IHCW Battle report: Against the Bret?s 2K. With image maps!

Moderator: Council of Elders

ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

IHCW Battle report: Against the Bret?s 2K. With image maps!

Post by ihatecoldweather »

Anyway, I decided to do another battle report. This time with no story line (so it is shorter). Also, I have replaced text maps with images. Unfortunately, the images didn?t turn out so well. I used photobucket.com but for some reason the images were converted from bitmap into jpeg. Also, the images are 4x smaller for some reason. Originally they were supposed to be 600 x 480 pixels. However, for reasons beyond my comprehension they have been shrunk to 300 x 240 pixels. Sorry. :cry: I did try my best to make the images accurate down to the last pixel.

Anyway, I?m choosing one of the more unique battles that I had to use as a battle report. :) I find the more interesting battles make better battle reports. This battle took place like a month ago at a friend?s house. My friend plays Bret?s and is quite experienced. I originally started writing this report a few weeks ago but stopped due to laziness. Anyway, sorry for the inactivity lately. It?s done now so here is the battle report.

Battle report: Against the Bret?s 2K.

IHCW?s Army:

Wardancer Lord 265
Moonstone of the Hidden Path
Blades of Loec

Alter Noble 158
GW, LA, shield
Hail of Doom Arrow
Helm of the Hunt

L1 Branch Wraith 165
Cluster of Radiants
Annoyance of Netlings

L2 Spell Singer 187
Elven Steed
Deepwood Sphere
Dispel Scroll

8 Dryads 96

8 Dryads 96

8 Dryads 96

10 Glade Guard 120

5 Glade Riders 120

7 Wardancers 126

Treeman 285

Treeman 285

Total: 1999

As you can tell, it?s not a usual WE list. It isn?t even my usual WE list (not that I actually have a usual list). However, it is different in that it uses some of the less used parts of the WE such as the deepwood sphere and the wardancer lord. So hopefully, as I?m using a different list the battle report will be a bit more interesting. ;)

Bret?s Army:

Bret Lord 215
Virtue of Confidence
Gromil Helm
Enchanted Shield
Lance, Heavy Armour
Barded Horse

BSB Paladin 113
Heavy Armour
Barded Horse
War Banner, Virtue of Duty

L2 Damsel 155
Horse
Sacraments of the Lady

L2 Damsel 140
Horse
Dispel Scroll

L2 Damsel 140
Horse
Dispel Scroll

6 Knights of the Realm 144
Champion

8 Knights of the Realm 208
Champion, Standard

8 Knights of the Realm 208
Champion, Standard

16 Skirmishing Bowmen 127
Braziers, Standard

5 Mounted Yeomen 82
Musician

5 Mounted Yeomen 82
Musician

3 Pegasus Knights 165
Champion

3 Pegasus Knights 165
Champion

Trebuchet with 5 crewmen 100

Total: ???? (2044)

I?m unsure the point costs of the units or of the army. I?d appreciate it if someone could add those points up for me. But I think this is what the bret player had. Though I thought that Pegasus Knights were a 0-1 choice. When I questioned him he said that Pegasus Knights were not a 0-1 choice. At the time he didn?t bring his army book to verify it though. :P

Terrain:

This game was played on a 5? by 4? field that the Bret player owned. We both brought some assorted terrain pieces (I brought some rocky terrain, some forests, a small round hill and some hedges, the Bret player brought a river, a larger hill and a building). In the end we both decided to place a bit of everything (no silly terrain generator this time). Anyway, to one corner we placed a small 3? radius forest and in another corner we placed a large 6? by 12? rocky terrain area. A large 6? by 12? hill was placed in the 3rd corner and in the 4th corner a river was placed. We rolled for tablesides. I won so I chose the side with the hill and the river. I placed my free forest roughly in the centre of the field.

