Re: Etheneus plog *20170330 Great stags/elks w. riders

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

Hi all. I've been collecting WE for little more than 3 years now and have built an army around 6000 points with about 5k of that painted. I have recently become so secure in my painting that I started to repaint some of the first GG I made but most of my old stuff stink.
I've just started to convert things and love the creativity in building and painting (don't much care for basing) and decided to get some more points of view on my things.

First of its my first (of five planned) forest. This one represent the venom thicket. Will soon make the fear causing one (Abyssal??)
Hope this work. First pictures I try to upload.

The hanging moss is actually real hanging moss. I will add some critters from the treeman I haven't painted yet but first I will finish my unicorn.
Last edited by Etheneus on 30 Mar 2017, 13:15, edited 9 times in total.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus army plog

Post by Etheneus »

My eagle didn't think it was good enough to sit with a stick in the belly and so decided to fall off it. Solution? Put it on a rock with green stuff. It's hard to paint the green stuff to look like the real rock, cover most of the stone in moss.
Result:
A work in progress
A work in progress
20150329_173646.jpg
20150329_173701.jpg
The first one is a WIP picture but the others are finished.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Well Etheneus, I live in south Louisiana and I have actually seen your forest up close and in person. Louisiana swamps at twilight or at dawn when the mist is rising look pretty much just like that.... without the rocky ground of course. Good job on the "Spanish moss" hanging in the trees. (Google "Louisiana cypress swamp fog" and see what you get.)
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Wow. That is the look I was looking for. I have in mind to make a new base and give this one to one of the other. I was in a hurry for a tournament when I did this one.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Got started with my unicorn yesterday. I used the pegasus from Brets, cut off the wings, mane and bridle. I made a horn from a paperclip and green stuff and also a new name. Used the liquid kind to fill the holes where the wings should have been. Also made a tree stump out of the leftover green stuff.
Today I got working with a file and fixed another layer on the horn to make it stronger. This is the result. Mind you that the mane on the forehead is missing
20150421_201633.jpg
20150421_201614.jpg
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Finally back from the "exercise season" (I'm in the Swedish army) Now I have had the time to complete my unicorn (not the base obviously)
So here you go, one unicorn:
20150525_070858.jpg
20150525_070907.jpg
As a sidenote: I don't like painting white.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Etheneus plog *150604 Treeman ancient

Post by Etheneus »

My treeman ancient is finally finished. Been busy painting some of my new Bretonnia men@arms after since the unicorn was done.

Well. Enjoy and feel free to criticise as long as it is constructive.
Side
Side
Front
Front
Back
Back
I have two themes in my army. Anmyr (the witherhold) and Talsyn. This ancient will be the general for the Talsyn troops that have come to reinforce the hard struggling elves of Anmyr. Will soon start painting my forest dragon and convert a lord for that, will be Anmyr themed.
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: The Empire, O&G, High Elves, Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Re: Etheneus plog *150604 Treeman ancient

Post by White Fang »

Nice job! I love how you blended the brown to green on him! Bravo!
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus plog *150604 Treeman ancient

Post by Etheneus »

Time for some riders. The WR were painted long time ago but the SoTT steed is new. The quality of the photos are from my mobile so don't judge me on that please.
SoTT
SoTT
WR
WR
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus plog *17 Dec 2015

Post by Etheneus »

Well, let's start with the usual. It's been a long time since i posted anything but I thought i might give it a go again. I'm not a fan of AoS, primary because it's not the massed, ranked battles I wanted to play with. Not a bad game, the rules are simple and I don't really care that much that they changed the fluff so much, sure I understand people that do but I can make my own stuff up and the AoS world is even more open to that than the old world. Well, I could discuss this more but let's show some new models instead.

I'm all over the 9th age now although some of my friends aren't. I have a game today and so far my Sylvan elves have won all of the 2500pts battles we have played against my friends Warriors of the Dark Gods, not that lucky with my Kingdom of Equitane (brets) or in smaller battles (1000-1500pts) Most importantly my general, an Avatar of Nature (think Durthu but no magic) have killed his general, a lord on Manticore that he loves to bring (even in 8th) in our three games with this many points. (mind you that these three games are the only ones I count because they have been after the TAC/since our army book was released.) For the rematch today I wanted to try something new: An all tree list!
Here is the list:

Treefather Ancient, lv4 path of Nature (life), with oaken crown (allows me to field dryads and thicket beast (tree kin) with command options including musician and standard)
Treefather Ancient, Avatar of nature, with Entwined roots (allows me to boost the strength (+1) of one unit of dryads or thicket beasts.)

