10%
Other
5%

Total votes: 93

Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

Aeryn wrote:Nope it doesnt take a rare choice so you can have an eagle some WWs and a treeman in 2000pts
You might want to check this. ;) I wouldn't want your opponent calling you a cheater.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
getwisteerd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by getwisteerd »

if you use it as a mount for a noble it doesn't take a rare slot.

But that would make him much more expensive and therefore less usefull for baiting, marchblocking, and all other things you only need the speed for.
Asthelann
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Asthelann »

as you will have plenty of fast moving units- 2 units of glade riders, an eagle noble and some wild riders, i voted for Waywatchers, as they be really useful and you couls use the shooting to pick of enemy heavy cavalry.
look left, no, the Other left....
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer
Location: In that bag. You know... the one you saw those guys tie up and chuck into the river last night. :(

Post by Aeryn »

Yup I just doublechecked for Yaks sake, No rare slot needed. :)
Elysian Fields...
We are storming the heavens,
To raise our swords and shields,
We ascend to our destiny,
To the Elysian Fields
http://s4.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=29840
Waerik
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Asrai, Druchii

Post by Waerik »

Yup I just doublechecked for Yaks sake, No rare slot needed.
Your semantics are right, but technically, you are wrong...
Nope it doesnt take a rare choice so you can have an eagle some WWs and a treeman in 2000pts
This is not legal, but it is alos a typing error from you...

When you refer to an eagle as a mount, please say so, and when you coment directly to a segment of another post, please quote it, makes it much easier for ppl like me who read this cinda stuff when I'm having my coffe...
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

I understand what you were saying now, but I would say that an eagle mounted noble fulfills a very different role than a plain eagle. When I tlak about taking an eagle, I mean a very useful, throwaway unit. Putting a noble on it does get you an eagle, but I wouldn't use it for the sort of suicide missions I give my eagles.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

i'd say waywatchers every time because i've had more success with them also eagles tend to expire quickly so i usually avoid them to get something that lasts longer i.e a treeman and WW
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Interesting perspectives from everyone. It appears I'm rather bucking the trend but Waywatchers are my compulsory rare choice, I just find them so useful. The 2nd is always fought over between the treeman and eagle, well actually its usually decided on whether I have enough points left for the tree to be honest.

I like my eagle because he looks cool but he never does as well as my waywatchers, those guys can shoot down a grail knight a turn without too much bother, in fact I once took out 3 in a turn, granted I was somewhat lucky, but they make great march blockers and the killing blow bow is just too awesome.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer
Location: In that bag. You know... the one you saw those guys tie up and chuck into the river last night. :(

Post by Aeryn »

Your semantics are right, but technically, you are wrong...

Quote:
Nope it doesnt take a rare choice so you can have an eagle some WWs and a treeman in 2000pts

This is not legal, but it is alos a typing error from you...

When you refer to an eagle as a mount, please say so, and when you coment directly to a segment of another post, please quote it, makes it much easier for ppl like me who read this cinda stuff when I'm having my coffe...
Apologies for my bad formatting.
Elysian Fields...
To the Elysian Fields
jefke
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by jefke »

I use ancient and ww. Both are a pain for your oponent.
Nevermore
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nevermore »

I still don't have new rulebook - could somebody explain that thing about shooters (archers) lose their Killing Blow ability? Thx.
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

KB is now only in CC, probably to stop the HE Swordmaster with KB Longbow. It also says that some units still have KB with bows, but that it's clearly stated in their army books. So WW still have KB with their bows, don't worry.
Kelpy
Newcomer
Newcomer

army list problems

Post by Kelpy »

Ok, i feel glade riders are just glorified archers not worth their salt ( dont call me an idiot please) . at twice as much as an archer, they can easily be killed by gnoblar sharp stuff ( that happened to my GR once Bfore i stopped using them) Now, i would kill either both or one of the units of GRs, bump up the WR and bring both WD units to 10 ( 7 is too little) then it all depends on your play style, do you want a fast , weavy aproach , or a " close in for the kill" aproach. , So tell me, and ill give you some advice ( i hav emy bad days, but i placed 8th in the baltimore GD tourney ) ....
Ithildir Hawk-eye
The Wanderer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Ithildir Hawk-eye »

Eagles for sure, and the fact that you can have 4 in under 2000 points game makes them easily more useful, but I still like Waywatchers a fair bit too.
Co-founder

Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin
Althathir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Althathir »

I love waywatchers now that being said I voted for the eagle. Eagles are an amazing choice and I think that they fit in with you list better. They give you another option for marchblocking, can magehunt or go after warmachines if necessary, plus they only cost 50 pts., I love WW but I have to admit that a lot of their effectiveness comes for the fear factor related with killing blow. The eagle gives your list greater flexiblity.
Puppyblue
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Puppyblue »

Ithildir Hawk-eye wrote:Eagles for sure, and the fact that you can have 4 in under 2000 points game makes them easily more useful, but I still like Waywatchers a fair bit too.
Sorry, but i think that's the old rules. IIRC they are 1 per slot now... :angry: Unless they've cahnged it in 7th ed. I'm more than happy for people to correct me on this point *Crosses fingers*

How many 1+ armour saves do u plan to face? Will ur army be able to take a JSoD or CCK (Or any other M7+ 1+ save units)? If u think u have enough anti-armour then GE for sure. But if ur like me and realize u have to face a JSoD in 1250pts, take the WW's cause nothing else that can catch him can hurt him.
No, its not Sydney...
Nope, not Melbourne either...
Come on, u can do it...
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

Sorry, but i think that's the old rules. IIRC they are 1 per slot now... Unless they've cahnged it in 7th ed. I'm more than happy for people to correct me on this point *Crosses fingers*
I think he means 1 as rare and 3 as character mounts.
Ithildir Hawk-eye
The Wanderer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Ithildir Hawk-eye »

Indeed, that is what I was talking about NightKnight and Puppyblue.
Co-founder

Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

um, im probably being very ignorant here but can someone tell me what JSoD means?? :unsure:
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

Jaguar Saurus of Doom (also known as Nike Saurus) - A Saurus Scar-Veteran/Oldblood with Jaguar Charm, giving it M9 like an Alter, but with better stats.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

oh right now i geddit!! i've been on the receiving end of that a lot!! it never seems to disappear from lizardmen lists that i play against!!! i hate the damn thing!! always out to ruin my day.... <_<
Aeryn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aeryn »

and CCK? is that chosen chaos knight?
Elysian Fields...
To the Elysian Fields
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

Yeah.
Puppyblue
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Puppyblue »

Back on Topic: How many points have u set aside for this rare choice?

I find my optimal unit size for WW's is 6 as it maximizes the number of potential KB's without making the unit too expensive or hard to hide. If u do have to face strong characters with good armour but u would need to scrounge around for points or drop units to fit WW's in then I would just take the GE.
No, its not Sydney...
Nope, not Melbourne either...
Come on, u can do it...
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by ihatecoldweather »

imo, 0 is the best unit size for waywatchers. :lol: But joking aside, i think a unit size of 5 is better than 6. Not only is a unit size of 5 cheaper and smaller (thus more manouvreable) than 6, but 5 is the maximum that the WW's will get in btb contact when fighting against crewmen (remeber, they do have 2 hand weapons). 6 isn't too bad, though.