Good Tactica on Wood Elves

Moderator: Council of Elders

craobhruadh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Good Tactica on Wood Elves

Post by craobhruadh »

Thanks for keeping your blog updated! As someone who only got into wood elves in the last year, your articles and battle reports have been really helpful, it's probably the highest level strategy place on the internet that I refer to.

One thing I was wondering, I notice you often run a 18-25+ Eternal Guard unit in your army. Can you comment on what you use it for how you use it? I normally find that glade guard are better in almost all circumstances, and that in combat Eternal Guard do well against anything toughness 3 or lower, but go splat against anything toughness 4 or higher (which is most of the armies I face regularly).
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

craobhruadh wrote:One thing I was wondering, I notice you often run a 18-25+ Eternal Guard unit in your army. Can you comment on what you use it for how you use it? I normally find that glade guard are better in almost all circumstances, and that in combat Eternal Guard do well against anything toughness 3 or lower, but go splat against anything toughness 4 or higher (which is most of the armies I face regularly).
Eternal Guard are a force multiplier unit in a Wood Elven army. By force multiplier I mean they make the other units in the Wood Elf army even stronger by providing the ranks, standards, and probably a character bunker for your BSB on top. By doing this, units of Treekin for instance, will gain large amounts of static combat resolution, negate enemy Steadfastness, and if the crap hits the fan, usually your General + BSB will be right next to your Treekin unit in the Eternal Guard, thus providing higher leadership and a re-roll for your break test. In this way, the Eternal Guard don't even really have to provide damage output to be effective, but with the right character support they can even add some of that as well as being more survivable.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Ulthwe` Eldar, Black Templars, Beastmen, Bretonnians

Post by Sylvos »

Shandrakor wrote:
craobhruadh wrote:One thing I was wondering, I notice you often run a 18-25+ Eternal Guard unit in your army. Can you comment on what you use it for how you use it? I normally find that glade guard are better in almost all circumstances, and that in combat Eternal Guard do well against anything toughness 3 or lower, but go splat against anything toughness 4 or higher (which is most of the armies I face regularly).
Eternal Guard are a force multiplier unit in a Wood Elven army. By force multiplier I mean they make the other units in the Wood Elf army even stronger by providing the ranks, standards, and probably a character bunker for your BSB on top. By doing this, units of Treekin for instance, will gain large amounts of static combat resolution, negate enemy Steadfastness, and if the crap hits the fan, usually your General + BSB will be right next to your Treekin unit in the Eternal Guard, thus providing higher leadership and a re-roll for your break test. In this way, the Eternal Guard don't even really have to provide damage output to be effective, but with the right character support they can even add some of that as well as being more survivable.
Shandrakor summed it up nicely. I really try to use my Eternal Guard not only as a bunker for my Spellweaver and BSB but also as the anvil for my melee units. Since I run a balanced list of melee and shooting, I have to ensure that any close combat units I take are going to be successful in a fight. I use a Spellweaver with the Rhymer's Harp and Lore of Life so that on average (provided I get Throne of Vines off) - the unit will be Toughness 7 (or 5 if I didnt get ToV off) and I can regrow them if they begin to fade. The unit will also have a 5+ ward save until the Spellweaver expires. When Eternal Guard's toughness exceeds 5 due to augments, I've found that the unit is decidedly extremely difficult to get rid of and can generally hold out against most big units. Also as Shandrakor said, you want to have Treekin and Dryads involved in the same combat so that your opponent has to make the choice - which unit to concentrate his attacks on. This is just one way to use the Eternal Guard but generally the most practiced. Unless I have a close combat Lord (i.e. Spirit Sword/Annoyance of Netlings/Dragonhelm or Spirit Sword/2+ armor save set up) and a Razor Standard in the unit (along with a Spellweaver with Rhymer's Harp + Lore of Life and the BSB), I do not really expect the Eternal Guard to do damage but rather absorb it while the stronger units do their job.

Hope that helps!
The Great Hunt, War Host of Athel Loren - Company of the Damned - a Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k blog.

