New to WE (WFB as a matter of fact) - Enough models?

Moderator: Council of Elders

JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

New to WE (WFB as a matter of fact) - Enough models?

Post by JMMelo »

Hi... first time poster here :)

Anyway, I´ve decided to give WFB a try, and I just love the look and fluff of the Wood Elves... I got myself a good deal on some miniatures, but I think I might be getting to many... would you guys look at this and tell me if it´s enough, or if I should get a few more? Here´s what I am getting (V1, V2 and V3 are the different sellers):

2 Spellsingers (V1)
1 Waywatcher Noble (V2)
1 Eternal Guard Noble (noble with great weapon) (V2)
1 Wild Rider Noble (V3)
12 Dryads (V1)
14 Glade Guard (V1)
20 Glade Guard (V2)
8 Glade Riders (V1)
8 Glade Riders (V2)
14 Eternal Guard (w/ command) (V2)
14 Eternal Guard (w/ command) (V2)
6 Waywatchers (V2)
6 Wild Riders (V3)
1 Treeman (V3)

I am getting from a friend an unit of wardancers (what would be a good number?), and maybe warhawks (how many to an effective unit?) and a great eagle (would it be a good idea?). Also I might get enough eternal guards to make both units 20 strong.

Glade Guards shoot in only one rank?

Sorry for the noob questions... but I never played WFB...only 40K
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Correct, Glade Guard only shoot in 1 rank.

I think that that is plenty of models.

The eagle is most definitely worth it.

8 is a great size for a unit of Wardancers.

I would get those Warhawks, and an effective unit size is 4 for Warhawks, although some people say 3, they just die too darn fast.

Welcome to Asrai.org!

What is your favorite WE unit?
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

Thanks for the fast answer :) I am glad I dont need to buy so many more models :smirk: I might get two eagles and try to convert a noble riding one of them.

BTW, time for the shameless plug: I posted on Warseer a list of stuff I am selling/trading... dont know if any of you guys play 40K or Necromunda, or might be interested in a Marauder Giant, but here´s the link: Stuff for sale/trade
tegilagos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: woodelves, darkelves, bretonnia

Post by tegilagos »

Welcome!

You want the eagle and you need more dryads!
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

I'd like to throw in a bit more information about the things that you're interested in.

-2 Spellsingers: Looks good, Wood Elf mages are beautiful models so they're worth having for that alone.
-Waywatcher Noble: Questionable. Not very useful in game terms, but a cool model and can always be used as a normal rank-and-file Waywatcher. Up to you, but definitely expendable.
-Noble with Great Weapon: Good model, good purchase. A good idea if you use an Alter Noble (Hail of Doom Arrow, Great Weapon, Helm of the Hunt, Alter Kindred.) Very useful.
-Wild Rider Noble: Like the Waywatcher, not very useful in game terms but a nice model. Up to you.
-12 Dryads: Excellent. If anything, I agree that you need more. Two units of 8 in any game above 500 points is useful. Very effective and versatile unit.
-Glade Guard: V2 Buyer's deal is better than V1. 20 Glade Guard should be plenty for even a 2k point game, whereas 14 is an awkward number. 34 is probably too much unless you plan on playing big games regularly.
-Glade Riders: 16 Glade Riders is far more than you need. If anything, get one unit. Glade Riders are fragile, so effective as a disposable unit because of their speed and ability to bait and harass the enemy. Units of 5 or 6 are common.
-Eternal Guard: Some players love Eternal Guard, others don't use them. One regiment of about 20 with full command is useful, but 28 total models might be more than you need. If you are interested in trying two units of 20, go ahead. They are much slower than the rest of our list, however, so can be a liability if not used properly.
-Waywatchers: 6 is a good number. Anything larger makes them hard to infiltrate, and a tremendous point loss if something happens to them. They cost more points than an Empire Knight, so using small regiments is a good idea.
-6 Wild Riders: A great number for a regiment, and a great purchase for any army.
-Treeman: Tied with Dryads for the best point effectiveness in the Wood Elf list. Every list should have one, and I suggest getting a hold of the Treeman.

