Git's Gallery and Asrai army blog

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Git's Gallery and Asrai army blog

Post by Git »

I'm not the best painter or modeler out there, but I think it's nice to have a place to show your models without having to hijack other people's threads.

This thread is not for showing how great a painter I am, just a place to keep some pictures of my Wood Elves. If my (lack of) painting skills make any of you feel better about your own models I'm fine with that. Some of the models I'm going to present here is at a barely table top ready level. Others are better, I think. I never really like criticism but that's the only way to get better, so please comment and criticize! Compliments and flattery is also very welcome. Hopefully this thread may make me do a better effort in finishing more models faster.

A couple of characters, more recently painted.

The Old Guard repainted this year, but without very much effort.

WIP Tree Kin convertion

Size comparison
kaiser_resiak
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Chaos warriors, wood elves

Re: Git's Gallery and Asrai army blog

Post by kaiser_resiak »

I like your treekin conversions - especially the one on the right. I think the paint jobs on your elves would benefit from a few washes and tidying up around the edges, though (so there isn't any paint from the skin on other parts of the miniature, than where it's supposed to be). The dryad on the other hand looks quite nice.
The Vengeful Asrai - my wood elves
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Thanks! I like some of my old-dryad-to-tree-kin conversions very much as well. I have another one that is quite similar to the one on the right, but with elongated legs instead of body.
My elves are sort of WIP in these pictures, though I'm not sure if I'll bother doing more on the old archers. I haven't gotten washes to work very well on them yet, as they more or less consist of smooth surfaces. The characters are better in that aspect, and the picture of the highborn is not how it looks at the moment. I do not have newer pictures, but will try to remember to take some soon.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

This is my first try on converting a Wild Rider. It's based on an Elven Steed, and legs and head from the Glade Riders set. The torso is a WoC Marauder, the arms are parts from Dark Elves and Beastmen. The cloak is from another company. It's also my first attempt at sculpting fur, but since it's a rank-and-file model I'm not too worried about the result. Still very much a WIP though.

Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Those wildriders are looking good I say. The "buff" torso suits them well. Where did you get their furcapes from?

Edit: just a reminder. Dint forget to trim the moldlines on the GR legs....
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Thanks. I have this awful tendency to overlook the largest mold lines, or if I see them I forget after two seconds.

I got the fur capes from this store (I think): http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php It's in Poland, if I'm not mistaken.
Eru-Andon'Fang
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Eru-Andon'Fang »

What Elven steed are you using? I like their pose (up on rear legs rather then just trotting/galloping).

Is that a Treeman next to the Treekin? It might be a tad big, nothing wrong with that, just sayin. I really like the Treekin conversions.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

I'm using the regular WE Glade Rider steed. I just cut away everything beneath the hooves. The one in the background of the first picture is an Empire Pistolier horse, but that one doesn't look so good.
That's a Treeman, all right. It's quite big, but including the branches on top (which I'll cover with some canopy material) it's barely taller than a Giant. For a model that's 40 % more expensive than the giant I think it's all right if it's that big (it's a walking tree!).
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

I'm kind of slow in updating this thing. I haven't done much work in the last few months, though, but I am speeding up now that I play in Sentinels of Shadows: Crossing Paths (the asrai.org online campaign which every one of you should join!).

I just wanted to post an army shot of my 2k to 2500 list which still lacks a dozen dryads and a real BSB model. Most of these models are still very much WIP, but some are closer to finished.

Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

Use some wash on your models; it will do the magic!
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

I know. :) That's next on the list for very many of them. Almost everything is WIP yet.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Things moving slowly here. When I work on my asrai it tends to be just a little here and a little there. But months ago I finished a model, except for its base, and today I finally got around to basing and taking pictures. It might not be the coolest looking, or scariest ever, but it is completely scratchbuilt.

My Treeman.

