Alternative Models

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Crymson
Newcomer
Newcomer

Alternative Models

Post by Crymson »

G'day,

So I was wondering. I have seen people mentioning using models from other armies/manufacturers for their Wood Elves, such as using Centigors as Wild Riders and dryads + kroot parts as treekin. My question for you all is what have you you used to represent various troop types in your Wood Elf armies (apart from the proper models)?
7th Edition Record (W/D/L): 8/2/0
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

Well I've got Ents as treemen, converted dryads+kroot heads for treekin, a Reaper unicorn, a Reaper Wood elf lord as an eternal nolbe/highborn, and a Reaper centuar mage as a glamourweave spellsinger. I've also converted some glade gaurd to ride my warhawks, as I really don't like the regular riders.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

I have Terminators to represent my Tree Kin, a Krootox to represent my Treeman, Archaon's horse as my Great Stag, Glade Riders as Wild Riders, a Reaper mini for a Spellsinger, and High Elf Spearmen pieces for my Eternal Guard.

Funnily enough, it's not like I hate the current Wood Elf range. I just want my army to be original.
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Galengalad
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Galengalad »

I've used lots of Reaper models for my HE/We armies,
I'm also painting Rackham fiannas to be my wardancers, and several alchemists'clones to be eternal guard.
Confrontation has also several Spirits (animae (sp?) that I'll be using as dryads/nayads
Foundry has several elven ranges to recruit some models.
Fenryll also has some elves that can be included in your WE army.
You might also check Mars Ultor dark amazones - some of them are more suitable to DE, but there are some quite woodie-looking.
I'm not too fond of LOTR wood elves, but I'll be using an eagle, and a couple of sentinels. Looks like treeants are also nice...
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Galengalad wrote:I've used lots of Reaper models for my HE/We armies,
I'm also painting Rackham fiannas to be my wardancers, and several alchemists'clones to be eternal guard.
Confrontation has also several Spirits (animae (sp?) that I'll be using as dryads/nayads
Foundry has several elven ranges to recruit some models.
Fenryll also has some elves that can be included in your WE army.
You might also check Mars Ultor dark amazones - some of them are more suitable to DE, but there are some quite woodie-looking.
I'm not too fond of LOTR wood elves, but I'll be using an eagle, and a couple of sentinels. Looks like treeants are also nice...
Now correct me if I'm wrong (because I only have Wolfen sized Confrontation stuff) but isn't the scale used in Conf. bigger then the WHFB one? if so it would look a little weird since the proportions would be all over the place. I know for sure the animae would be bigger beause I have the small animae that comes with the Predators of blood set and it's half again the size of a waywatcher.

Foxtale wrote:I have Terminators to represent my Tree Kin, a Krootox to represent my Treeman, Archaon's horse as my Great Stag, Glade Riders as Wild Riders, a Reaper mini for a Spellsinger, and High Elf Spearmen pieces for my Eternal Guard.

Funnily enough, it's not like I hate the current Wood Elf range. I just want my army to be original.

I hope you're joking about that since that would be messed up to play against, I personally dislike proxy armies especially things that are completely unrelated like terminators and treekin.

As for my subs I currently only use ents as Treemen the rest of the models I'm fine with.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

i sculpted my own treekin as the models are really bad IMO the rest im fine with but i want to add more alternative models for wild riders
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

Beithir Seun wrote:but i want to add more alternative models for wild riders
Have you seen Joe Sturge's wild riders?
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

no i hadnt they're pretty impressive thanks Yak!

i dont kno if thats what i'm really after though...still, plenty of time to think about it!!
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

TerminusEst wrote:
Foxtale wrote:I have Terminators to represent my Tree Kin, a Krootox to represent my Treeman, Archaon's horse as my Great Stag, Glade Riders as Wild Riders, a Reaper mini for a Spellsinger, and High Elf Spearmen pieces for my Eternal Guard.

I hope you're joking about that since that would be messed up to play against, I personally dislike proxy armies especially things that are completely unrelated like terminators and treekin.
I hate proxy armies as well, but when you don't have your models painted, and you still want to play, there isn't any other alternative.

