The place for all discussion of the Asrai in Warhammer: The Old World

Moderator: Council of Elders

Anaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves & High Elves

Tell me about the concept for your army

Post by Anaya »

Do you have a unifying concept or theme for your army (lore-wise, not rules-wise)? I would love to hear about it.

I have been struggling with mine, but today I felt that something clicked into place.

My army is not designed or meticulously planned. It has grown one unit at a time, and is perhaps a little ragtag. There are some archers, various tree folk, wardancers and wild riders, a shadowdancer, a noble on a stag.

I think it leans into a 'wild hunt' theme, with the wild riders and stag, no ranked-up, disciplined troops, but plenty of things that go bump in the night. I feel that my colour sceme accentuates the feral side of them, with lots of brown, red-brown, and bronze.

It's also an eonir army, not asrai. My regular opponents play empire, beastmen, and occasionally dark elves. No Bretonnians. It makes sense, then, to have our narrative campaigns in what used to be Nordland in the Empire (but is now Westerland, I guess), with both the Laurelorn forest and the north coast close by.

Now the eonir are described as culturally different from the asrai, retaining a bit more of the original high elf culture. I found some information about them in the Archives of the Empire sourcebook for the TTRPG.

The eonir are described as having weaker relations with the spirits than the asrai, which bothered me for a while -- but there are also descriptions of them fighting side by side with treemen and dryads. Apparently they can do that, just not as much or as often as the asrai. I can work with that. (Also, the bond is described as having weakened over the years, so it makes sense to assume that they are a little stronger in the old world).

They are also described as having a nastly little class society, with cityborn kindred having full political rights, the forestborn kindred being kind of second-class citizens, and. the younger kindred even less than that. Not everyone are happy with this arrangement. Some are probably bound to vent their frustrations somewhere.

I am starting to see a role for my army now.

My stag lord is probably a disgruntled forestborn clan leader, ambitious and powerful, but locked out of high society. His army is basically the wood elf version of a biker gang, a ragtag group of misfits and malcontents roaming the outskirts of Laurelorn (which brings them into contact with non-elves), stirring up trouble. A little like Fionn McCool and the Fianna. A little like the Wild Hunt.
Dracos
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Asrai, Chaos

Re: Tell me about the concept for your army

Post by Dracos »

I like to focus my game plan on the use of the glade and wild riders with scouts and maybe two units of glade guard as support. I have a Genghis Khan mentality of fire and flee settling up charges for the wild riders.
The People of the Elven Nations are not to be compared to the filthy Hordes of lesser beings.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

If I read your question only I’d answer: why limit yourself by already existing lore, why dont you make your own lore and use that exsisting lore just as a guideance not as a rule. But then you wrote about your “biker gang” wood elves and I think its awesome. Go for it and dont burden yourself with what lore dictates.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Post by MortenLarsen »

I "never" take a tree as my general and my armies are never tree heavy. I feel more elf than tree. But I always try to find room for a Treeman, which is going to be easy with so few rare choices and the sever downgrade of Waywatchers...

I really like the lore around Warhawk Riders, but then again, I also like to win a battle once in a while and throughout the years, Warhawk Riders have gone from garbage, to useful, to must include, and now to a maybe, so I'm not sure how much I will be using them. Luckily, they are back as character mounts, which is HUGE!

Kurnosh private army and the tricksters of Loec are always included in my armies. They do the main lifting and I just really like them. 7-8 Wardancers have been a standard for me for years.
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

OvertninjaX
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by OvertninjaX »

I have my wild riders (the old metal hair metal guys) on wolves, and my glade riders will eventually be on wolves too once they get a reprint. I've got my counts-as great stag hero on a big wolf, and I'll eventually sculpt up a ghosty wolf as a counts-as unicorn for my caster. the sisters of the thorn are on deer though - seemed appropriate and they are really nice models anyway. I've put a bunch of wolf cloaks on various models in my collection, especially champions, and scratch-built a caster with a wolf skin over them for theme.

someone suggested that I make sure any giant birds I use are painted as ravens, as packs of wolves and ravens cooperate with each other when hunting and scavenging, and I think that's a great idea! I used to have the great weapon hero riding an eagle in 8e, it punched above its weight class frequently and I'd like to bring them back. I'm keen to run a bunch of wardancers, it might be cool to make them raven-themed, especially the shadowdancer. if I can get ahold of the three special metal models that are doing the signature dances (mostly by pole vaulting, I guess), so much the better, since I could put some birds around them for effect.

