New Army Blog -- Mostly 3rd Edition Figs

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

@BonsaiKindred: Of course. I'd love to put together something of a tutorial, giving a bit more indepth look at dipping. I'll try to get to it soon.

@Foxtale: Great points. Do you mean terrain that comes up and in some ways covers the figure, thus obscuring the thinness (a bit like the grass in the photo below)? Does the base below achieve what you're suggesting, or not?

Update 7/7/06 (1:40 AM -- man, I should be in bed. No, miniature-blogging is better than sleep!): First Painted Wild Rider

What do you think? Do the colors work? Does the base look okay. I'm still trying to stay within the realm of quick painting, so it's not super-ornate, but I want it to be effective. I think I have to smack the hair on the legs with a dark wash and some highlights. It looks especially flat in these pictures.

More pictures as well as the whole photo album of the riders, pre-conversion and pre-painting, is here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/ ... edia=image

They're all partially painted, but I don't think I'll finish tomorrow. My fiance is coming back from 3 weeks in California, so I doubt I'll be painting much. :D

cheers,

j
hal
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by hal »

I would never have agreed with red horses before, but now that I've seen this, well my opinion has completly changed.
You have a very simple yet very effective scheme, keep it up it looks great!
Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

@Hal: Thanks! I've been having fun looking at horse colour schemes. As a dwarf player, I've never painted a horse before. If anyone's interested, here are two pretty useful sites:

http://www.ellsweb.com/minis/horses.pdf
http://www.equusite.com/articles/basics ... lors.shtml

Update 7/10/06 -- Waywatchers

These are the first two waywatchers ... I have three more almost finished, but I wanted to finish these to see what I liked best. I wasn't sure what colour to make the leafy cloaks. I made one green and didn't love it so I made the other one red and didn't love that either because it didn't really fit in with the army. So after I matte sprayed it, I brushed over it with light green to catch the edges, and I think it looks okay.

Maybe you guys can tell me what you think. Which do you prefer? I want the waywatchers to stand out, but still be incorporated into the theme of the army.

Some of the bases will have tree-ish stuff on them. I wanted to convey the idea that the waywatchers were popping up among the brush, but my original conception would have covered the front of the mini and obscured it from vision. So I just have a bit more "stuff" on the bases than the regular archers.

Some more closeups:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Jim...cal&media=image

cheers,

j
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

I have to admit, I don't like the figures in the least, but you do such a remarkable job painting them, that they really shine. Excellent work. And thanks for the links on horses--I can use those as I've been putting off painting my riders.
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Location: In the dark and mildly active crypt that some people call the Battle Report Section

Post by Dori »

I like the models to some extent, but as davidvc04 said, your painting makes them look a lot better. What else do you have in store for us?

Dori
Ex Council Member
Check out my tactica's in my topic Dori's Tactica's
Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

@davidvc04: You don't like the old figures? Really? I like them so much more than current stuff, it's hard for me to imagine anyone not liking them, but I'm glad that you're liking the final result. :D

Update 7/12/06: Finished unit of Waywatchers.

They're a little shiny still ... I guess I have to hit them with another shot of matte coat. I went w/ the red & green cloaks. I like it and it does set them apart from the rest of the army. :)

And some closeups:

Here's a before-dipping shot, just to show how basicallyThe one has to basecoat the figs.

More pics here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Jim...es/Waywatchers/

cheers,

j
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Location: In the dark and mildly active crypt that some people call the Battle Report Section

Post by Dori »

I like the one with the red cloak. Overall, nice job on them all.

Dori
Ex Council Member
Kyte
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs, Wood elves, Beastmen, Ogre Kingdoms

Post by Kyte »

Your army is progressing nicely. If just my WWs were so easy! Mine are going to be heavy based...

- Kyte
warpmaster
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by warpmaster »

Hay there boss,could you tell if if you have added any thining agent to your dip or is it straight stain?

P.S you don't know a online store for minwax(can't get it here in New Zealand)
Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

Thanks all!

@warpmaster: No thinning agent at all. Just straight dip. I don't have a online site, but I would go to any home improvement store and find a polyurethane wood stain. I'd imagine that other similar products will work just as good as Minwax. You'll want a medium-dark brown (I use Walnut) ... I bought small cans to test colours at the beginning. The mahogany was too dark and really obscured the colours, so I'm glad I tested.