Anyway, here is a map of the field that was used (my deployment area is at the bottom):

In case you haven?t guessed the round dark green areas are the forests, the rectangular grey area is the rocky terrain, the blue strip is the river and the light green area is the hill.
Oh, btw, the scale is one pixel represents a fifth of an inch or roughly half a centimetre. Keep in mind that the when I used photobucket.com the pictures were converted to jpeg and shrunk for some reason. :angry:

Deployment:

Both of us rolled for deployment and the Bret player won and forced me to go first. Anyway, by placing my more obvious units such as dryads, archers and the riders I managed to get a pretty good idea of what the Bret player had before he had an idea of what I had. The look on his face when I deployed 2 treemen near the end was priceless. :D The Bret player placed a unit of Pegasus riders at each of his flanks. The trebuchet was placed near the rocky terrain area and the massive skirmishing archer unit was placed near the forest. The Bret player placed a unit of fast cavalry on each of his flanks. The Bret player used the 2 LOS blocking pieces of terrain, the skirmishing archers and the Pegasus Knights to screen his fast cavalry from dying to arrow shots on the first turn. :( The 3 knight units were placed in the centre with the smaller unit in the middle. A mage was placed in each of the units and the lord and BSB were placed inside the smaller unit.

As for myself, the 3 dryad units were spread out among the centre and the right flank of the field. The archers were placed on top of the hill and the glade riders were placed toward the far left flank. In the centre the 2 treemen and the unit of wardancers were placed tightly together at the 12? line just behind the forest. The idea would be that the treeman would move into the forest to tree surf and the wardancers would move into the forest to use their teleporting ability. I placed the lord in the wardancer unit, I placed the mounted spell singer in the glade rider unit, I placed the branch wraith in a dryad unit to the far right flank and the alter was placed on the left flank near the dryads to benefit from proximity.

Anyway, here is a map of the field after the deployment phase:

In case you haven?t guessed, the blue models belong to the Bret player and the red models belong to me. And it is pretty easy to tell which unit is which by the base sizes (ex. The treeman are the 50 mm by 50 mm red squares, the Pegasus knights are the 40mm by 40 mm blue squares, etc.) I tried to make base sizes and movement as accurate as possible.

[Btw, at this point I accidentally switched to present tense. Sorry, I know it?s bad grammar; I?m just too lazy to change it though.]

As for spells: The branch wraith receives twilight host but that is exchanged for a treesing. The spell singer receives fury of the forest and the call of the hunt. The call of the hunt is exchanged for treesing. The Bret player decides to have two mages take life and the central mage take beast. The mage on the left receives master of woods and master of stone, the centre mage receives bear?s anger and crow?s feast and the mage on the right receives mistress of the marsh and father of the thorn.

IHCW turn 1:

I go first because of the Bret Ward save. :P

Movement: The Treemen and wardancers move their full movement forward into the forest (the treemen march). The archers move up. Glade riders march to within close range of the Pegasus Knights to be able to shoot at them. The 3 dryad units move forward. The 2 units near the centre keep back slightly to avoid charge range with the knights. The alter follows moving 9 inches to be able to shoot.

As I am unsure about whether or not my opponent will disagree with me if I use the moonstone at the end of any movement phase (I never asked him) I decide to avoid spending half an hour discussing it and use it on my turn. :( At the end of my movement phase I forest-teleport the wardancer unit to the other forest. The wardancers are now within charge range of the mounted yeomen and archers. I cleverly place the wardancers to screen the glade riders from the skirmishing bowmen.

At the end of my movement phase the field looks like:

Magic: I use my bound tree singing spells first and the Bret player decides to let them through (thinking that treesing is a weak ability). Then I attempt 2 treesings, one with 1 dice and the other with 2. The Bret Player dispels the second treesing but the first treesing gets through. The Bret player also dispels the fury of the forest with the remaining dice. So 3 treesings get through, in total I manage to tree surf the treemen 10 inches!

Shooting: :D Thanks to massive tree surfing ability both treemen are now within strange root distance from the enemy knights. I target the ?super? unit with both root attacks. As a result 2 knight units perish. The glade guard and glade riders shoot at the Pegasus knights on the far left. The glade riders shoot at close range and the glade guard shoot at long range. Luckily, I manage to knock a wound off of one of the knights. The alter doesn?t use the HoDA (I?m saving it up for the mounted yeomen) and attempts to shoot at the other Pegasus knight unit. It hits but fails to wound. :(

Combat: none yet

At the end of the turn the field looks like:

Bret turn 1:

The knights are within terror range of the treeman. If one fails its test it will probably flee off of the board. Unfortunately, because of a nearby general, all 3 knight units luckily pass their terror tests.

