Autumn Wood Elves

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Post by Anardakil »

It's update time! :D
And with better pictures this time (I think).

I've just given my glade guards arrows. I couldn't get them to "sit" just right though, as their hands aren't open (and some elves' hair was in the way :P) but what the heck, they've got arrows! And it looks cool in my opinion. What do you think?

some more pictures:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/ ... 0prcnt.jpg

These arrows were from the Giant set. I think the arrows from the VC skeletons box are a little too big, and their feathers have a different shape from the arrows in the Glade Guards' quivers. Okay I might be a little picky, but hey, I got 12 arrows from the giant box, which is neat. This means, however, that I have to buy another giant in the future to be able to give all my shooting weed elves arrows to shoot with ^^ But I don't complain. There're so much funny bitz from that kit that I want to use, and I'll gladly field two christmas giants in my christmas gobbo army.

-continues in next post-
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

But it wouldn't be much of an update with just a few little arrows now would it?
I've also painted my little christmas gobbo mini-diorama. So lookie-lookie and tell me what you think!
ImageImage
and some more pictures:

Funny? The poor little christmas gobbo has been hit by a cannon ball, and two of its "friends" are looking at its corpse, on of them poking it with his spear.
Wether the other gobbos are startled, scared, confused or actually think it's funny I don't know. I leave that to you ^^

Well that's all for now. Next I'm going to paint some more rank and file gobbolins, and finish building my dryads, and undercoat them. Oh and I'll give my black legionnaries some more licks of paint I guess. Chaos boys are boring and hard to paint -_-
In the future I'm going to paint an army of Skaven for a friend of mine. That'll be fun, hopefully...

Hejdå!
ampao
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos

Post by ampao »

Hahahhaha the gobbo cannon ball was hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Brilliant!! Pure Genius!!

Really good work, keep it up!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

They all look fantastic. The goblin cannonball scene is terrific! :nod:
rixen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by rixen »

That glade guard unit looks fantastic. Beautiful work on the browns.

The gobbo’s last words were perhaps ‘’ey dez’ ball ‘eaden fur uz’ and tried to catch it. Laugh out loud funny.
Last edited by rixen on 09 Feb 2007, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Thanks everyone!
I'm glad you found my mini diorama to be funny :)

Here's an update for you. Now WE this time though :/ There'll be some next time - I promise!

Here's a Christmas Goblin Big Boss conversion that I just did with green stuff, a 6th ed. night gobbo fanatic and a skeleton's scimitar. What do you think? Note that the paint he's wearing is old. He will of course be repainted in nice christmasy colours : )

Who's that old man beside the greenskin then? Well he's the start of my new project. That means I've got 4 armies in progress ... right. I already have a 6th ed. empire army, but I want to make a Witch Hunter themed army with loads of crazed with hunters, free company fighters, flagellants and lead by priests, and probably some troops lead by a captain that an elector count have sent to aid the hunters in their holy crus -- ahem, witch hunt. The army will include loads of nice Mordheim miniatures and some random fellers, oh and lots of torches of course. The Post SoC Empire army "survivors of the storm" featured in a recent White Dwarf was a great inspiration. But I've wanted to do a witch hunter army for quite some time now.
The army's general will be a priest who's had a vision of a great evil that must be punished. The priest's army grows stronger and stronger as he convinces more and more witch hunters and rabble that knows no better than to trust him and his vision.
I thought I'd use loads of warm but not too bright colours to bring their fanatical zeal and hot-headedness to life. The rabble will have a lot of dulled down colours though.
I'm thinking that the small force of state troops will be from Altdorf, since that's where the church of Sigmar lies, and that's likely to be the place from where the priests leading the army comes. But not necessarily I guess. The dark red would tie the two forces together nicely. What do you think? Should I go for Altdorf or something else?
Another idea would be to go for lots of dark greys, browns and blacks to give the army a very dark and menacing feel, however that's not as fun to paint. hmmm

Alright it's time to show off something I've been working on for quite a while. It's a lake! (well more of a little puddle actually) It's made with GW's water effects. The water effects are really nice IMO, but you have to make a load of layers, and they need 24 hours to dry, so it's slow work. Anyway I'm pleased with the result, and it's nice to have actually made a terrain piece like this by myself (little ol' not-so-handy me ^ ^). It looks a little better in real life though, as it's hard to capture the water feel with a camera.

Oh and I've finally undercoated my dryads so it's time to paint them next I guess. Well that's all for now. Cheers!

BTW. This blog has got a twin over at warseer.com and the update there is a little bit bigger this time, since I didn't really think Chaos Marines would feel at home at asrai.org. If anyone wants to have a look then here's a link:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... 009&page=3
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

I love the lake. And the models are, as always, really sharp, too.

Keep posting! :nod:
captain carrot
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by captain carrot »

this is good stuff how did you string the bows i realise you used thread but did you tie them on or just glue and is the strings just wrapped around the elfs hands
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Hey there Captain Carrot, thanks for liking them :) Yeah I used normal sewing thread. I tied them with double knots around each end of the bow and then I used super glue on them to make sure they would not loosen up and fall off. The really tricky thing was to glue the strings to their hands. I had to hold them there for quite long in order for them to glue stick to the hands.

