Wood Elf runes, letters, font???

Come here to play in role playing games, play in AoDs, or show off your latest story creation. This is also the place for fluff questions.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Singaliel
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Chaos Dwarfs

Wood Elf runes, letters, font???

Post by Singaliel »

Hi all,

Is there a site that has Wood runes (script, letters, etc) as images or in a font set? I found three of the newer Wood Elf runes on the GW website.

I am primarily looking for a font set of Wood and High Elf runes (or what ever their letters are called). Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by Bad Beast »

the high elf runes might actually be printed in the back of the high elf army book, many of the older army books (beastmen being the latest one that i can think of that has them) printed in the backs of the book, the wood elves as well might have them, but i don't recall seeing them there
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

the high elf runes might actually be printed in the back of the high elf army book
They are. Bear in mind that those are the Tar-Eltharin runes, and while they're the closest to original Eltharin you'll get, there are still going to be a few subtle differences.
the wood elves as well might have them, but i don't recall seeing them there
They don't, AFAIK.
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

You might not have noticed, but the Wood Elf Runes are the backdrop in our Magic Items section.

I tried to match them up with their Asur symbols. Using Asur symbols, kindred names, etc.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/ ... 010147.jpg

Top left is the Asur rune, bottom left is the Asrai rune or runes. Top middle is the Asur word, bottom middle is the Asrai word. Right is the meaning.

From top left down, then next column, etc.
Aul-El (uncomprehendible) - no Asrai equivalent
Asur (the eternal flame) - no Asrai equivalent
Arhain (stealth, secrets, shadows, night, perfideousness) - Arahain
Ar'Hain (Agility, shelter)
Auyl'Isha or Quyl'Isha (sorrow, mercy, mourning) - Kel'Isha
Ca'Daith (grace, power, music of the stars) - Caidath
Cala'Dai (dragon's flame) - no Asrai equivalent
Caladim (divinity, pride, hubris) - no Asrai equivalent
Ceyl (law, order, justice, passion) - no Asrai equivalent
Cha'Roi (strength, ferocity) - no Asrai equivalent
Cynath (winter, cold, death) - Cynathier???
Darath - unknown what it is
Cy'Nath - unknown what it is
Da'Roir (remembrance, memory) - no Asrai equivalent
Eli'Cirus (ending, denial) - no Asrai equivalent
Hara'Thoi (youth, jealousy) - Haroith
La'Coi (might, glory) - Lakoys
Le'Cai (light, nobility of soul) - no Asrai equivalent
Men'Lui (water, like, majesty, weakness) - no Asrai equivalent
Mi'Naith (spirituality, The Lost Way, skill at arms) - no Asrai equivalent
Orio'Ur or Oriour (blood, birth) - Auryaur
Piluth (security, mathematics) - no Asrai equivalent
Qaba (hidden knowledge) - no Asrai equivalent
Sara'Thai or Sarathei (defiance) - Selathoi
Sariou (moon, magic, fortune, evil) - no Asrai equivalent
Sa'Roir (eternity, infinitiy, fire, heat) - no Asrai equivalent
Sen'Thoi (unity) - no Asrai equivalent
Se'Thai (flight, wind) - Sethayla
Sol (sun, consciousness) - no Asrai equivalent
Tha'Lui (hatred, vengeance) - Talu
Thanan (hidden power, inner strength) - no Asrai equivalent
Uri'Thair (destruction, conquest) - no Asrai equivalent
Yen'Lui (balance, harmony, chaos) - Yenayla
Lathain (storm, wrath, gently falling rain that brings eternal sleep)
Sen'Lui (swiftness, accuracy) - Sehenlu
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

You might not have noticed, but the Wood Elf Runes are the backdrop in our Magic Items section.
I was talking about a comprehensive list of runes, which the book doesn't have. Be interesting to know which of the runes just aren't mentioned and which are actually gone, though. I can't see the Asrai having much use for the rune Caladai, for example.
Cynath (winter, cold, death) - Cynathier???
Cyanath, I believe it is - the original adaption of Cynath, which stands for "chill, death, silence, loneliness" (maybe Morghur's just looking for some friendship? :P ). The "air" would be a suffix to signify that it refers to a specific person.

Note: Remove the apostrophes from the words. In the case where removing them creates dual-meanings for the one word (e.g. Arhain also meaning agility and shelter), remember that Eltharin has been described in places as something partly based on tones, including multiple different meanings for a single word/rune/whateveryouwanttocallit.
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Note: Remove the apostrophes from the words. In the case where removing them creates dual-meanings for the one word (e.g. Arhain also meaning agility and shelter), remember that Eltharin has been described in places as something partly based on tones, including multiple different meanings for a single word/rune/whateveryouwanttocallit.
That's interesting, since in the Asur book it uses apostrophes, but in the Asrai book it references them either without anything, or using hyphens.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

That's interesting, since in the Asur book it uses apostrophes
Er... no it doesn't. I'm sitting here with the 5th and 6th edition ABs open in front of me, and neither of them have apostrophes within the Asai (Greater Runes). Can you clarify what runes you're talking about?

(Oh, and the Quyl-Isha Asai doesn't count, since it's listed with a hyphen.)
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Hah, my bad then. I wasn't going off of the Asur books so much as a list of Asur runes I'd found on the net at some point long ago.

Still, if anyone feels like updating that list, go for it.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

I wasn't going off of the Asur books so much as a list of Asur runes I'd found on the net at some point long ago.
Then it's entirely your fault and you have nobody but yourself to blame. :wink:
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

And now my internal laziness factor will kick in, and I won't work on it anymore. :( But it's up on the net for anyone who feels like carrying on the legacy.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art