I guess my wood elf theme is 'a bunch of dogs and birds', but I do like dryads and branch wraiths generally, and tree men seem a steal this edition so they'll be in the bigger armies. I'm sure I could put a bunch of birds in his tree-hair and make it look neat. I also have like 20 waywatchers, I'm hoping they get a bit of a shine-up once we get a proper army book since they are harder to fit, but they're one of the reasons I started playing WE in the first place so I'm not leaving them to collect dust at home. worst comes to worst, I'll use them as scouts.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

OvertninjaX wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 14:01 [everything]
<3
Yuri's little corner
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

OvertninjaX wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 14:01 I have my wild riders (the old metal hair metal guys) on wolves, and my glade riders will eventually be on wolves too once they get a reprint. I've got my counts-as great stag hero on a big wolf, and I'll eventually sculpt up a ghosty wolf as a counts-as unicorn for my caster. the sisters of the thorn are on deer though - seemed appropriate and they are really nice models anyway. I've put a bunch of wolf cloaks on various models in my collection, especially champions, and scratch-built a caster with a wolf skin over them for theme.

someone suggested that I make sure any giant birds I use are painted as ravens, as packs of wolves and ravens cooperate with each other when hunting and scavenging, and I think that's a great idea! I used to have the great weapon hero riding an eagle in 8e, it punched above its weight class frequently and I'd like to bring them back. I'm keen to run a bunch of wardancers, it might be cool to make them raven-themed, especially the shadowdancer. if I can get ahold of the three special metal models that are doing the signature dances (mostly by pole vaulting, I guess), so much the better, since I could put some birds around them for effect.

I guess my wood elf theme is 'a bunch of dogs and birds', but I do like dryads and branch wraiths generally, and tree men seem a steal this edition so they'll be in the bigger armies. I'm sure I could put a bunch of birds in his tree-hair and make it look neat. I also have like 20 waywatchers, I'm hoping they get a bit of a shine-up once we get a proper army book since they are harder to fit, but they're one of the reasons I started playing WE in the first place so I'm not leaving them to collect dust at home. worst comes to worst, I'll use them as scouts.
Sounds awesome. Some kind of viking theme?

Character list

OvertninjaX
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by OvertninjaX »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I suppose unintentionally? I just thought it would be cool to have wolves instead of horses, because everyone knows the mounts do more work than the riders almost ever time, and while an angry horse is rather scary, I wanted something even more bitey ;p

as for the corvids, I just like them, they're neat animals and easy to paint!
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

OvertninjaX wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 01:06
[/quote]

I suppose unintentionally? I just thought it would be cool to have wolves instead of horses, because everyone knows the mounts do more work than the riders almost ever time, and while an angry horse is rather scary, I wanted something even more bitey ;p

as for the corvids, I just like them, they're neat animals and easy to paint!
[/quote]

Before we got spites, and maybe still, I hoped we would get different beast. Ravens and wolves would have been nice

Character list

Anaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Anaya »

Raven army sounds great! I would love to see some pictures.
OvertninjaX
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by OvertninjaX »

Anaya wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 14:32 Raven army sounds great! I would love to see some pictures.
I am the slowest and worst painter, but I'll try and take some pictures of the guys I have sculpted up so you folks can see. I am ashamed to say that my collection has basically been base coated for two decades and I've not painted them properly, largely because I want to do a good job and I am not a good mini painter, and it mortifies me to do a poor job and then have to spend the time stripping the paint and trying again. a feeble excuse at best, but there it is. ;p
Wolfen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wolfen »