Please listen to our podcast The Deployment Zone! It's more fun than a bag of hammers!

craobhruadh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by craobhruadh »

It is helpful, thanks Shandrakor and Sylvos. I have so far been dealing with blocks of infantry by throwing redirectors in the path and trying to kill them through massed glade guard fire, before they charge me. This seems trickier to pull off, but undeniably powerful.
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Hey folks just posted a preferred enemies article for Ogre Kingdoms Ironguts.
The link to blog is in my sig
Thanks and enjoy!
The Great Hunt, War Host of Athel Loren - Company of the Damned - a Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k blog.

Please listen to our podcast The Deployment Zone! It's more fun than a bag of hammers!

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

I have posted the final campaign results for The Deployment Zone's - Tamurkhan, Throne of Chaos online campaign. I would like to thank everyone who participated from this board, I had a blast running it despite the unexpectedly large amount of administrative work it required. We will be announcing the winners of the raffle on Episode 16 which we will be recording Sunday June 10th and release the following weekend. If you are unsure where to find the blog the link to it and our podcast is in my signature.

Fyi - 3600 points of Wood Elves defeated 4500 points of a Horde of Chaos =D.

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

This has nothing to do with tactics but wanted to post a heads up that I finished my realm of battle board and will restart the series of Preferred Enemies articles!
Posted pictures of board on blog, link in sig.

Thanks~

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

In an effort to organize my brain and my blog, I've collected all the strategy and tactics articles I've written (helpful or not) and put them into one post so that I know what to write next:

Enjoy here

craobhruadh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by craobhruadh »

Awesome! I think I've learned as much, if not more, from your battle reports actually. High level Wood Elf battle reports are hard to find on the internet.
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

New Preferred Enemies article posted:

Black Guard of Naggaroth

Enjoy!

toltec23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by toltec23 »

Thanks Sylvos, good read.
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Preferred Enemies - Black Orcs

Post by Sylvos »

New Preferred Enemies up, this one dealing with the annoyingly durable Black Orcs.

You may find it here.

Don't forget to check out The Deployment Zone podcast, the Pacific Northwest's Warhammer Fantasy and 40k nerdcast where three guys sit in a garage and talk about all things Warhammer. As my signature says - it's more fun than a bag of hammers. It's also not bad to listen to while painting! Psst it's found here.

No shadow kick
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by No shadow kick »

Well written (as usual ;) ) though I am sad to tell you that your sneaky green opponents have been playing the Armed to da Teef rule slightly wrong. Black Orcs only gets to pick a weapon of choice 1 time for the whole fight, not at the start of every close combat phase.
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Doh! I'll have to edit that section of the PE!

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Newest update - Preferred Enemies - Tomb Kings' Sepulchral Stalkers
here!

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Just finished the Year in Review for 2012!

here

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Just posted a new Preferred Enemies for Beastmen Gors.

You may find it here.

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

I've been a slacker and haven't posted much since the new WoC book came out but here is the latest Preferred Enemies!
here!

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Here is the newest Preferred Enemies:
White Lions of Chrace!

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Posted a Tactics article about Eternal Guard:

Wood Elf Tactics - Eternal Guard

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Keep these coming buddy, your blog rocks :cool:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

That last article prompted me to make a couple of lists using EG, with a more well thought out plan than usual. :)
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Posted a new article about using Dryads.

Wood Elf Tactica - Dryads

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Wood Elf War Council

Post by Sylvos »

We here at the Deployment Zone podcast decided to release yet another War Council before releasing Episode 37.

My cohosts, Bryan and Josh along with two guests Raindog and Moses, join me (John) in reviewing my favorite army the Wood Elves.

Check it out here

Due to the popularity (translated buttload of downloads) of these War Councils, we may break out another mini-podcast series called "Preferred Enemies" using my blog's articles as the initial format.

Anyway, give it a listen and let us know what you think!

Thanks!

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Apparently I forgot to update this thread....

Posted a series of Preferred Enemies for Warriors of Chaos - Lords and Heroes selection.

here