Astray's Project log - Friday 13th July

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Astray
Newcomer
Newcomer

Astray's Project log - Friday 13th July

Post by Astray »

I had a project log on Warseer but it seems they aren't fond of you pointing out Goths have no fashion sense nor colour theory.. So Basically screw giving content to a site who decided being honest is against the rules.

Hence project log is here now. :)

Army list.
1 Mounted Noble with Spear and shield
10 Glade guard
5 Glade Riders (musician)
8 Dryads (champion)

Built
X

Primed
7 Glade guard
5 Glade riders
6 Horses
1 Noble
A lot of capes

Finished
Dryads

I should point out I'm going for table top high end. So neat and effective, some what pretty if possible. The army is going to have a dark feel and conversions in several places.

Bases are done using Milliput and and basing material. Milliput is dried and snapped to make broken stone.

Colour wise it starts with Biege Brown (Vallejo) and black and works up to bleached bone (GW) going through Bronzed Flesh (GW). Then the ground is given a chestnut ink and the stones remain untouched. It gives a nice ruined Elven settlement feel I find, based around the Barren Hills fluff at least.

Dryads
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ ... yads01.jpg (images have a size limit it seems :( )
It isn't great but I fail at using a Tripod and took a quick pic before I crash.

Colouring goes as such.
Black primer - Heavy dry brush with Biege brown - Chestnut ink - Biege brown dry brush.
The eyes are some red from the Vallejo range I forget the name of.
The loin clothes and hair is painted black with a grey (added white) layer over the top (leaving shadows) and then the edges picked out with a lighter grey.

All the Dyrads are converted. I cut off the necks and attached the heads to the chests to make them more hunchbacked. Because I didn't want them to have too many spiky do hickies and leafs I then sculpted some simple hair from the back of the head, adding some extra hunch and covering the gaps.

I find they far more evil this way, with the dark colour scheme they come off rather monstrous, which was the idea. Things that stalk the forest like beasts rather than sentinent boobed tree women.

They do face down slightly, but I found with the bases and arms used correctly it worked to add dynamic to the models. It makes them look like they are diving forward or loaming over their enemies. Something which again adds to the scary monster factor rather than the 'nicer' side the original models portray.

The colour scheme (and hence why none of them have any leaves painted, left as if it's one solid form with detail in their body but not as if their body is made from bits of life trees) is meant to be dark, it's looks rather oaken and makes the eyes stand out nicely (pic doesn't show them though).

I'll try and get some close up shots tomorrow, but I suck with my camera and have no damn clue what settings I need out of about 3 million.

Feedback would be very nice. I fail at staying motivated so if people bug me enough it will keep me interested and focused.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Re: Astray's Project log - Friday 13th July

Post by Schmeag »

Looks pretty interesting, though the Dryads all look like that are staring at the ground because they're hunchbacked. (After reading the post more carefully, I see that you noted this.) I suppose that if they were to be menacing, then they'd have to be staring at models with a size equivalent of Necron scarabs (depending on the model). You could use putty or whatever they call it to make the heads raise up a little. :)
Astray
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Astray's Project log - Friday 13th July

Post by Astray »

When placed over an elf they look down on him. It's kinda cool and hey it's not like they need eyes when they're part of the forest ;)

I hit a snag last night.. I suck at painting green and brown just didn't work for me.. So now I have to look at alternative colour schemes. I was thinking black and blue, sort of a night raiding force. It works on the cloaks but I'm not sure about the elves themselves.

Painting a horse black looks fine, I might go with all my glade riders on black horses. Easy to paint and I can do it :D

I need to clear something up as a mod asked.

The first post is anti warseer, I should point out I have no hostile intent against warseer directly, just one mod and the fact that you're unable to dispute bans until after they are lifted and even after they are lifted some times you can't dispute them still. So instead of giving them content I decided I would take my content else where. This way I do not support a forum I do not feel is playing fair with it's members. If you like warseer that is grand, but I personally do not want to give my content to it.

I believe there were also complaints against the word 'screw', well I honestly think you need to come to terms with the English language if you have issues with that. It's a basic term, been used for decades with no major offensive context attached to it. I don't use bad language on Asrai and have no intention of doing so, I find screw to be a perfectly acceptable word to use in any formal or informal setting and hence see no issue with using it in this context.