I hope that was useful, and agree with Hyarion that 8 is a good number for Wardancers, though 7 is useful if you run a few units of them. Command is not really necessary for them. 3-4 Warhawks is a good number also, and a Great Eagle is also an incredible purchase for any Wood Elf list.

Welcome to the forum!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

First off, welcome to the site!

I agree with what Tethlis and Hyarion have already said. From those initial deals you pretty much have all you will need for a decent Wood Elves army, although the amount of Eternal Guard is questionable. I think one unit of 20 is the maximum you'll need although there are precedents for using more than one unit in a game. I would go for 4 warhawks and 8 wardancers and would highly recommend getting that Great Eagle and Treeman!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

The darn thing about the deals is that breaking them would mean way less savings...

Good to know I dont need more core troops... So I dont need more eternal guards and I might use some of the glade guard as scouts :)

I am getting 8 of the glade riders for free, so no complaints from me there ;)

The same friend who will sell me the wardancers and the eagle/hawks has a large unit of older driads... would they look weird next to the newer ones? Sohould I try to get 4 to make 2 units of 8?

The reason I am getting the all the lords is because they are costing pennies in the whole scheme of things, and I love the models :)

2 units of 6 Waywatchers is a good idea?

Thanks, guys :)
David L
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by David L »

JMMelo wrote:2 units of 6 Waywatchers is a good idea?
As that precludes both the incredibly useful Eagle and the unkillable Treeman, probably not. Your model list only had one unit of 6 though?

In short, if you can pick all that up quickly, just add the army book and start playing. That is enough stuff to play reasonable sized games, then you can figure out what else you want/need.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

2 units of 6 WW can work, although they may not be the best set up.

You can use the Older Dryads as Treekin....

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I personally always take 2x6 waywatchers despite it meaning I can't take a Treeman or Eagle. I love waywatchers and they've never failed to perform for me yet
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

I was thiking of maybe using older treeman as treekin... I know a store that has them here for ages, and were selling cheap.

Are older driads that much bigger?

BTW, are 3 or 4 treekin are a good investment?
Hyarion wrote:2 units of 6 WW can work, although they may not be the best set up.

JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

I was thiking of maybe using older treeman as treekin... I know a store that has them here for ages, and were selling cheap.

Are older driads that much bigger?

BTW, are 3 or 4 treekin are a good investment?
Hyarion wrote:2 units of 6 WW can work, although they may not be the best set up.

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

4 Treekin, and yes, I would say so.

The VoicelessFlu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The VoicelessFlu »

JMMelo wrote:The same friend who will sell me the wardancers and the eagle/hawks has a large unit of older driads... would they look weird next to the newer ones? Sohould I try to get 4 to make 2 units of 8?
I have 10 of the older ones which I converted with extra bits from the dryad box. Here are some pictures of one converted older one and three new ones to help you make up your mind.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/ ... Dryad2.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/ ... Dryad1.jpg
Hyarion wrote:You can use the Older Dryads as Treekin....
Have you done this? And how did it turn out? I have been looking for away to field treekin without using the regular models. But, in my opinion they are way too small.
The most disadvantageous peace is better than the most just war.
Erasmus
JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

They look pretty different... but with the same paint scheme they could blend in.. or I could do an unit of them...

But way to small for treekin
The VoicelessFlu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The VoicelessFlu »

I think they would make great Dryad heroes. 10 is a little to many though...
The most disadvantageous peace is better than the most just war.
Erasmus
Lord Anathir
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Lord Anathir »

i like the wild riders, treeman and wild rider hero :wink:

heh, i'll get you the pics of those models asap! but im ultra busy atm.
2006 Record (2k pts): High Elves: 32/7/7 (wld)

HIGH ELVES ARE RETIRED! (after 4 tournies, 3 years and over 150 games!)
JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

mate, give me a great (and I mean great, I am working with an extremely devalued currency here ;) ) deal and I´ll take those driads from your hands too
Lord Anathir wrote:i like the wild riders, treeman and wild rider hero :wink:

heh, i'll get you the pics of those models asap! but im ultra busy atm.
:roll: :sexy: