Line of Sight revisited... (Tourneys and WFO)

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Line of Sight revisited... (Tourneys and WFO)

Post by Herald »

Given that it is somewhat difficult to 'bend down and look through the eyes of the model' in WFO, I was kind of wondering how you guys have played LoS in WFO 8th.

Also, this is more than somewhat relevant for IRL games as well. I was considering attending a local tourney, but after the organizers decided to drop TLoS for an abstract system, and the discussion on that system got too complicated for me to follow, I decided to drop it.

In the mean time, the discussion has apparently evolved internationally as well, and the organizers of the Mansfield Maul, has decided on something similar...:
The Mansfield Maul@TWF wrote:
Standard Line of Sight.

We will be using the Standard Line of Sight (SLoS) system for this event. It's much more cut and dried than TLoS and avoids the potential harmful effects/abuse of modelling/converting certain models/terrain and also avoids the 'nicest guy loses' debate with TLoS close decisions. Whilst it's certainly early days for this I'd expect SLoS will spread across Europe and if it doesn't feature at a certain World Cup of Warhammer next year I'll eat my Swiss Chalet shaped hat. ;)

We've adapted a couple of the entries to fit our own terrain/wishes. So if you're already familiar with SLoS have a quick look as some things have changed. (mainly to fit our own terrain pool)

Our thanks to Asger and others involved with Giant Fanatic for the work they have put into the system (saving me a job!) and for allowing us to use their system.

From the GF rulespack.

"All unit types and terrain are given a number representing their height which they can draw LoS from and other units can use to see them. A higher number can thus draw LoS over any intermediary units with a lower number and can likewise be seen as well."

Troop Types

Skirmishers are always the unit type for their own LoS and size 0 when drawing LoS through them - so they can be seen through but will provide cover.

0 Swarms
1 Infantry
1 War Beasts
2 Cavalry
2 Monstrous Cavalry
2 Monstrous Beasts
2 Monstrous Infantry
2 Chariots
1/2 War Machines
3 Monsters
3 Large Targets

Terrain: All extra details as book unless stated.

Terrain:
0 Rivers
0 Marshland
0 Obstacles/Fences -
0 Patches of difficult/rocky ground ground - also dangerous to cav & chariots.
2 Woods/Forests - any unit in a wood can be seen and can see out (anywhere in wood) the unit gains cover but does not suffer penalties for shooting out of a wood.
2 Hills
2 Buildings (per level)
3 Large impassable workshop buildings.

There will be photos of terrain types in the rulespack confirming what counts as what. Also the special terrain types will be listed and assigned a height value.

Hills: Units standing on hills add the hill's value to their own. Cavalry on a one level hill have a value of 4 for
example.
Obstacles: A unit in base-to-base contact with an Obstacle can see and shoot past it with no cover
penalties.
Buildings: Units garrisoning buildings add the value of any upper levels to those drawing line of sight from
the upper levels. 10 Infantry in a two level building would have a value of 1 for the five in the lower level
and 3 for the five in the upper level and 5 for the height of any third level for example.
Cover: If you shoot at a unit while there are intervening troops between the shooter and the target, then
there is a hard cover modifier applied.
If the shooter is on a higher level hill, or on the second or above level of a building, then this hard cover
modifier is ignored unless the intervening troops are also on the same level of hill or building or height level.
Large targets can never claim cover from such intervening troops.

The only real changes/additions (thus far) to the GF system is

Woods - our woods are height 2 (rather than 0) with the caveat that units in a wood can see and be seen.

Difficult terrain - doesn't really exist in the BRB anymore - ours is height 0, cover whilst in or shooting through and is dangerous to cav and chariots.

Impassable buildings - we have some large workshop style buildings in addition to our multi level buildings - we have them at height 3 and impassable.

Again photos will be in the rulespack clarifying terrain types.
What do you think? ;)

This time I had to Mod myself :D : After posting, it became clear to me that this concerns alot more than WFO, which was my original intention... -Consider this a warning, Herald. Do think before you post. Herald
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Re: Line of Sight revisited... (Tourneys and WFO)

Post by Baardah »

Seems like a good and simple system...
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Giladis
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Giladis »

That is very similar whar I am making for one of our local tourneys. 4th ed of 40k is the inspiration.
LordTobiothan
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood elf

Post by LordTobiothan »

I find it is easiest just to say if it is in front of the unit they can see it, if somethings between them and intended target then they have cover
Hooba
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hooba »

What this tournie is promoting is not Warhammer Fantasy. It is some evolution of it. A more convoluted one if you ask me.

I have found that playing by the actual rules and just discussing potential issues is the fairest and most consistent policy. As it is a niche hobby, being graceful (yet still abiding by the rules) will give you and your opponents the best odds of having an enoyable time and not feeling cheated.