Dryad Matriarch, lv2 path of wilderness (beast) with Fertile seeds (give Nature attribute the ability to raise wound instead of only recover them)
Thicket Shepherd BSB (that's right, a tree kin BSB) with Entangling vines (enemy re-roll successful to hit in a challenge)

11 Dryads, champ, skirmish
20 Dryads, mus, std
10 Sylvan archers, mus, with black arrows (S4 on short range, AP on long)
10 Sylvan archers, mus, with black arrows

5 Thicket beast, champ, mus
5 Wild huntsmen, std
5 Wild huntsmen, std

Treefather

Yesterday and this morning I have spent a few hours putting together 8 dryads I won on an auction, one got a horn to blow and the other a standard made from a few branches from a treeman and the leafs from a citadel forest. Not painted yet but here you have the WIP pictures:
Dryad standard
Dryad standard

For the BSB I used the "horns"/branches of a treemans head and the loin cloth of same model and a spite from glade guards or glade riders I think.
Side
Side
Front
Front
Will have to get hold of another set of tree kin to make it complete but I made the standard for BSB first thinking it would fit the dryad: It proved way to big and clumsy for the dryad so tried it with one of my kins and it fitted nicely I think. The dryad standard is not what I want it to be. Will have to do something else for it so that it fits better. No picture of the finished dryad yet, the game is in 30 minutes and I have to get ready. Will return when it's done and probably with a battle rep.
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Etheneus plog *150608 Riders

Post by Aemir_II »

Nice Standard Bearer!
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus plog *160423 Great stags conversion

Post by Etheneus »

Long time no seen.

I have been continuing on my Kingdom of Equitaine knights (Bretonnia) for most part and a new forest (Abyssal wood) but took some time now with the new 9th rules to convert two Great stags from the wild rider kit. I always wanted to do this but thought that they were to skinny to work, but someone on this forum used some kind of green stuff to make his bigger so I've been practicing and started to make one for a BSB and one for a normal hero/lord.

This is my work in progress:
20160423_163545.jpg
20160423_163605.jpg
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus plog *160423 Great stags conversion

Post by Etheneus »

Well in honour of the new site (or its location to be more correct) I will post my latest painting. I always have a few projects going at the same time, great stag conversion, an Avatar of nature, questing knight conversions and so on. This project started a long time ago. I made the Venom thicket early on and was about to make a Abyssal forest for my wild wood rangers in 8th but with ET and all I didn't come around to it but had the forest and spirit swarm from VC.
Now finally on the way. The base is done but the trees will have to wait. First tree is a test and I like it so far. VX88 and darkenhof make it look almost rotten. Tried old catlan brown on it on the base but want to try something more grey to get the feel of a dead forest.
Tips are welcome for how to paint the ghosts.
20160507_204351.jpg
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Etheneus plog *160507 Abyssal forest

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Spooky!

:)
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus plog *160507 Abyssal forest

Post by Etheneus »

So, I won the painting and modeling competition with my Abyssal forest. Thank you. For me the competition, although fun, showed how few are still around. I will continue to put my modeling and painting here and hope the merge with the other elven sites will make a change to that.
For you who didn't see the forest in the competition, and for consistency, here it is again:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo21 ... 2ivvxw.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo21 ... wqufla.jpg
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus plog *20161121 Avatar of Nature or Durthu

Post by Etheneus »

So, Ygritte reminded me, by posting her beautiful treeman that I haven't posted my Avatar of Nature (9th age treeman ancient with better combat stats (A6 S7!))
I used my Anmyr theme on it so brown and red with a bit of "sickly" or dark green. First I used dryad bark as on my other ancient but now gave him a green wash, coelia, it became a really dark grey so I kept it and made it more get but with bits of brown and red. It turned out great! Judge for yourself.

[img]
[/img]

[img]
With the other ancient
With the other ancient
[/img]
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus plog *20170324 Great stags/elks

Post by Etheneus »

So, after a long break from the army (got tired of it after the Avatar/Durthu when it came to painting) I have finally decided to start again.

Long time ago someone posted a wild hunter deer that he/she had made into a great stag with alot of extra muscle and overall a lot bigger by adding green stuff. Thought I would try the same but since my sculpting skills are just above zero I didn't add much and you only see a difference when comparing with a regular deer.

Riders (BSB and regular hero) will be done in a week or so I hope, depends on my 1 year old sons mood.

Great stags or Great Elks
Great stags or Great Elks
WIP of BSB
WIP of BSB
WIP of Hero
WIP of Hero
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

One rider done. The other will have to wait till after the weekend. Pained in my green theme with a muscle armor.
20170330_141403.jpg
He has wild rider champ body but not legs so didn't really fit on the stag. He has spear from the flying high elves chariot hero (cut off the trident blades) Wildwood ranger head and green knight shield.
20170330_141423.jpg