OvertninjaX wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 14:01 I have my wild riders (the old metal hair metal guys) on wolves, and my glade riders will eventually be on wolves too once they get a reprint. I've got my counts-as great stag hero on a big wolf, and I'll eventually sculpt up a ghosty wolf as a counts-as unicorn for my caster. the sisters of the thorn are on deer though - seemed appropriate and they are really nice models anyway. I've put a bunch of wolf cloaks on various models in my collection, especially champions, and scratch-built a caster with a wolf skin over them for theme.

Going for a similar theme, Of Wolves and Ravens, with a wintery feel. Will be using the new Krethusa mini from AoS as a level 4 spellsinger on warhawk or eagle. Fluff wise she'll be an avatar of Morai-Heg, similar to how Ariel is an avatar of Isha. Since Isha, Lileath and Morai-Heg form a trio in the elven pantheon I want to play into that a bit.
I've got some of the older 5th edition waywatcher models that I'm going to run as scouts. They have leaf cloaks which could feasibly pass as feather cloaks so I'll paint them as raven feathers to tie them into the theme.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

Nice to see wolf/raven theme to be popular (and me praising the theme has nothing to do with the fact thats what I have a theme for my elfos, nope, nada)

Anyway, I have as well picked up Cretinusa’s Covidhost and will use her as a my druidess (type 0- vibes). My last project that I wanted to make before the warhammer ceased to exist, was to build a druid/wizard HEAVILY influenced by the outfit of the Evil Queen portraited by Charlize Theron. Movie was mediocre at best but the costume design was extraordinary. Great inspiration!

Also, dont forget to look upon Corvus Cabal. Although, i found those models to lack that elven grace. What I really didn’t like about them is they are kind of snap-to-fit models which gives a challenge when you start to cut them.

Last thing are the wolves. I am using old Confrontation wolfen as my treekin, but here I wanna talk more about wolf mounts. So far, I havent bought wolves from GW because I found them not fitting for wild rider models. At least what was available at that time which was fenrisian wolves and thunderwolves, and goblin wolves. Nowdays I saw theres some new wolf riders available in AoS and I’d to ask if someone knows, do they fit better?
Yuri's little corner
OvertninjaX
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by OvertninjaX »

Yuri wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 18:28 Last thing are the wolves. I am using old Confrontation wolfen as my treekin, but here I wanna talk more about wolf mounts. So far, I havent bought wolves from GW because I found them not fitting for wild rider models. At least what was available at that time which was fenrisian wolves and thunderwolves, and goblin wolves. Nowdays I saw theres some new wolf riders available in AoS and I’d to ask if someone knows, do they fit better?
Since I am using the old metal wild riders, they fit quite nicely on fenrisian wolves, without the need for any additional cutting or posing. I bought a set of Thunderwolf cavalry to use as demigriff stand-ins before the WE range was removed from Cities of Sigmar, so I'm using one as my elk rider and another will get converted into a counts-as unicorn. both the old wild rider legs and the new wild rider legs fit onto them without any fuss, though I did do a bunch of conversions to make them more visually pleasant with the roughly 10,000 mixed Sylvaneth and WE bits I have in bags. the Kurnoth Hunter kits provided a wealth of excellent conversion bits - I'm using the spare shoulder pads as thigh armor and saddle embellishments, amongst other things.