But you mistake me, I converted Terminators into Tree Kin. Check out the art thread (painting diary, whatever) in my signature. I didn't just use them as 'counts as'.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
YourMumRang
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by YourMumRang »

My Wardancers are Rackham models. I love them.

I'm getting them pro-painted for Xmas.
Galengalad
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Galengalad »

TerminusEst wrote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong (because I only have Wolfen sized Confrontation stuff) but isn't the scale used in Conf. bigger then the WHFB one? if so it would look a little weird since the proportions would be all over the place. I know for sure the animae would be bigger beause I have the small animae that comes with the Predators of blood set and it's half again the size of a waywatcher.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/S ... es/dr1.jpg

These models are the size of demonettes, they're even smaller than plastic driads.
Confrontation Fiannas are taller, than GW wardancers...but I guess when they riverdance nights and days they can become quite athletic... :)
Foundry is the right size, Fenryll is slightly higher, closer to Confrontation. Reaper models are also OK...
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Spyglass Minis are also alright. Same scale, but their heads are smaller, and they're really flat.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Galengalad wrote:These models are the size of demonettes, they're even smaller than plastic driads.
If it fits in with the rest of the models it will work especially since it doesn't really matter the size of a forest spirit in the same way that elves and humans matter (because spirits come in all shapes and sizes) but I though yours might be taller then dryads since I have the small Sylvan Animae that comes with the PoB set and it's the same size.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

@ YourMumRang: just out of interest, which Rackham models are your wardancers?
Grishnak
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Grishnak »

What do you think about using these Confro models as treekin ?

Or are they too small ? Maybe on s sculpted base ?
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

I've seen it done. They didn't look too bad, but I still prefer the GW ones. Perhaps they work better as Naiads.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

they dont look big and threatening enough to be treekin - they look more like freaky wardancers to me
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Oh, oops. I thought he meant using them as Dryads. No, they're pretty small if you're thinking of using them as tree kin.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Galengalad
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Galengalad »

I've made driads/nayads from these models. Not painted them yet...
Shalazzar
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Woodelves. Starter ^^

Re: Alternative Models

Post by Shalazzar »

Anyone got a good idead on how to use a rackham mini for characters? I attended my local shop today and found out that rackham minis have 25mm bases compared to the 20mm of WHF, so they won't fit into line...
And as the rackham ones are to be plugged into the base, it appears to me that glueing them to the base will be a bit tricky since they are of tin all the way...
I've especially been thinking about these models: Cynwäll Varsÿms, Daïkinee Standard Bearer (although wearing a shield), Kurujaï, Daïkinee archer, Onental the smuggler.
No One Lives Forever.
Galengalad
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Galengalad »

I've used a lot of Rackham models in my water-themed army. What you'll need to do is to cut the metal strip, connecting the legs to the size of your normal 20 mm base. It is easier if you ise the one with diagonal slot. You may also need to file this strip, as Rackham base is higher that GW.
Shalazzar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shalazzar »

[[ Does GW have bases with a diagonal slot? :eek: The ones I got with the Highborn I bought today only had (curses, what's the opposite of diagonal? forgot the word) a non-diagonal slot... ]]
Still, thanks for the answer so far ;)

[edit lateron] Uh, found them. Hadn't yet thought about buying separate bases since I do have enough.
Thanks, then. :thumbsup:
No One Lives Forever.
Knuth
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Knuth »

The biggest problem with all other manufacores, they wear to much armour... Found a bunch of models... Againe to much armour on them. The contron models usally use for wardancers are those skinnie girls with odd leags... Whats taht about... Very cool models if the did'nt make the funny legs.
"Knowledge is power, hide it well"
Shalazzar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shalazzar »

As long as the armor doesn't have extra spikes or something, it should be possible to just paint it to nonmetallic armor. I totally disagree with the concept of nonarmored military troops.
The armor they wear might be useless even against a small dagger and grant no combat-relevant protection, but I just cannot imagine anyone going to battle without at least placebo-armor.
Even the Glade Guards who don't get an AS have these branch-armor around their stomach-area modelled.
No One Lives Forever.