Thanks davidvc04 :) and yeah I'll keep posting. Today is in fact update-day (erm ... night)

It's time for another update!
No christmas gobbos this time, sorry.

Here are my first three dryads! I've realised that many trees are grey but dark brown in the crevaces (is that the right word?) oh well.. So that's what I tried to recreate.
The grey bark is scorched brown drybrushed with dark grey, drybrushed with codex grey, washed with watered down scorched brown+chaos black, drybrushed again with codex grey. Then I gave the extreme edges a few licks with some codex grey painted on normally. The brown bark is scorched brown washed with watered down chaos black and highlighted with graveyard earth.
The eyes are snot green highlighted with camo green and the leaves are scorched brown - teracotta - teracotta+bleached bone (for the red leaves), snakebite leather - vomit brown - vomit brown+bleached bone (for the yellow leaves) and vermin brown - vermin brown+some fiery orange - vermin brown+more fiery orange (for the orange ones).
I wanted them to have that chalky look you get from drybrushing 'cause I think it fits the trees bark very well. I won't deny I was also rather scared by the thought of doing layered highlighting on dryads because of how they look with their numerous branches and curves and stuff. Oh well they're not as good as a lot of other peoples' but I'm happy with them. The three colours of the leaves will be cycled through the rest of the unit.
Do you think I should have a few leaves of a different colour? Like some yellow among the orange ones, some orange among the red ones and some orange among the yellow ones or are they nice like this?
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

wow.....just.....wow... i think the paintitng on the GG is phenomenal! The christmas theme for O&G is [censored]ing hilarious!! Does the giant have a bag of presents to smash his opponents with? The mini diorama is the most original (and coolest) diorama ive seen. Ever thought of converting the cow that hangs from the belt (or should be hanging) of the giant to be a reindeer?

for the dryad's leaves, it looks fine the way they are, but if you want to add some variety to the unit, i guess you could colour the leaves differently...

i don't mean to be nit picky, as its a little late now, but the proper way arrows are noched is the arrow is on the inside hand of the bow (eg., if you're holding the bow in your left hand, the arrow would rest on the left side of the bow)... but i guess im the only one to notice (archery lessons)

with that said, this is probably the most well done and inspiring work i've seen..
i can't wait to see more (especially the giant)......
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Very nice, the dryads are good, the GG are excellent, the diorama is great...oh and the lake is good too :nod:. I can see that you have fun modelling, adding arrows and making little dioramas is a labour of love isn't it..and they look awesome too :wink:.
Keep us posted!

Storm.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

To Ryikko. Thanks! I'm very glad you like my work so much.

No unfortunately the giant doesn't have a big bag o' presents to smash stuff with. I don't trust my GS-skills that much, but it's a nice idea. :D He's got a "regular" giant weapon. I thought about giving him a christmas tree to hurt things with though but I chickened out (is that something you can say? O_o). I'm planning on having a 2nd giant eventually so maybe I'll use one of these ideas then.
Hm do you really think the cow could be made to look like a reindeer? Cows and reindeers are very different. I am going to paint the text "julöl" on his barrel of beer though, which means christmas beer (it's swedish). But it would be nice to make him even more christmasy :/ hmm

I've got great plans for my general though ^^ Thanks for the modelling ideas.

Yeah someone over at warseer pointed out that thing with the arrows to me. I didn't know that myself :o but then I realised that you can't really have the arrows any other way on the models because of the sculpts or it would look very stupid (the arrows wouldn't point in the direction the elf is aiming) :/ so they'll have to stay like that.
I suppose they don't want to be like everyone else, those arrogant elves ^^

Wow you flatter me!
I'm afraid you'll have to wait a while for any progress on the giant.

To Storm: Hey thanks a lot :D Oh and yeah I really enjoyed making the diorama, and I'm pleased with the arrows and strings. It feels nice to have those special little thingies in my armies.
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

are you creating a whole christmas army? if so kudos to you... but what kind of greenskin army would it be? Night Gobbos?

I don't own a giant model, so ive never seen any of their accessories up close... maybe just glue some dryad fingers as mock antlers?

can't wait to see more...esp. the general :nod:
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Satyr
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Satyr »

Your GG are simply outstanding, i love the way your colour scheme of dark red ties in with orange over brown, and how that looks against the Armour and weapons. (with fallen leaves on basses)

i was wondering how you would paint Forest spirits in accordance with your scheme. Grey over brown with the leaves that tie in the colours from the GG are very effective at creating Dryads that represent Spirits still able to take up their War Aspect, but in a coupple of short Mounths must lie dormant. i see no problem with mixing up the leaf colours, subtle variety goes along way to create a diverce but unified force.

id just like to say im a big fan of the chalky dry brushed effect, just because you precieve your technieqe to be simple doesnt meen it isnt highly effective (espeshally combined with your (pre emoted about) choice of colours and the Dryad modles themselves)
these are my favorate Dryads ever im reely impressed with these guys my hat is off to You. *Tipps Full height top hat that is worn and patched*

the Gobbos are funny you are a real joker i like the fact that you can deploy the diorama so i can b used on the field. oah and water features are a pet favorate of mine u have a cool Pond.

however i am simply gaging for an update to your woodies and for your char figures and mounted figures. will you be only Dryads as ur only Forest Spirit seeing as its an Autum themmed list or may we have the pleasure of seeing a Big Tree?