Movement: Now the Bret player has a difficult decision to make. The bret player can attempt to charge the treemen, and hopefully break them in which case the bret player would gain a significant amount of VP (nearly 600) and take out a major threat before the dryads can support them but risk being trapped in the forest OR the bret player can allow the tree surfing, terror causing, march blocking, strangle root shooting treemen to continue to cause havoc and try to move around them, in which case the treemen will probably just tree surf in the way again. The Bret player chooses the lesser of the 2 evils and attempts to charge the treemen. The treemen stand and shoot with S5 strangle roots. The knights on the left fail their fear check and do not charge. :D 3 knights perish from S5 strangle roots.

In an attempt to kill the dryads with the BW, the Pegasus knights on the right charge the dryad unit; they pass their fear check. Realising that the alter is in charge range of the trebuchet next turn the bret player marches up the mounted yeomen on the right and reforms to adopt the snake formation to counter charge the alter if the alter charges the trebuchet. The other mounted yeomen unit, being march blocked, moves as far away from the wardancers as possible and reforms to prepare to counter charge the wardancers if they charge the bowmen. The other unit of Pegasus knights moves out of charge range from the glade riders and prepares to counter charge my wardancers if they attempt to charge the skirmishing archers.

At the end of the movement phase the field looks like:

Magic: As some mages are in CC the Bret player decides not to use the sacraments of the lady. Master of the woods is cast on the wardancers (who are in a forest) and master of stone is cast on the archers. I scroll the master of stone and using 3 dice plus the additional dice from magic resistance I just barely dispel the master of woods. With the remaining dice the Bret player attempts to cast the bear?s anger on his lord. With my remaining dice I dispel the bear?s anger attempt.

Shooting: The bowmen can either shoot at the WD?s (but on 6?s) or attempt to move and then shoot at either the GG or GR at long range with only a portion of the models (as some would be out of LOS). The bowmen decide to shoot at the wardancers as they have a better chance at killing them. The bowmen shoot and only 1 shot actually hits and it is saved by the ward saves. :P However, I don?t get as lucky with the trebuchet. The trebuchet shoots at the dryads next to the alter. And thanks to very good guessing and very lucky rolling it lands roughly where it was supposed to land. It hits 3 dryads and the alter character; unfortunately 2 of the dryads perish.

Combat: In the combat with the treeman and the central knight unit, the knight unit manages to do an impressive 3 wounds to the treeman! In retaliation the treeman directs all attacks to the BSB and kills him. In the combat between the other treeman and knight unit the knights wound the treeman on the charge. In retaliation the treeman directs some attacks at the champ and some at the main unit. As a result the champ and a regular knight perish. Both treeman pass their stubborn break tests. In the other combat between the dryads and Pegasus knights my BW challenges his Pegasus champ. Thanks to netlings the BW takes no wounds but the other Pegasus knights manage to kill 2 dryads. In retaliation the dryads manage to wound a Pegasus knight. The BW fails to wound at all. :( The dryads are down a wound but have outnumber so they don?t have to take a break test.

IHCW turn 2:

Movement: My wardancers can either charge the bowmen (and then get double charged on the consecutive turn by the Pegasus knights and the mounted yeomen) OR I could hide in the forest from the Pegasus knights and get magiced to death by master of the woods. Since this is my best chance to take out the major shooting threat I charge the skirmishing bowmen with maximum in btb contact. :P Also, the skirmishing bowmen can?t stand and shoot because I?m within half charge range. :D

In an attempt to avoid being counter charged by the mounted yeomen the alter does not charge the trebuchet and moves forward 9?. Both dryad units move forward. The unit on the left moves sideways a bit to avoid charge range with the knight unit. The glade guard move forward 5?. The spell singer leaves the glade rider unit and moves toward the forest with the treemen and the knights. The glade riders march to a position to counter charge the mounted yeomen if they attempt to counter charge the wardancers for charging the mounted yeomen.

Magic: I attempt a treesing with 2 dice and the fury of the forest on the Pegasus knights with 3 dice. The fury of the forest is scrolled and the treesing is dispelled with dice.

Shooting: The alter unleashes the HoDA on the mounted yeomen unit and 4 die as a result. The glade guard and spell singer shoot at the Pegasus knights but fail to pass armour saves. The glade riders shoot at the Knights of the Realm but also fail to pass armour. The lone mounted yeomen fails it?s panic test and flees off of the table.

Combat: On the charge the wardancers adopt the storm of blades and manage to kill 14 of the 16 bowmen! The 2 remaining bowmen break and I restrain pursuit. In the combat between the dryads and the pegasus knights the dryads manage to kill off the wounded pegasus knight while the remaining pegasus knight fortunately manages to kill a dryad. In the challenge the BW wounds the champ while the champ fails to wound the BW thanks to annoyance of netlings. The pegasus knights autobreak due to fear but manage to escape the pursuing dryads.

