Good Tactica on Wood Elves

Moderator: Council of Elders

erised
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Good Tactica on Wood Elves

Post by erised »

I found a blog that has a good, modern overview on all things wood elf for the 8th edition.

http://companyofthedamned.blogspot.com/ ... %20Tactics

The LEAF Tactica articles are, IMO, much more in depth and sound... however 8th has changed our unit analysis significantly and this blog is an interesting read. Not a bible to go by (the leaf articles IMO are, or at least were in 7th), but an interesting read nonetheless. It also has some awesome alternative models for some figs (such as werewolves with two handed axes for treekin).
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: Good Tactica on Wood Elves

Post by Beithir Seun »

An interesting read, to be sure. In lieu of an updated LEAF (which is still months away unfortunately :() this is a very good summary of how Wood Elves stand at the moment in 8th Edition. Even better, the author (Sylvos) is a member of this site so he may even pop into this thread and expound on his experiences so far in 8th.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Ulthwe` Eldar, Black Templars, Beastmen, Bretonnians

Post by Sylvos »

Not to commit threadnomancy but I happened to come across this post while doing some research on my blog and this was one of the redirecting sites.

Sorry I didn't see this or comment on this thread before but I've had a lot of good experience in 8th edition with Wood Elves and I have tried to give a tactica series of articles based on my playstyle which I hope Battle Chronicler is partially depicting.
I'll try to do more tactica articles soon, I have a 1250 tournament tomorrow then our tournament circuit really kicks off where I'll be predominantly playing Wood Elves at 2k with the exception of 'Ard Boyz where I'll be bringing 3k of Wood Elf Fury to the tables.

Thanks for the comments btw!
The Great Hunt, War Host of Athel Loren - Company of the Damned - a Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k blog.

Please listen to our podcast The Deployment Zone! It's more fun than a bag of hammers!

luagaia
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by luagaia »

Very good articles guys, thanks!
Gave me lots of ideas to make a list!
Never played in 8th rules, looking forward to do so!
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Thanks! Just posted a brief Great Eagle run down.

When I have more time I will fully flesh out each unit and the existing tactica i've already published with more in depth articles and hopefully some images or videos of those units being used.
The Great Hunt, War Host of Athel Loren - Company of the Damned - a Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k blog.

Please listen to our podcast The Deployment Zone! It's more fun than a bag of hammers!

luagaia
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by luagaia »

Looking forward to see the complete archive!
It is very helpfull (for young padawans like myself even more! :nod: ).
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Well good, if they are helpful to someone then they are serving their purpose.

Next installments:
Glade Guard
Spellweaver/Spellsinger
Highborn/Nobles
Dryads

elmy123
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by elmy123 »

sorry to sound daft but were can i read your articles?
Fikol
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: WE

Post by Fikol »

elmy123 wrote:sorry to sound daft but were can i read your articles?
link in first post should do it :)
Life is but a dream...
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

I've started posting Battle Reports again for those interested.

Here is the lasted one: http://companyofthedamned.blogspot.com/ ... green.html

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Provided 'Ard Boyz tournament results from this weekend.
This should put to rest any doubts that Wood Elves are not a viable tournament army in 8th edition.
I placed 3rd and that's only cause I completely messed up in the 4th round of my last game.
Wood Elves are rockin!
I should have some battle reports posted at the end of this week against Skaven and Orks. Also hopefully I'll get a game in this next weekend against Vampire Counts.
Thanks!

elmy123
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by elmy123 »

hi, im liking that your updating your page again. can you tell me how i can comment on your page please.
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

You should be able to just follow it and comment as normal. If you can't after doing that PM me and I'll figure something out.

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Posted a quick summary of my Wood Elves and their performance in Semi-Finals of Ard Boyz.

Breeze
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Breeze »

Just finished reading your quick summary of the semi-finals, very well played I must say.

That first game against the dwarf player was a bit chaotic I can imagine with all that gunpowder. And I agree with you on the point about the Organ Gun and its auto hit, its broken considering how many shots it can get off in a round (anywhere from 6-30) .

Good luck in the Finals Sylvos :D
Siegfried
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Bretonnia.

Post by Siegfried »

That dwarven army in first round was the cheesiest list I have ever seen and I have seen some really sick lists in my time...
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

that's the way the lists come sometimes siegfried. Gotta say however had I gotten first turn and NOT failed a charge then he would have been massacred.

Siegfried
Campaign Team

Post by Siegfried »

Sylvos wrote:that's the way the lists come sometimes siegfried. Gotta say however had I gotten first turn and NOT failed a charge then he would have been massacred.
Yes, I agree. His mistake was that he had not spent a single point in close combat, so if the enemy managed to arrive on his lines it meant the end. I have seen better lists than this guys that had a bit more balance that could probably be more destructive overall, but the sheer ammount of warmachines was mindblowing.

These kind of lists are one of the main reasons I play almost exclusively in the ETC format these last 3-4 years.

Regarding your list: How does the Lord with Bow of Loren fare with only 4 shootinmg attacks? And another thing that drew my attention was the fact that you did not have any defense on him. I would argue the Stone of Rebirth would go a long way in protecting him if the need arises.

Was it due to lack of points, or is it part of the philosophy of his build?

Cheers, Sieg.
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Generally the lack of points available dictated his lack of ward save. Also, I figure he's already 239 points and if I'm smart he shouldn't be in close combat. Also with most armies having a BS of 3 and I'm normally behind at least soft cover they will have a -4 to hit me with ranged attacks. It's one of those "Eh I could make him a close combat monster too by spending another 40 points but... I'd rather have more glade guard" type arguments. I'll tell you one thing, in a standard 2k list if our Spellsingers could take life/beasts I'd never run a level 3/4 and spend those points on a lot more stuff that's useful.

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Posted an army showcase for our yearly warhammer tournament called OFCC. I plan on recording all 5 games and uploading each so folks can see battle reports via video.
Was considering streaming the games live but the hotel that we will be holding the event only has wifi and that will just suck for any attempt to stream live video feeds.
Hopefully you'll see some good tactics used (by me) and not an exercise in futility.

Enjoy!

Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

Just updated blog with results of our annual OFCC tournament. While it's not your classic "make the best list possible to kill your opponent and win, win, win" event, it's perhaps the best tournament I've ever been to primarily because it's all about having fun and getting a bunch of no-pressure games in. In fact, the biggest prizes go to the guys who get "best opponent" pins. Anyway - 5 brief battle reports are written up and some hastily taken pics.
Enjoy

Siegfried
Campaign Team

Post by Siegfried »

Great reports mate. Seems you had lots of fun. :)

p.s. Skaven should indeed be feared. Imo one of the most broken armies...
sirginyu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sirginyu »

when r u posting new tactics?
Sylvos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Sylvos »

You can click on my signature or go to http://www.companyofthedamned.blogspot.com.

sirginyu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sirginyu »

I mean like u did with treekin, waywatchers and great eagles