Any more Asrai left in these woods?

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Re: Any more Asrai left in these woods?

Post by Ramesesis »

Feels as if we are truly fading...
Had GW given the AoS crowd something more than the WFB Battletomes, like releasing a proper list the AoS elves, we may have seen more life.

9th may kick in after a while, but maybe the tournament focus scare some. I do not know.

I just wanna be in Athel Loren :tear:
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Post by Niedfaru »

I do hope 9th Age is not perceived as a game for tournaments only. Yes, it's written as a ruleset that works for tournaments in a way that AoS doesn't, but from where I sit, it's great for casual gamers too. If the various Rules' committees succeed it balancing things out the way they want, anyone will be able yo build a list with the models they like, rather than what's competitive. That will do wonders for my inclination to actually play the game.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

Problem is convincing my mate that is the case. Too much change from the 8th ed may scare some grognards too. And my two opponents are truly grognards. :(

What is most annoying is that I will have to sit down with both my 8th ed book so I get all the sweet fluff and remember that this IS the Old World while 9th Age is forced to change everything because of copyrights etc. It is probably my autism that disturbs me, but it will annoy the hell out of me in the long run. So I feel it is easier to stay with 8th ed.

I just want the old World lore to be what drive our games, otherwise it just feel... soulless. Just like Another strategy game.

It is not a critique of 9th, the teams are making a tremendous job. It is just that there is only one living background for me and that is the Old World and to make me really get into the game the opponent must share the same background as I do. If not it is just another game among others.

Hence, I really would like a simple rules update of 9th that I could virtually put in my Wood elf book, just stats and tweaks, no new names or such that would destroy my illusions. I do not want any new fluff, just tweaks based directly on the game as is.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Niedfaru wrote:I do hope 9th Age is not perceived as a game for tournaments only. Yes, it's written as a ruleset that works for tournaments in a way that AoS doesn't, but from where I sit, it's great for casual gamers too. If the various Rules' committees succeed it balancing things out the way they want, anyone will be able yo build a list with the models they like, rather than what's competitive. That will do wonders for my inclination to actually play the game.
This.

I was afraid 9th Age would make every game like the ETC finals but from reading the rules and playing a game, this doesn't seem to be the case. Yes, it's a little more complex but not a lot. I agree about the books though, both from the background angle and simply ease of reference. It's a pain to flick through on computer mid-game and currently not worth printing out because of the regular changes. Hopefully soon we will see rules that are fixed for a year or two.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Phil Rossiter wrote: Hopefully soon we will see rules that are fixed for a year or two.
YES PLEASE! (He yelled enthusiastically.) It's time to leave them alone and play with them for awhile. All the changes are making me gunshy. I have a hard enough time coming to grips with rules that just sit there and are not moving targets. <.<

I wish they would leave them alone for about a year so we could give them a really good shake-down before going in and doing more changes. Pile them up and then unleash them all at the same time. Or even better, list proposed changes in the appropriate sections and mark them as "pending" to a certain date. Then people can have a chance to comment on them before they show up in canon.

Jus sayin.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Niedfaru »

Thing to remember is, the game isn't finished yet. Currently the rules are in beta development. Edition 1.0 is set for release in a couple of days. Once that hits, the game should be much stabler.

With regard to fluff - maybe I'm biased, since I'm on the team writing the new stuff, but I relish the opportunity to write a world the takes the feel of the Old World and upgrades it to something that makes a little more sense - GW always did bail out early on the details. If people want to play with the old fluff, they're welcome to do so, but we're going to do our level best to provide a product worthy of standing on its own two feet.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

I shall endeavor to persevere.

Really, I get it. It's just frustrating waiting on the real deal. However - it's vastly better than waiting 6 to 10 years for GW to get out a new army book. (Or fix the ones they already had.)
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Good luck to whoever is writing the new fluff. Please don't change the wood-elves from 'best hunters on the planet' to vegan hippies.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Niedfaru »

Haha, no no, as a vegetarian hippy myself, I have no wish or intention for the WE to become like me, and nor do the rest of the team. There is a definite drive to keep the feel of the factions similar to the old fluff, without using the same details.
Aben Zin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aben Zin »

I'm still around, but don't tend to get many games in at the mo, so not exactly posting up a storm. Still playing 8th (stubborn like that). I've looked at the 9th Age rules and it seems pretty solid. My main gripe is that Glade getting replaced with Grove... It's not a bad match, but to my ear it sounds to much like Groove. Groove guard! Conjurers a completely different mental image...
Peter of Loren
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Peter of Loren »

I'm still around. I check the forum a lot, but as I don't play many games, I don't have much to say. My main interest, warhammer-wise, has been fluff over the last year or so. That's why I hated the AoS so much. It's not the rules- I've played a couple of games with them, and they're really not that bad.

As for groove guard, I would gladly play with them. Except that "Groovy" kind of gets us back to the hippies vibe...
"In the war against ignorance and stupidity, you sometimes have to fight fire with fire."
~ Wardancer ~
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf , Orc&Golbin , Vampire Counts , Dark Elves

Post by ~ Wardancer ~ »

Gotta say I still play quite often. Our group consists of 7 individuals and we're still playing 4 to 6 games a month with each. I doubt we'll ever inject new blood into the game. But right now we're all stable so For the moment I certainly can't complain. We've tried AOS........... just not doing it for us. Not really going to go into why. Following 9th. We'll give it a little more time to see how it grows and evolves. Just remember the game is not dead........... Good games never die :nod:
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

Well the game is well and truly dead in my area. No one plays fantasy at all anymore and people barely play age of sigmar, not that I want to play it anyway.

With the website going down in a few months I really feel like this is goodbye to all of you. The game was fantastic while it lasted and wood elves will always have a place on my shelf and in my heart, being the first army I ever played. I feel like I will only ever have a few more games of fantasy ever probably with my best mate and that's it. It is pretty disheartening.

I hope you find what you are all looking for whether it be 9th, kings of war or age of sigmar. Thank you to Asrai for providing a home for my hobby. I may post a little bit more on this site but if I don't then best of luck to all of you and may your aim always be true. I will miss you guys
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Come and play BloodBowl, it's not as easy as it looks, bring your Wood Elves too as they are also the best team :D nearly 1000 coaches at the World Cup this year and thriving communities all over.

Check some of these sites out...

The NAF http://member.thenaf.net

Talk Fantasy Football http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/index.php

FUMBBL https://fumbbl.com/

frogboy :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Sweet. Combine all three races into : ElfWargaming.com?
Can't too hard to give the different games and races they're own discussion boards? AoS, 9th, 8th, Kow, etc.
If it is done correctly, we might just keep this community afloat!
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Tuladin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Bretonnians, Orcs, Dwarves

Post by Tuladin »

I like the idea. I've been lurking there for years anyway. Both have some really incredible artists.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I'm all for a merge at this stage there is nothing else for it, it's either merge or die, and like others I have lurked on these other boards for a while, they are good forums with good MODs, it's just up to this community to make a home there :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

Elfwarmastery.com sounds better! Raimie does not game!