In the combat between the main knight unit and the treeman to the left the treeman takes a wound but manages to kill off the champ and another knight model. The treeman wins combat as the treeman has an additional wound and both units are tied by unit strength. However, the Knights of the Realm pass their break test. In the other combat between the knights and the other treeman the treeman takes no wounds but unluckily enough fails to get past the knight?s armour. The treeman manages to pass its break test.

Bret turn 2:

Movement: The non-fleeing pegasus knights and the remaining unit of mounted yeomen counter charge the wardancer unit for charging the skirmishing bowmen. The unengaged unit of knights charge the treeman to the left. The Bret player chooses not to rally the Pegasus Knights to avoid being charged and destroyed by the dryads or alter character.

Magic: The bret player attempts to cast bear?s anger on the lord but it is dispelled. :D All 3 of the mage units are in CC.

Shooting: The trebuchet attempts to shoot at the dryads, the branch wraith and the alter. And again, thanks to lucky rolling the alter takes a wound and a dryad perishes. :(

CC: The combination of the charging unit of Knights of the Realm and the central Knight unit manage to finish off the treeman on the left. The larger knight unit overruns into the other treeman unit. In the other combat between the remaining treeman and the Knights of the realm the knights fail to wound, while the treeman kills another knight. The treeman passes his break test.

The wardancers adopt the shadows coil dance to avoid falling to the 2 charging units. The champ challenges my lord. Luckily enough only 2 of the wardancers fall thanks to the 4+ ward save. In retaliation, the wardancers finish off the wounded Pegasus Knight and the lord manages to wound the champ in the challenge. The wardancers are flanked and outnumbered so loose combat by 2. Thanks to leadership 10 they pass their break test.

IHCW turn 3:

Movement: By about turn 3, just about every unit is in combat. The dryads with the branch wraith charge the trebuchet. The glade riders charge the mounted yeomen. The left most unit of dryads charges the knights of the realm and the remaining unit of dryads along with the alter character charge the other knights of the realm unit. The glade guard, as they have no targets, march and wheel forward. The spell singer moves partially into the forest in order to use the deepwood sphere.

Magic: I reveal the deepwood sphere. :evil: With so many of the Bret models in the woods and magic resistance is useless against the sphere. I use the sphere and I manage to do a wound to each of the mages, kill off the last knight in the central knight unit and kill 2 knights from the larger knight unit (one of which happened to be a champion). :D I attempt to cast fury of the forest with 2 dice and treesing with 3 dice on the unengaged knight unit. Treesing is scrolled and the fury of the forest is dispelled with dice.

Shooting: none

Combat: The wardancers adopt the whirling death dance and killing blow the final two pegasus Knight models; the wardancer lord even receives an overkill point. On the charge the glade riders kill 4 of the mounted yeomen. However, The remaining model manages to kill off a wardancers. The mounted yeoman breaks and the glade riders pursuit off of the table (while the wardancers restrain pursuit). In the other combat, on the charge the dryads with branch wraith manage to kill off all of the crewmen. The dryads overrun into the trebuchet (just to spite my opponent).

In the massive combat in the centre of the field (around the forest) I get the worst of luck. The charging knights manage to wound the remaining treeman twice. In retaliation, the combination of 2 dryad units, an alter and a treeman only manage to knock off a mere a knight from each unit and the wounded life mage with mistress of marsh and father of the thorn. The remaining Knights manage to kill off another dryad. The Bret player has outnumber, flank, a rank and a standard while the WE have flank and rear. The WE loose combat by 1. However, As a result of unlucky rolling the treeman and both dryad units break. The large Knight of the realm unit pursuits and kills off the treeman and even the smaller dryad unit. :( On the bright side the alter passes his panic tests.

Note: as the trebuchet has lost its crew it is now neutral and is controlled by no one. I coloured the trebuchet white to represent this.

Bret turn 3:

Movement: The bret player successfully rallies the pegasus knights. The knights of the realm turn and move in the direction of the alter. The lord and unengaged mage separate and move out of the forest in fear of the deepwood sphere. The lord blocks LOS between my archers and the damsel.

Magic: The Bret player attempts to cast crow?s feast with 3 dice and casts it with irresistible force on my dryads. :angry: As a result I loose another 2 dryads. However, I do manage to dispel master of the woods and master of stone.