And a size comparison:
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

The Wood Whisperer
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by The Wood Whisperer »

Nice dragon!
I really like the yellowish green on the wings.
Might steal that idea ;)
GreenmanG
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves but still have a special place in my heart for W40k Orks

Post by GreenmanG »

Really cool dragon! :)
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Thanks guys!

This model has stood on the shelf for a long time, intimidating me. I finally started painting it this Easter. Now I came to the point where I was making more mistakes when I fixed the previous ones, so I call it finished. I have a rider too, but that model is not painted yet. I have magnetized the saddle and the rider, so it can be taken off if need be.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Over the last year and a half I've actually finished a few models for my wood elf army, even though my main focus has been on my other two armies.

In my rather old picture of a 2k-2.5k army above, there are some Treekin and Dryads. Here are better pictures, including some models that fill those empty bases.

Treekin:

Dryads:
I prefer the look of the second unit, and wish I had painted the first in the same way. :)

I have also made a bunch of ready-to-paint models.

Branchwraiths/extra dryads:

Dragon Rider Highborn:

Eagle Rider:
The eagle is actually a plastic toy model. It's a rather good sculpt and factory paint job. I've only Devlan Mudded and touched up minor parts.

Eternal Guard, 21 models, some new metal, some old spearmen and some converted old spearmen. The conversions are actually some of my oldest conversion work and the weapons are **** ugly. I do keep them as they are though, since they remind me that I am better now than I were.

In addition to these I have unpainted Wardancers and half painted Glade Guards. I enjoy playing this army, but I've really struggled finding motivation to paint the elves. Thanks for looking through this long post. :)
Last edited by Git on 21 May 2014, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Spellsinger
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Spellsinger »

I love those old Glade Guard. I generally do like the idea of using old models but usually find myself swayed by the newer ones in reality, but not with glade guard! Those ones you have look so much cooler than the already brilliant current glade guard, especially from behind with those rippled cloaks.

Your paint job is basic but functional and I like the colour scheme and, as you may have guessed, the choice of models. I will be starting work on 35 of those old Glade guard from next week. Love the fact that they are, in my opinion, better looking than the current models and still dirt cheap on ebay as well as so quick and easy to paint!

Good work, hope to see more!
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Thanks, but I'll have to say that those old Archers are not a choice but rather left-overs from 5th edition when I started playing. :)

And the paint job is not finished either, so basic is what you get. :P
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Back from page 9.
New book means new motivation. Finished up some old stuff. And then I found two more old metal scouts hiding. Will finish them when I do the last touch-ups on the Waywatchers.

The musician is an old Glade Guard (before they were known as Eternal Guard) model. I have a newer musician for the EG unit, and use this guy with my archers.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Finished up a couple of Spellweavers.

Aaaaand I realized I never posted my Wild Rider unit that lost the painting competition earlier this year... When I actually finished something I forgot to post it... :o

Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Cool conversions...I like the two headed horse...is there a story behind that one?
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Thanks! Yeah, it's a really long story. One day I had one body and two heads on my desk.Then creativity happened. :P

I've been working with layering better, but I just couldn't get them to show on the flying Spellweaver's dress. Maybe if I had daylight, not a sharp desktop light, but it was difficult to see a difference even after five layers highlighting less and less.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Git »

Thanks! Yeah, it's a really long story. One day I had one body and two heads on my desk.Then creativity happened. :P

I've been working with layering better, but I just couldn't get them to show on the flying Spellweaver's dress. Maybe if I had daylight, not a sharp desktop light, but it was difficult to see a difference even after five layers highlighting less and less.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

I know. Pictures can really murder layering, the softer the transitions the flatter it looks when the cameraflash or the lighting burns away all the shades. I've heard somewhere that if you paint for photography, the minis need really stark highlights...maybe that's why the heavy metal guys paint models in such gleaming Colors sometimes.

I've found that using a light box helps a lot on the photos. Search YouTube. Lots of good tutorials on simple and cheap light boxes there.

That item is a horse...