows no bounds! This is the best looking models I've seen for a very long time! Bravo!
"Before we shed our blood in battle, lets hear it pound in our veins! Dance warriors! Life gets no sweeter than this!" ~Kahvi
zelda_11
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by zelda_11 »

I think my brain just exploded. :crazy:

How did you make the yellow tree spirit that attaches to the base of the mage? Did you use green stuff?

Does it attach to the base with a magnet?
Diarsid
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Diarsid »

Thanks to all! I really appreciate your reviews!
Does it attach to the base with a magnet?
Yes, of course. I use 3 mm diameter magnets to attaching such spirits.

The spirit was done enough simply.
First, I imagine the future spirit's form, and plan on how it will be placed around the mage's model. Then I take a piece of usual paper clips as a frame. I bend it to give it the planned form. After it I sculpt spirit's "body" on this frame. For such sculpting i use Tamiya epoxy putty.
Maelstrom
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Maelstrom »

Great job and a great idea for the sprites. What line of paints/brushes do you use?
Diarsid
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Diarsid »

Thanks. I use vallejo game color and model color lines, but i think MC is a bit better then GC. Also I like paints produced by russian company "Zvezda".
What about brushes, I use brushes numbers 1 and 2 (kolinsky, serie 1110) produced by also russian company "Chernaya rechka". Need to say, 90% of russian miniature painters prefer to use brushes of this company, because they are high quality, very durability and very, very cheap - something near $1-1,5 (this is not an ad :) ).
I tried to use GW brushes (fine detail) and I concluded they are low quality. But, it is only my personal opinion.