Shooting: None.

Combat: Just to spite my opponent the dryads attack the neutral trebuchet and wound it. In the combat between the alter and the knights the knights fail to kill off the alter and the alter manages to wound and kill off one of the knights. As a result it is a tie combat.

IHCW turn 4:

Movement: Knowing that my dryads would lose combat even with a flank charge against the knights they do not charge. The other unit of dryads rally. The glade riders move back onto the table and move right next to the wounded beast mage. :evil: The glade guard move in the direction of the unengaged knight unit. The mage moves into the forest to have LOS with the unengaged knight unit. The wardancers and dryads with branch wraith move the full 10? to surround the bretonnian general and prevent any escape.

Magic: I use the deepwood sphere and the remaining knight in CC with the alter perishes. :P. The spell singer casts fury of the forest with 3 dice and treesing with 2 dice. I fail to cast the 4+ treesing and fury of the forest is dispelled with all of the bret player?s remaining dice.

Shooting: The glade riders shoot at the lone, wounded, mounted mage and kill her. The glade guard and spell singer shoot at the larger Knights of the realm unit. As a result, one knight model perishes. The lord passes his panic test.

Combat: none

Bret turn 4:

Movement: The Knights of the Realm charge the alter character. The alter character flees and the knights fail to charge. Realising that the Bret lord cannot escape combat the Bret lord passes his fear check and charges strait into the dryad unit with branch wraith. The Pegasus Knights finally move out of hiding and move next to the glade riders.

Magic: The Bret player attempts to cast master of the woods with 3 dice. I dispel the attempt.

Combat: The Branch Wraith challenges the Bretonnian lord. On the charge the bretonnian lord manages to wound the branch wraith. The branch wraith fails to get past the crazy rerollable armour save. :(

IHCW turn 5:

Movement: The wardancer unit with wardancer lord charges the Bret Lord. The Bret Lord passes yet another leadership test for being charged in the rear. The alter rallies. The glade riders move away from the pegasus knights, The dryads and archers move forward. The mage moves out of LOS from the knight unit.

Magic: I attempt fury of the forest with 3 dice. As I roll high the opponent decides not to dispel it. I attempt treesing with 2 dice but it is dispelled. The fury of the forest manages to knock off a knight. ;)

Shooting: The glade riders and glade guard shoot at the Pegasus Knights. Unfortunately, the wound goes to the unwounded model rather than the wounded champ. The mage shoots at the knights of the realm but the arrow fails to get past armour.

Combat: In the challenge the Bret lord finishes off the branch wraith and even gets an overkill point. However, the lord is auto broken due to fear and the dryads and wardancers pursuit. Unfortunately, the lord escapes. However, the dryads and wardancer are now in CC with the Knights of the realm.

Bret turn 5:

Movement: The pegasus knights counter charge the dryad in CC with the knights of the realm. The Bret Lord rallies.

Magic: none

Combat: The charging pegasus knights get lucky and manage to kill all 3 of the remaining dryads. The wardancers take the whirling death dance and kill off the entire knight unit with the exception of the mage. The Bret player has out number so wins combat by 1. The wardancers pass the break test on a 9.

IHCW turn 6:

Movement: The alter charges the pegasus knights. As it is the last turn I move my units to take table quarters. The archers move back to take the bottom left quarter, the dryads move left to take the top left quarter. The glade riders reform to the torpedo formation and march strait towards the bottom right corner. The glade riders are joined by the spell singer.

Combat: On the charge the alter kills both pegasus knights (with 1 wound remaining each) and overruns strait into the trebuchet. The remaining damsel challenges my wardancer lord. The wardancers takes the shadow?s coil dance. Anyway, the wardancer lord kills off the damsel with like 3 overkill points.

Bret turn 6:

Movement: The Bret lord charges my wardancer unit with wardancer lord. If the Bret Lord succeeds then not only will the Bret player kill off the general, but probably break the wardancers, which will result in 2 less captured standards and 1 less captured table quarter. If the Bret lord fails then the Bret player will lose the VP for the general as well as his lord. It?s a gamble that risks more than 1000 VP.

Anyway, at the end of the movement phase the field looks like:

Combat: For pure spite the alter noble attacks the trebuchet. The alter noble successfully finishes it off. :D

His lord challenges my lord and I accept. I choose to take the whirling death shadow dace. The bretonnian lord does 1 wound and then another. But fortunately not a 3rd wound. My lord retaliates with 5 attacks. Thanks to the reroll ability of the blades of loec the lord manages to killing blow the Bretonnian Lord.

