Deepwood Scouts vs. Waywatchers

The place for all discussion of the Asrai in Warhammer: The Old World

Moderator: Council of Elders

MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Deepwood Scouts vs. Waywatchers

Post by MortenLarsen »

The fact that Waywatchers can only be taken if you include a Waystalker is a serious meh… The Waystalker is an okay character, but it makes even a small unit of 5 Waywatchers cost a premium of at least 165 pts! The real benefit is the ability to Ambush. The Waywatchers have lost a lot of what made them a unique unit in former editions. I miss the traps from 5th. ed.

The Waystalker only has 2A, so I’m not seeing him with the Bow of Loren but the reroll from Asyendi’s Bane at just 10 pts. would be a good choice – we can only hope see more bows in the Arcane Journal when that is released. Asyendi’s low price also allows for a Railarian’s Mantle at 35 pts. Alternatively a Potion of Strength could make for a kill on a character. It’s sad to see no ranged magical weapons among the common magical items. A Muster of Malevolents could be an option as well although we now have a character prized at nearly 190 pts. That’s a lot to have a unit of Waywatchers the army.

Waywatchers have +1BS and +1I for 3 pts. Which is okay, I think. The real bonus is the ability to Ambush for an additional point. This is where the Waywatchers can shine through! Five Waywatchers with Swiftshiver shards and a Waystalker sneaking in from behind, should prove quite disruptive.

If you do not plan to use Ambush, you might as well go with Scouts. Also, with a Treeman at 215 pts. to bolster core strength or three Great Eagles at 180 pts. that could be used in much the same way as Waywatchers, they do seem like a tougher sale than in previous editions.
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

Ikbuh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Deepwood Scouts vs. Waywatchers

Post by Ikbuh »

While I agree that the stalker is less than ideal, especially when you factor in look out sir, I don't think it's terrible. The very presence of one forces your opponent to keep lone characters hidden or in groups, and they can also pick out cavalry heros easily because you need 5 other models to claim LoS, and even then a single failed LoS will put the fear of god into that character. Mages are particularly vulnerable. For loadout, I think Loren is wasted on one because 40pts for a second shot is kind of weak, instead spend that 40pts on Malevolents to get an extra d3 hits you try and push an extra wound through. If you have points, a str potion isn't the worst, but I do like Asyendi as you said. I think the Wailing Arrow is also a fantastic choice here. Regardless, I give 'em Swiftshiver Shards because you're forcing dice rolls and mages don't have armor anyway.

As for Waywatchers, they are worth their points, even with the "tax" of the stalker, in addition to the BS5 (6 on leader), they also get Feigned Flight and Ignore Cover over scouts as well, which means they hit on 4s at long range with swiftshiver shards while moving. Scouts have to take trueflight arrows to match, which I think they should anyway. I had both in my game, and I didn't regret taking either of them.
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

The Malevolents and Wailing arrows are great choices and I'm really hoping they fair better than give them credit. They you use them with Ambush?

Character list

Ikbuh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ikbuh »

Ambush is pretty terrible ifor them mo. They only come on 4+ starting on T2. Maybe if they didn't have scout with 32" weapons, ambush would have more appeal to me.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Agree that Ambush is bad. Scout is a better deployment option, but overall I think Waywatchers are a poor choice given the waystalker ‘tax’. Scouts are gonna do most of the same job for a much lower price.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by MortenLarsen »

Got to say the more I think about Ambush the more it does seem less great than I first thought. Plain Scouts with 32" range should do the trick plus a couple of Eagles for hunting

Character list

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I have a feeling Waystalkers will become more useable once our Arcane Journalcomes out, and they have a better selection of magic items to choose from. Right now I'm not sold on whether Waywatchers justify taking the Waystalker needed. As noted, Ambush isn't great so on balance I think Scouts offer better value (especially as you can get at least one unit as Core instead of Special)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Ikbuh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ikbuh »

I think a Ruby Ring stalker is cash money. I didn't play it saying that all the hits went into a character and probably won't in friendly games. Honestly, just having a scouting fireball is great, and then the two extra shots is just icing even with look out sir.

With that in mind, I am now rocking a unit of way watchers with swiftshiver, and two units of scouts with trueflight. It's a matter of why not both now lol