Playable models in 8th?

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mwoods44
Newcomer
Newcomer

Playable models in 8th?

Post by Mwoods44 »

Hey guys, Its been along time since ive played warhammer but Im hoping to get back into it in Italy where me and my wife just got stationed. I dusted off my old box of wood elves and was wondering if my "Ariel mage queen of Loren" ( the giant model ) and Orion King in the woods ( this one http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics1 ... eb09fa.jpg ) are still playable in 8th? I also have some old OOP waywatchers,treekin and the old Forest dragon. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Jirin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Playable models in 8th?

Post by Jirin »

I have no experience with the Mage Queen, but everything else is 100% legal to use.
Mwoods44
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mwoods44 »

ok awesome, thanks for the reply. Next question, the mage queen is missing her hand with the staff, is it possible to replace it with another part and have it still be legal for play??

Also, I noticed most people dont seem to even be using any of the heroes or special characters lately??
Jirin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jirin »

Orion is extremely expensive, and generally not worth it. Same with Drycha, IIRC.

The twins can be extremely fun if you use them with the Hawk, not sure about the Dragon.
Mwoods44
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mwoods44 »

hmm ok. So is it possible to attach another piece to a model and have it still be legal??

Special characters aside Im probably only sitting on 10 waywatchers, a treekin and two Glade Riders. From looking at some lists it looks like im going to want to pick up some Wardancers, a great eagle or two, a bunch of Glade Guards and some more treekin in 8th?
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

And Dryads. Don't forget at least ~16-24 Dryads. TWO Great Eagles. (The plastic kit from the Hobbit w two eagles in it is considered quite the good buy.) You might as well bite the bullet and grab a Treeman too while you're at it.

As for replacing Ariel's arm - that shouldn't be a problem. You obviously have the base model so it is "legal". Any changes you make would be considered conversion which is also legal as long as the base model is GW. For instance, painting and modeling Glade Riders so that they can go back and forth between being Glade Riders and Wild Riders is a pretty common dodge. And anyway as far as "legal" is concerned, that is only going to be a problem, and not all that much of a problem, if you go to a specific GW tournament or are playing in a strictly enforced GW shop. At least, that's the way it is around here. I've never been to Italy.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Ellysia_Banearrow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ellysia_Banearrow »

A unit or 2 of Wild Riders can be really fun and tick off players with high armor save cavl, like Dragon Princes or Grail Knight. Put a noble in there with the killing blow spear, as well as a banner of razor standard, and your good. I have done that, and they survived 2 turns of close combat or more against Grail knights, with a bsb in the unit. Warhawk riders, Get them and don't glue the riders to the birds. Same price as Great Eagles, and you get the models to make Warhawk Widers too. They served me well today, surviving a couple rounds of constant close combat. 2-3 total boxes of Glade Guard, 1-2 boxes of dryads, subbing the Glade Riders you have for Wild Riders and at least 1 box of tree kin, and you should be good to start playing some basic games again. FYI, for an actual model count, thats, 48 Glade Guard, )24 dryads, 3 treekin, 8 Glade Riders (or 2 boxes of 5 Wild Riders, making 10) and that should get you started. Highly reccommend ebay for some things, as I bought 3 Warhawks for $35.
Check out my set of rules updated to 8th ed! I need more play-testing, so be sure and let me know what you guys thing!

http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24776