At the end of the match the field looks like:

Victory Points:

Well I managed to successfully kill the entire Bret army (+2000).
In addition, I managed to claim all 4 table quarters (+400), kill off the enemy general (+100) and managed to pick up 3 of the 4 standards (+300).

That leaves my VP at 2800.

The bret player managed to kill off both of the treemen (+570), the branch wraith (+165), 2 units of dryads (+192) and more than half of the wounds from my army general (+133). He almost killed off my alter too. :(

The means the Bret player received 1060.

The difference is 1740! A massacre. :P

Anyway, that was my battle report.

I tried a few new things such as image maps instead of text maps. I also tried no story line as well. Anyway, how do you think it compares to my previous battle reports? Too long? Too short? Too hard to follow?

Let me hear your feedback!

And btw, if you know how I can display images as bitmap let me know. :mad: Photobucket.com converted my images to jpeg and made them smaller. :(

Individual Point Costs Deleted - Dori
Last edited by ihatecoldweather on 27 Jul 2006, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Upyr
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: None. But hopefully soon: Tomb Kings / Necron.

Post by Upyr »

I didnt have the strenght to go through every sentence I must admit, but I havent slept yet so thats my excuse ;P

Anyway I dig the pics, and the report was great if one is looking for a detailed one! I prefer the narrative kind but this one was very good still.

However, your opponent cheated. And I cant really justify it, how could he miss the 0-1 so very well written-out in the Bret Army Book? I dont know, maybe you should give him a pair of reading-glasses as a suggestive little gift ^^

Also he cant cast the Bears Anger on the Lord unless he is on foot.

Well thats it for now, good work with the win against Brets!
"There is no shame in defeat as long as the spirit remains unconquered"
/Praetor Fenix

Dogs of War forum, come join us!
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Inquisition_De_Cobre
Enendill
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Enendill »

Wow, reaaaally long report, I went through it as I haven't faced Bretts before and I wanted to read a battle with them.

I went through his list and it is illegal since he must have a Lord on Royal Pegasus in order to field more than one unit of Pegasus Knights. Also, his list is more than 2K that yours is. It sums up to 2037 points with 4 crew members in the trabuchet.

As far as the presentation of your list, try to avoid posting the individual point values, not only most people know the individual point values but also it is a breach of copywright.

The battle was nice though, I didn't get this:
ihatecoldweather wrote:The remaining Knights manage to kill off another dryad. The Bret player has outnumber, flank, a rank and a standard while the WE have flank and rear.
The Dryads are skirmishers, so they don't get rank bonusses, do they?

Appart from that, the HoDA worked great, although I would use the Alter a bit differently. You were lucky there with the trebuchet, it could have decimated your units.

All in all, congrats for your win, well done, nice battle fought. And the praise is bigger when you concider that you faced an actually bigger force. Well done.

Bitmaps are converted into jpeg by Photobucket for storage reasons, also the size is altered for the same reason. It is good though that the pics were at that size, they were easier to follow alongside the bat.rep.

Try to make your reports shorter though, maybe stick just to the facts and not report your thoughts, because it gets too long. Also, try to post pics just for the end of each turn, not the detail sections of the battle. It took me almost 1 hour to read through all of your report and write this answer.
Beware the one lurking in the shadows
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

He cheated several time throughout that battle, if what you said was accurate. I'll go into more detail later if you want, but well on on whooping the cheating gibbon.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Yak wrote:He cheated several time throughout that battle, if what you said was accurate. I'll go into more detail later if you want, but well on on whooping the cheating gibbon.
He cheated! :mad: Pegasus Knights a 0-1 choice unless on a royal pegasus (though i thought so at the time) and going over with points. Oh well, it doesn't look like he cheated that bad (only a few points). :P Anyway, please tell me more detail about the cheating. :D
Enendill wrote: The battle was nice though, I didn't get this:
ihatecoldweather wrote: The remaining Knights manage to kill off another dryad. The Bret player has outnumber, flank, a rank and a standard while the WE have flank and rear.
The Dryads are skirmishers, so they don't get rank bonusses, do they?
I said that the bret player had the rank and the WE had a flank and rear. I guess it's not that hard to misread. Rear + flank -> rflank -> rank.

