The Growing of a Tree...man (Step by step)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cypher_Mars
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Wood Elves, Vampire Counts

The Growing of a Tree...man (Step by step)

Post by Cypher_Mars »

Hey guys, after seeing such a few fantastic self made Treeman on this forum, I've decided to go ahead and make one of my own. You guys have inspired me!!! And so has my wallet.

I've got a idea of how I want my Treeman to be in my head, and I've drafted it out on paper. I won't show the draft to protect my ego. Yes, thats right, some people can make even a stickman Treeman look bad.

The concept is to have a thinner but branchier treeman. One that looks like its pulling its roots out to walk and have large claw like branch-arms. One of the arms will be pulled back as though its just done a swipe. The other arm is held infront of it in a menacing claw and its head is peering through those claws.

I didn't like the treeman with the heads on the trunks, so I decided mine will have a separate branch near the top that has bend down to reveal the face of a tree spirit face.

As for painting, the whole tree will be painted like a tree then flocked in places to look like a tree. However, I will try and paint it so that the face will emit a glow from within to show the spirit residing in the tree. So eyes and mouth should glow with the source of the light coming from within.

For me, this is a major project. Coz many of the things I envision, I have never attempted before. Then again, this is what excites me about the posibilities.

I'll post as I go along and I already have pictures, just need to figure out how to post them.

Thanks for reading, and please toss in criticm and ideas. I'll probably have lots of questions too.
Treeman in its initial stages made from just wire.
Treeman in its initial stages made from just wire.
Another view of the wireframe Treeman
Another view of the wireframe Treeman
Couldn't find where to buy Brown stuff, so I used Green stuff, but it seems very soft and sticky to work with
Couldn't find where to buy Brown stuff, so I used Green stuff, but it seems very soft and sticky to work with
Most of the initial filling of the trunk and branches done.
Most of the initial filling of the trunk and branches done.
Another view of the puttied up Treeman
Another view of the puttied up Treeman
Cypher_Mars
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: The Growing of a Tree...man (Step by step)

Post by Cypher_Mars »

Ah finally the pics came out right.

here is the before and after from Wireframe to Putty.
Treeman Beforeafter.JPG
Next will be layering putty in for details. I'm pretty noobish at that. Anyone can give me ideas how to make BARK?
~Cypher Mars~

Wins 10 Draw 0 Loss 0
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Bark is fairly simple to sculpt using a modelling tool. Take a look around the forums, as well as at Games Workshop's Treeman, to get a sense of how bark can be made detailed.

It looks very impressive so far... More like a Treebeast than a Treeman. Will it still fit on a 50mm base? The progress looks great.
Cypher_Mars
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cypher_Mars »

I have found some good Games Workshop references on how to make Tree(men). Check it out.

This one is almost the same kind of tree effect I wanted for my Treeman

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... 2tree1.htm

Here are a few others.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... efault.htm
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... efault.htm
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... 3tree1.htm

Cheers
~Cypher Mars~

Wins 10 Draw 0 Loss 0
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

yay! another scratch-built treeman to inspire me to finish mine!

i found an effective way to make bark...but no pictures to reference... :(

for a somewhat ancient bark look, take a sculpting tool (or whatever you use, i used the back of my knife--which isn't one with a snappable blade, so it's pretty thick) and apply a layer of GS (not too thin,because it'll rip...and not too thick because you'll waste the GS quickly) to a part of the treeman. Then drag the the tool in a grain-like fashion (straight down most of the time, but it differs depending on the part of the tree and the angle), then create little "islands" of bark off of the line you just created that follow the grain. Work in small patches allowing it time to dry. Repeat as nesiccary
hope that helps

Huh...figures...as soon as i write that, i find a picture.... :p

here's a picture of my treeman's leg on Photobucket:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x151 ... review.jpg

the detail is a little hard to pick out, but you may be able to discern what i was trying to say.

The white underneath is Sculpey, and there are roots over it to make it feel like it uprooted itself (hopefully)

and yes, that's a 50 mm base...it's going to be about a foot tall when i finish him.. :D

good luck!
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Cypher_Mars
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cypher_Mars »

Sweet. You're is going to be huge. I based mine on being just taller than the old giant, and it fits perfectly on a 50mm base too.

Thanks for the tip, your bark looks good. I'll go try that out too.
~Cypher Mars~

Wins 10 Draw 0 Loss 0
Jak3_dude
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Jak3_dude »

Hey man, just like to say good luck (although you need more perseverance than luck in a project like this). Don't get discouraged and remember: when it's all over you will have a treeman with a look that noone else's has!! :D

Also, if what I understand is correct in the way you want your treeman to look, I might have to try this out as well!!! :evil:
What shall become of You?