Advice needed for kitbashing Wood elves.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Advice needed for kitbashing Wood elves.

Post by the_red_Dane »

I am looking to start on my Wood elves very soon, having ordered both some GG and EG, half the EG are going to get kitbashed into Waywatchers, so a few questions:

1. What are some good bows for Waywatchers? Which kits have the best/most elven looking bows?

2. Any one know whether the high elf Shadow warriors/Sisters of Avalorn can be good for kitbashing waywatchers/Wood elves as well? The high "scarfs" and such seems like they could fit well, does a Wildwood Ranger hooded head fit into the model?

3. Dark Eldar wyches kitbashed for Wardancers? I have quite a bit of Dark Eldar lying around, I particular intend to use some of their heads.
Peter of Loren
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Advice needed for kitbashing Wood elves.

Post by Peter of Loren »

1. The Sisters of Avelorn have some nice looking magical bows.

2. A lot of people (myself included) have kitbashed shadow warriors/sisters with the Glade Guard/scouts models to make some pretty good looking waywatchers. Never seen anyone try to do it with Eternal guard though. You should post them if they turn out well.
"In the war against ignorance and stupidity, you sometimes have to fight fire with fire."
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

Shadow warrior box seems to be quite popular for way watcher conversions, especially with wild wood ranger heads. I have one unit waiting to be finished. The hooded head isn't easy to fit and you need to cut off huge part of the hood from the backside.

Hawkoon posted some pictures on his blog.
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... 25#p350715

I have seen that somebody made his wardancers mostly from wytch parts. The poses are perfect for wardancers.
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Peter of Loren wrote:1. The Sisters of Avelorn have some nice looking magical bows.

2. A lot of people (myself included) have kitbashed shadow warriors/sisters with the Glade Guard/scouts models to make some pretty good looking waywatchers. Never seen anyone try to do it with Eternal guard though. You should post them if they turn out well.

I'm not sure if I like the magical bows, they look awesome, but I'm just not sure if they're a good fit for my waywatchers. But good to know that they fit together. I was originally inspired by this: http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... 23f04f.jpg for my Waywatchers.

From this progress thread: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... oods-today
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

The glade-guard kit comes with several extra bows. It looks like they are what the warseer blogger used for their bows. :thumbsup:
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Awesome, good to know.

I'm just "worried" that using Shadow Warriors as bodies will look too "metalled" I like my Wood elves with very little metal armor.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Maybe you can flatten the scale-mail patterns with green-stuff and then paint the metal like cloth?
AoS is the greatest!
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

That's a good suggestion, I'm not very proficient with greenstuff though, it's something I'll need to train. Though I assume it's not hard to cover up chainmail/scalemail and make it smooth.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Exactly. You could even do it by laying on the paint really thick.
AoS is the greatest!
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

I'd constantly be screaming "Thin your paints!" at myself if I did that. :P
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

You can also use pva glue to flatten the chainmail areas. Just apply the glue with brush and flatten it down with a wet brush. Should be quite easy to so but the end result might not be as good as with green stuff.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

don't bother flattening them, paint them green instead, as leather can be painted all sorts of colour, who says it's got to be scale mail anyway?? paint the odd scale in a lighter or darker shade and it'll break the colour up. :nod:
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446