And please tell me where you would have used the alter differently. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Next time i'll try to make it shorter.
Enendill
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Enendill »

Ahhh yeah, my bad, sorry mate. You see, after such a report, I started to see things!
Beware the one lurking in the shadows
YourMumRang
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by YourMumRang »

I love reports like this! Great sounding battle and excellently presented!
Christian Aas
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Christian Aas »

Great report! I enjoyed it very much!

It's always a pleasure to see the Brets go down to Welves, since it is quite a bad matchup for us to begin with! Well played!

I'm one of them who prefers plain battle reports without long storylines so I liked this one alot. The maps where very good, well worth it!

Just one thing I wonder:

* Why S5 on the strangeroots when he charged you? Is it a typo? Because it's only S4?
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Enendill wrote:Ahhh yeah, my bad, sorry mate. You see, after such a report, I started to see things!
that's not a good sign.
YourMumRang wrote: I love reports like this! Great sounding battle and excellently presented!
:D I'm flattered.
Christian Aas wrote: * Why S5 on the strangeroots when he charged you? Is it a typo? Because it's only S4?
It's not a typo. Strangle roots are usually S4. However, if the target is partially within a woods then it is S5. And since the Bret's charged through woods... those strangle roots were S5.
Christian Aas
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Christian Aas »

Oh, my bad! Have to read the book better!
GobbladasSquig
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GobbladasSquig »

ihatecoldweather wrote:It's not a typo. Strangle roots are usually S4. However, if the target is partially within a woods then it is S5. And since the Bret's charged through woods... those strangle roots were S5.
They started their charge outside woods 6" or less from your treemen, so you would have strangle-rooted them with strenght 4. IF you could have. You see, you can't stand-and-shoot if the enemy charges you from within half their charge range. So that was an error from your part.
ihatecoldweather's battle report, turn 2 wrote:In an attempt to avoid being counter charged by the mounted yeomen the alter does not charge the trebuchet and moves forward 9”.
This is where at least I would have played differently with your alter. You were afraid of snaking mounted yeomen charging you? Statistically you would have won that combat by two. Plus you probably would have been able to stand-and-shoot with the Hail of Doom Arrow. Or you would have probably been able to overrun/pursuit far enough to keep him safe.

Also, at the beginning of the Bretonnian player's second turn, he couldn't have charged your treeman with his knights. According to the picture they are in the treeman's front arc, and the treeman's front is engaged. So there wouldn't have been room for the knights.
ihatecoldweather's battle report, turn 2 wrote:And again, thanks to lucky rolling the alter takes a wound and a dryad perishes. :(
It's really not very lucky rolling to cause a single wound on your alter when the machine causes d6 of them per wounding hit. You should consider yourself extremely lucky.

By the way, congrats on the most devastating use of the Deepwood Sphere I have ever heard of! That was amazing. You did roll pretty well though, didn't you?
ihatecoldweather's battle report, turn 4 wrote:Shooting: The glade riders shoot at the lone, wounded, mounted mage and kill her. The glade guard and spell singer shoot at the larger Knights of the realm unit. As a result, one knight model perishes. The lord passes his panic test.
The lord wouldn't have needed to take a panic test because the unit destroyed was a single model with less US than 5. Just a minor thing here, but good to remember.

Congrats on the win! A fine game, you really showed that pesky cheating Bretonnian. And a nice battle report too, very clear and the pictures were great.
"If you're gonna dine with them cannibals,
sooner or later darling you're gonna get eaten."
-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

GobbladasSquig wrote: They started their charge outside woods 6" or less from your treemen, so you would have strangle-rooted them with strenght 4. IF you could have. You see, you can't stand-and-shoot if the enemy charges you from within half their charge range. So that was an error from your part.
The knights were not within half charge range as the knights had to move through a forest (in which they move at half rate and they had to use up movement to wheel. ;)
Plus you probably would have been able to stand-and-shoot with the Hail of Doom Arrow. Or you would have probably been able to overrun/pursuit far enough to keep him safe.
:blink: Wait, do you mean if i win the combat? Cause i'm not sure you can stand and shoot while in combat...