Satyr Sam :D
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Yep Ryikko, I'm going for a whole army of christmas gobbos. They're going to be night goblins but with a common gobbo stats-wise for a general (I want a sleigh - chariot).

Wow thanks for all the kind words Satyr! I'm afriad the miniatures don't look as good in reality though. When you're up close you can see some sloppiness (especially on the dryads). But oh well, I'm really happy with them anyway. I'm very fond of the colour scheme (I've probably said this a million times before XD) and the bases so they come off as rather striking anyway, If I might say so myself.
Yeah I really should paint a character soon. Maybe I should tackle my wood elf noble for some variation.
Sorry to dissapoint you :) No big trees and no tree kin, just 20 or so dryads.
Very glad you like them ^^

--

Okay I'm finally back for a real update. It might not be that exciting because it's just essentially more of the same; four dryads and a free company fighter.

The dryads are a little rough, but there comes a time when I've got to let them be finished. I find dryads rather hard to paint well so I easily end up trying to tidy them up more and more and more but unfortunately I often mess something else up when I've fixed one thing. It's frustrating : (

Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

And here the ladies are with the other dryads.

And the little human:

That's all for today.

Oh, and next time I might bring some more christmas gobbo goodness ;)
Tijminator
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tijminator »

This is great! The cannonball diorama is one of the best I have seen in quite a while! :D

Your Christmas Gobbo army is *so* funny! That's how I imagine Gobbo's.

Keep them coming! :D

Tijminator
Viva La Banana!
Hyarion wrote:*Hyarion|Away hopes someone is quoting this
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Tijminator wrote:This is great! The cannonball diorama is one of the best I have seen in quite a while! :D

Your Christmas Gobbo army is *so* funny! That's how I imagine Gobbo's.

Keep them coming! :D

Tijminator
That's great to hear :D
And as a matter of fact here are a few more! ^^

Time for another update everyone :D
I've got seven more green little super-soldiers to show you. (pictures could be better but whatever).

My little buddys before their shower of chaos black.

The super soldiers from the front:

and the super soldiers from behind:

and finally two models I painted last year that I don't think you've seen yet - a taste of my chaos space marines army:

That's all for now. Next up is that undercoated obliterator in the first picture, or maybe a few dryads or something.
See ya : D
Cpt_NinjaPants
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Woodies, Hopefuly Empire, and Rome.

Post by Cpt_NinjaPants »

I think the elves looked better w/o the arrows, as they look way to big imo. I would LOVE To know how you got the string on the bows..
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

ah you're back!

the obliterator.....wow....

i cant believe you put that much work into each of tha lil' gobbos!...too bad they're going to die in the masses :tear: . All your hard work in vain...

seriously though, still amazing...

general? :sexy:

update soon!
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

The Goblins are so cool!!! :nod: :lol:
Edit: btw, are you going to make any more unit filler dioramas? The first one was great :lol:.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

to Cpt_NinjaPants: Ok. Well proportions in warhammer kinda suck ;P Hm you know, I've already described how I did the bow strings, at least once in this thread ;) You're not the first one to ask again even though I've already described it though.

To Ryikko: Thanks. Yeah it will take some time to paint a whole army of gobbos for me, since I want em to look good individually ^^ Yeah feels a little rough that they'll die in droves O_o When you have nicely painted models you want 'em to stay on the table.
Gobbo general? hm nah I don't have the model I'm going to use for it yet, nor the sleigh chariot. Also I have a load of stuff to paint so I'd rather use my money to buy more video games, clothes and make up and stuff. Oh and I just bought a tv for 12500 swedish crowns o.O (brag brag) Update soon? woah. I just updated and I'm lazy. But I'm gluing lots of gobbos right now. I promise!

To Storm: Thanks for liking them :) Well yeah I'd love to do some more unit dioramas. I'm thinking of integrating the BfSP troll in my second unit of gobbo spear"men", with gobbos poking their spears from behind it. And I just glued together a little night gobbo with a repositioned head who looks like he's curiously looking down on the little cannon ball-killed gobbo. ^^
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

I'm thinking of integrating the BfSP troll in my second unit of gobbo spear"men", with gobbos poking their spears from behind it.
I look forward to seeing it :nod:.
I know what you mean about them dying fast...still, it's best if they die looking good...
, clothes and make up and stuff
Wait a second...WTF?!
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Storm wrote:
I'm thinking of integrating the BfSP troll in my second unit of gobbo spear"men", with gobbos poking their spears from behind it.
I look forward to seeing it :nod:.
I know what you mean about them dying fast...still, it's best if they die looking good...
, clothes and make up and stuff
Wait a second...WTF?!
Definitely :D Couldn't have said it better myself.

Make-up, yeah you know... stuff you use on your face when you want to look nicer :roll: