WFO tourney anyone?

Play all your WFO battles in here!

Moderator: Council of Elders

misanthrope105
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Goblins, Ogres, Warriors of Chaos, Space Marines

WFO tourney anyone?

Post by misanthrope105 »

I'm thinking it would be fun to put together a little WFO tournament, and i'm looking for interest.
Would be small points value, either 1k or warbands. Based on popular opinion we can either play a filthy non comp style, or put heavy comp restrictions on and play themed soft armies.

So what are peoples thoughts?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: WFO tourney anyone?

Post by Beithir Seun »

We have already attempted a WFO tournament - we got through the "group stages", but then interest dropped. Still, if enough people are interested in taking part, I would happily volunteer to run the tournament if you wanted to take part Misanthrope :)

Alternatively, we could try running a WFO campaign (our Mordheim campaign was very successful, until AMA disappeared). A campaign might be a bit more flexible in terms of time limits whereas a tournament would probably have to impose time limits on games just to ensure people finished playing in time...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
lucky git
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: chaos dwarfs, ogres, orcs and goblins, gnoblars, lizardmen, and new stuff everyday

Post by lucky git »

as I've already said, I think this is a brilliant idea - also, I agree with Beithir on the campaign idea, and then we could maybe increase the point size over time? maybe start with warbands and end at 1500pts?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Just to clarify - I am not suggesting we do both, just one or the other. I would suggest sticking with just one idea at a time to ensure that there is enough interest and that there are no conflicts of interest.

From my experience, tournaments involve a lot of waiting and mostly rely on other people to be active and punctual. If even one player doesn't post regularly, that will hold everyone up. A campaign would be a lot more flexible and forgiving in that regard, as the other players could still act even if one player was not around.
misanthrope105
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Goblins, Ogres, Warriors of Chaos, Space Marines

Post by misanthrope105 »

i was thinking each game would be a week, if you run out of time you tally points and go from there, that way it stays on track.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Possible but a week is a very tight time limit for a whole game, even at small points sizes. The last tournament gave a time limit of one month (four weeks) and even then a lot of games weren't finished on time. I do like the idea of tallying points up as soon as the time limit is over though. In hindsight, that's probably how it should have worked for the first tournament...
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

i'm into this idea. i'd join for shure
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Huntsmen
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Huntsmen »

I'd be interest in either. Seems there is similar hope to start a tourney over at the Stronghold.
misanthrope105
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by misanthrope105 »

if beithir doesn't mind running and comping lists, i reckon 1k points, 2 weeks per game, 3 games total. First game by comp, 2nd and third by points.

any feedback on that?
Huntsmen
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Huntsmen »

I guess the small points limit is to makes things easy and quick?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

What do you mean by "first game by comp"?

I would much rather leave comp scores out all together.
misanthrope105
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by misanthrope105 »

Huntsmen wrote:I guess the small points limit is to makes things easy and quick?
si.
I'm ok with leaving comp scores out, as long as everyones ok with playing filthy lists.
shiodome
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by shiodome »

speak for yourself, most the people here can moderate themselves to bring fun lists. if you can't that's your own issue.
Mah paintin' Blog - General Warhammer painting and modelling stuffs.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

What Shiodome said :smirk: I don't think that leaving comp out will automatically mean everyone will bring filthy lists, especially at the 1k point level. Ultimately, the people who do play filthy lists in what is meant to be a relatively friendly tournament will only harm themselves. There are no prizes to be won, so there's no benefit to bringing a super-competitive army really.

Anyway, if that's settled, I can start up a sign-up thread if we're ready to go?
misanthrope105
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by misanthrope105 »

sounds good.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

OK, I've started a sign-up thread. You can find it here: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17840
misanthrope105
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by misanthrope105 »

can we do something to speed up deployement? secret deployment or something? it seems that takes longer than anything else
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Might I suggest that both players deploy all trips then send in the deployment to beithir who joins the deploymaps together and then it's ready to play. Unless that's too much work for beithir.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

I do not mind doing the extra work; it's whether I have time to do the extra work. It will only speed things up if I'm able to keep up :smirk:

Still, we can see how it goes. If I find myself slowing the games down, we can always change the system.
misanthrope105
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by misanthrope105 »

its easy enough for both players to make a deployment map and post them together