Anyway, thanks for the comments. Hopefully, my next report will be better. :P
GobbladasSquig
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GobbladasSquig »

ihatecoldweather wrote:The knights were not within half charge range as the knights had to move through a forest (in which they move at half rate and they had to use up movement to wheel. ;)
I believe that has nothing to do with it. The rules only speak of the charging unit being within half their charge distance, which with bretonnian knights is 8". Of course, you can make a house rule to cover that slight logical dent, but still you would have strangle-rooted with strenght 4.

ihatecoldweather wrote: :blink: Wait, do you mean if i win the combat? Cause i'm not sure you can stand and shoot while in combat...
Umm... You weren't sure if you would win the close combat against a trebuchet crew? On average, you would have killed 3 crew members, and the fourth would have tested on a leadership value of 2. So you really should have been able to beat and break them.
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

The treeman wins combat as the treeman has an additional wound and both units are tied by unit strength. However, the Knights of the Realm pass their break test.
Beaten in combat by a fear causing enemy who has same/higher unit strength = auto break (cf p2 col 1)

Bret turn 2: Your diagram clearly depicts the pegi knights partially in teh woods. Flyers cannot end thier movement in difficult terrain. And, as mentioned, above, the other unit of knights would fail a charge as they have to go into the front.
The dryads overrun into the trebuchet (just to spite my opponent).

Pointless. You are considered to be in combat with it already. If you do not overrun it you can 'spike' it for free anyway at the end of combat.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
GobbladasSquig
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GobbladasSquig »

Yak wrote:Bret turn 2: Your diagram clearly depicts the pegi knights partially in teh woods. Flyers cannot end thier movement in difficult terrain.
I noticed that too. But pegasi knights are skirmishers and have a ground movement value of 8, so it really isn't a problem. Though I faintly recall something about that being errated so that they couldn't move through difficult terrain without penalties...
KidA
Undercover Druchii

Post by KidA »

GobbladasSquig wrote: Though I faintly recall something about that being errated so that they couldn't move through difficult terrain without penalties...
You are correct. This has been quicky errated in ordet to tone them down a bit (brom mega-excellent to just awesome <_< <_< )
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

thanks for the replies. Yeah, i think i made a few mistakes. But i'm not perfect :P

Oh yeah, the bret's could make it because of their normal movement. Notice the top model in the picture is barely in the forest. ;)
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Location: In the dark and mildly active crypt that some people call the Battle Report Section

Post by Dori »

Great report.

I'll delete the individual point costs, if you don't mind.

Dori
Ex Council Member
Check out my tactica's in my topic Dori's Tactica's
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Thanks. ;)

Oh, btw, you made a few mistakes. The wardancer lord costs 265 not 195 and the spell singer costs 187 not 125. I'll fix that though. ^_^

I tried to put in the point costs for the brets. Is what i have correct?
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Location: In the dark and mildly active crypt that some people call the Battle Report Section

Post by Dori »

I blame this blasted computer! :lol:

I'm not sure about the Bret point costs. I don't have access to my Bret book ATM. They seem about right though.

Does the Trebuchet have a yeoman crafstman (I think that's what it is)? I assume so since you have it there for 100 pts.

Dori
Ex Council Member
Check out my tactica's in my topic Dori's Tactica's
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Dori wrote: Does the Trebuchet have a yeoman crafstman (I think that's what it is)? I assume so since you have it there for 100 pts.
Dori
I think it did! :P
a ghost
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE, VC, Stunties, O&G / C:SM

Post by a ghost »

Just got thru the first 2 turns so far. I wanted to compliment you on how much your overall presentation has improved over time. Your reports are becoming some of our most comprehensive & engaging. Keep it up!
"If the Truth can be told, so as to be understood, it WILL be believed..." - Terrence McKenna
The Golden Arrow
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Empire

Post by The Golden Arrow »

All those guestion marks on strange places in the text are annoying and you also did another rules mistake:

When the pegasus knights fled on they would have fled towards the nearest table edge and therefor gone off (if the diagram is right). I'm also not sure if you can choose not to rally.
ouroboris
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ouroboris »

i very much enjoyed the batrep- perfect explanation and presentation IMO. Im not really into narrative batreps personally- unless they are very well written i find they are generally hard to follow. I really like turn by turn breakdown with maps- makes it so easy to follow.

the maps are excellent - with a little more tinkering they would be even better (can u type text inside the boxes or something like that, you know GG for glade guard?)

is there something wrong with your keyboard - why did all your " (inches) turn up as question marks- and your ' as well???

?????""''"'"'"'"?????

:blink:

whatever though- it didnt detract too much from the rep.

YOU CAN DO IT! :D