I am also eyeing the goblin wolf rider kits for conversion purposes, I really love the tack and harness they have and they match well with the other GW wolf models available (and, even more pleasingly, they actually look like wolves). I'm also hoping that the eventual re-release of Orion will come with some proper doggos instead of... whatever those things purport to be. I swear, the folks they had sculpting animals for GW back in the day had never even once been to a zoo or watched a nature documentary or anything - I can't tell if it was an intentional design decision or just not knowing how to make an animal look remotely like an animal. :s
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

OvertninjaX wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 01:18 the Kurnoth Hunter kits provided a wealth of excellent conversion bits - I'm using the spare shoulder pads as thigh armor and saddle embellishments
Now this is a worthy information! Thanks!
I’m gonna start the journey through reinvigorating my army so I’ll try to follow it and share it here. Soon. At least thats the plan.
Yuri's little corner
Zeb
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zeb »

Imagining coming back here after almost 15 years of absence, and what a tread to comeback to =)

My theme has always been scouts heavy, preferably with Waywatchers, however with the different model companies available to us I am thinking of getting back to the game with an old idea I could never really work out before.

The Waterfall Palace; if I remember correctly there was a book about the wood elfs where the character stayed with the niads of the court for a while. Therefore I think I will try and get niads via a third party printing service and use them with dryad rules. While still trying to keep it more of a place guard too, therefore including rangers and eternal guard which I rarely used before.
Last edited by Zeb on 06 Apr 2024, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Anaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Anaya »

Waterfall! I want to make a waterfall terrain piece, but I don't know how.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Use styrofoam, and cut it with hot wire, then apply glue and water effect resin.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
hlee114
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by hlee114 »

Hello,
I am currently building a Lustrian jungle chameleon skink army using the wood elf rules.

My plan is to have a Slann that meditated so long that a tree grew on him, counting as a Lv 4 Ancient Treeman with elementalism. It is like Buddha seeking enlightenment under a tree that cast fist to ungraceful trespassers.

He is surrounded by chameleon skink priest who rides tiny terradons (warhawk) and uses illusion magic (which I find quite fitting.)

For the core, I use old skink models with bows to represent glade guard. I am planning to convert the old skink into chameleon younglings, too inexperience to venture the jungle as skirmishers.

For the scouts, warcry chameleon skink models, they look really cool.

Wardancers will be completely converted from many different bits (genestealer legs, saurus weapons, slyvaneth limbs.) I call them Lustrian Dancers (very unique I know) and they are Chameleons born with three horns on their heads.

Treekins are going to be plain old jungle swarms. My headcannon is that they are controlled by the Slann himself. If I ever add a dryads in my army, it will be individual jungle swarms glued to a smaller base. If I ever add a treeman, it will be a tsunami of jungle swarms emerging from the jungle.

It is all speculation right now, I only have few models. It is good to be back. I used to play Lizardmen and I still love them, but I wanna try something different this time.
Anaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Anaya »

Amazing!
Prince Faolan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Prince Faolan »

With the return of TOW, im finally collecting the army i've wanted for half my life, since i first saw the Asrai as an 11 year old kid. im probably a lot younger than most people here, so this army is special to me. Its the army i've wanted for as long as i've known warhammer was a thing. So its gonna be a real investment of time and effort for me, every model a conversion, and every regiment a part of the Armys story. were going heavy on the narrative here lads

one of my mates following me into TOW for the first time, is playing dwarfs, and naturally this insult couldn't stand. As a result, my army is a rocky border glade of Wydrioth, upon the pine covered foothills and cliffs of the Grey Mountains, his is a recently established Karak, of dwarfs driven from Karak Eight Peaks, venturing wet to resettle in the Mountainous forts their ancestors built during the War of the beard. Both sides consider their current war to be a continuation of the War of the Beard, for old scores are not yet settled amongst their nobility.

The army is heavily themed around this idea of not letting go of the past, especially the war of the beard, for example my Eternal Guard will be converted from Druchii Spearmen, to represent the Nobility wearing the ancestral arms and armour their Asur kin once did to fight against the dwarfs. each one a family relic passed down across generations, and repaired with what little bronze metal can be mined or pulled from the foothills. while Silver ithilmar is rare and precious, and marks Glade Royalty, or their chosen personal retinues, the way Valyrian Steel is a mark of wealth and prestige in ASOIAF.
Attachments
Wood_elf_lore-1.png