The trick is not thinning the dip, but rather shaking the mini very vigorously after dipping. You want to get off as much extra stain as you can.

cheers,

j
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Dori »

Jimmytrout wrote:The trick is not thinning the dip, but rather shaking the mini very vigorously after dipping. You want to get off as much extra stain as you can.
But not so much as to damage the model ;)

Shall we be expecting any other units being dipped?

Dori
Ex Council Member
Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

@Dori: Absolutely! I've finished painting the wild riders and I just have to base them. After that I figure I should go back and do another unit of archers and another unit of wardancers. O yes, and a unit of glade riders. Eventually I plan on converting a few units of dryads and stretching out an old treeman. Plus, I have about 26 old spearmen + some command figs + 10 new eternal guard figs, so I want to put together two units of EG ... the new figs will be the front ranks, the old figs will be back ranks. I also have some warhawks, but I'm still figuring out what to do for riders.

I played my very first game w/ WE last Thursday (against Lizardmen) and I learned some things. I'm so used to Dwarves that I let him bring the battle to me rather than getting my wardancers and dryads across the battlefield and into battle quick! But I really like the wardancers, so I think I'm going to stick to my original impulse of using 3 units of them. Fun!

cheers,

j
Kyte
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kyte »

What about characters? You'll need more, as an alter can't be your gen. You'll propably need some magister too.
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

You'll propably need some magister too
hehehe magister. why dont you call them by their actual names?

excellent job, probably some of the best dipping ive seen. i like the characters alot, though whats your list look like?
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
Kyte
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kyte »

Highborn Sycath wrote: hehehe magister. why dont you call them by their actual names?
Because I don't trust anything but Tzeentch Magic. Other mages are known as magisters, magicians or fortunetellers or witchdocters or some name, that makes a joke of a magic user.
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Dori »

@Dori: Absolutely! I've finished painting the wild riders and I just have to base them. After that I figure I should go back and do another unit of archers and another unit of wardancers. O yes, and a unit of glade riders. Eventually I plan on converting a few units of dryads and stretching out an old treeman. Plus, I have about 26 old spearmen + some command figs + 10 new eternal guard figs, so I want to put together two units of EG ... the new figs will be the front ranks, the old figs will be back ranks. I also have some warhawks, but I'm still figuring out what to do for riders.
What model will you be using for the treeman? 5th Edition? I'd love to see what you can do with it (I'm still painting mine).

I look forward to your next models.

Dori
Ex Council Member
Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

Yup, 5th Ed. I'm just going to lengthen his legs and arms probably, and make him more dynamic. That's my thought so far. I might add greenstuff to his face to make him less demonic/scary and more ancient and venerable.

I think I'm going to make some preparatory sketches. If I do, I'll include them here.

cheers,

j
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

magisters, magicians or fortunetellers or witchdocters or some name, that makes a joke of a magic user
off topic, but what mages from what armys are called fortune tellers and witchdoctors?

the treeman should look ecspecially good dipped, though mayby go over and highlight it again after the dip...
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Dori »

If you're speaking of the daemonic looking one, then wouldn't that be the one raising its hand?

I don't really like the model, but I own two of them. The other I prefer more. I might try sculpting my own treeman, after I take a course in sculpture in school. Well that is, if they teach me anything ;)

I'd love to see a willow treeman :D

Dori
Ex Council Member
Deathwing
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Deathwing »

Jimmytrout, those models are awesome...like davidvc04 I´m not too fond of the figures, well not all, but your paintjob is wonderful!!! great work.
Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

Update 7/28/06: (almost) Finished Wildriders

I still need to matte coat them ... I'll update the pictures after I do so tomorrow. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/ ... G_1548.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/ ... G_1547.jpg

cheers,

j
Last edited by Jimmytrout on 14 Aug 2006, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
hal
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by hal »

They look soooooo good as an assembled unit, it's unbelievable what some dipping can do!
Can't wait for more pics.
Kyte
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kyte »

hal wrote:They look soooooo good as an assembled unit, it's unbelievable what some dipping can do!
Can't wait for more pics.
Heard, Heard!!!!!

- Kyte
Jimmytrout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jimmytrout »

Hey all! Finally I'm back with some better pictures of the matte-sealed wild-riders. Here you go:

Before:

After:

You can check out other pictures here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/ ... ders/?sc=5

I'm going to try to get a picture of the entire army to-date.

cheers,

j
hal
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by hal »

Once again jimmy they look fantastic!