Dark Wood Elves (suggestions wanted)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Blue Anders
Newcomer
Newcomer

Dark Wood Elves (suggestions wanted)

Post by Blue Anders »

Well I always like to be a bit different and I'm doing it again.
I've scraped my original mountain elves in winter idea (winter is to common a theme now) and I've replaced it with a much darker, more sinister theme. What I'm now thinking of doing is Wood Elves in Naggaroth (there are some forests there right?)
I don't actually have an army list yet so suggestions for any unit in the WE army would be appreciated.
I think dryads, tree-kin, and treemen are evil looking already so probably won't do much to them. But for the elves I'm not to sure, maybe mix and match from a DE and WE sprue, use DE models to represent certain units, or just stick my Wild Riders on cold ones :P
Can you tell this in the very early stages in my head? But I like it at the moment. Any thoughts?
Angrybeaver
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Angrybeaver »

I'm quite sure you've seen my "grey" wood elf. I've still to try one on the new minis or the color scheme... i'll try one and see....

The pic is way too blue than what it really is, it's the photography.
Try a codex grey skin tone on a test model, and use progressive white hilights.

Sorry.... i've tried resizing this like.... 6 times... oh well...

Cheers~!

Asrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Asrai »

come up with some killer fluff then why not! i think the trees should be more of a demonic mockery of real forest spirits, instead of them actually being forest spirits. it will make more sense to have your army fighting away from the dark north if they are not forest spirits
Thrask
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Skaven, Druchii and 40k Chaos.

Post by Thrask »

Thats the same thing I'm doing check out the "Dark Asrai" thread. maybe we can have combined fluff as a bunch of exiled WE?
The Waywatcher
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by The Waywatcher »

You could add spikes to the models, that would make them look more malicious and nasty.
The Spammurai
recruiting now...
Cenyu
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Cenyu »

Dark Asrai

Bring forth the Naggaroth Woodies! Naggaroth for the win. :D
Angrybeaver
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Angrybeaver »

The Waywatcher
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by The Waywatcher »

Like the idea Angry Beaver, although not sure about the colour scheme, maybe you could paint them purple like the DE?
The Spammurai
recruiting now...
Angrybeaver
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Angrybeaver »

Ya.... hear ya in requards to the color scheme. It does'nt quite work. I've done the traditional Dark Elves in purple..... and they look good. I was trying to figure out how to do Wood elves with a grey skin tone to give them a darker feel.

Since this is Blue Ander's thread, ... maybe we can get some more feedback as to what he want's to do with his Naggaroth Wood Elves.

Here's some Witch Elves i did with grey Skin. Looks good with Red and purple. Trying to get grey skin to work with green's and bown's..... hhhmmm...

Cenyu
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Cenyu »

Those Witch Elves look really, really good. They remind me strongly of LionOfFlander´s DE army.

Good work, I´d love to see more pictures of your Druchii.
Maedhros
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Maedhros »

Wardancers would be witch elves and wardancer models mixed and matched. A few sword swaps would look good.

Warhawk riders or great eagles could be warmaster manticores or saber tooths with fury wings.

Mix spare warrior parts with glade riders for glade riders.

Mix warriors and glade guard for Eternal Guard.

Hope this helps, I think it's a good idea.
Blue Anders
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Blue Anders »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I was thinking along the sort of lines Maedhros suggested. I'm kinda hoping to convert every model in my army so it's completely unique (not that I've ever done any converting before :P )
Weekend has been a bit hectic but hopefully I can have a look at some DE models and get a few more ideas soon.

Edit: Well I ve had a look at a few DE models and I'm thinking I could use assassins for waywatchers.
I really like the beastmaster models but not sure what to use them for though.
For mounts I'm not sure, I'm thinking either centigors or cold ones.
I'm also liking the harpy models, I guess they could be warhawks but they're on smaller bases right?
I like the shades too, maybe scouts? I'm not to sure yet.
Witch elves will probably appear a lot as wardancers and warhawk riders, and wild riders maybe, but I'm thinking maybe deamonettes for the wild riders, again I'm not to sure yet.
The thing thats kind of putting me off is all that metal, haven't really done much with metal models before and think it will make it hard to convert.
Not to sure about colours yet, dark greys and blacks maybe, maybe avoid reds and purples cos I don't want them to look totally like DE, just more evil then your normal WE.
endalion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by endalion »

also look at the Dark riders for more cloaky GRs.
"Fear gives blood such an exquisite taste"
Kourac, druchii
"For the land, my Lord, and the Lady"
Philas de Loure, Bretonnian knight of Quelles
"The voices of the trees guide both my arrows and your fate" unknown Wood elf
Dooppie
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Dooppie »

You could use animals of the dark elfs...but look out, the wood elfs become too much looking on dark elfs ;)

I like the idea of the darker wood elfs.
Blue Anders
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Blue Anders »

Your right Dooppie, I don't want them looking totally like DE. Maybe I'll take a few DE bodies and give them WE legs, heads, and arms.
SV_Harlequin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SV_Harlequin »

DE Shades converted to carry bows rather than crossbows would fit as they dont wear armour can can be easily painted and make good scouts or waywatchers.
Arquinsiel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The old waywatchers wear nice heavy cloaks, they're much darker in tone than the current versions. Interestingly, with a little work shades make really nice wardancers with large potential for conversions and interesting paintjobs.
Blue Anders
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Blue Anders »

Hadn't realised before that the Shades had no armour. They look to have a lot of movement in them, maybe they could work as warhawk riders.
I've also had another idea, over the many centuries my WE have been in Naggaroth they have absorbed many fleeing DE. So what I'm thinking about doing is that any DE armour there is I could make it look old and rusty, maybe even drill a few holes inn it to make it look even older.