WFB Tournament 7/25

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

WFB Tournament 7/25

Post by Billthesurly »

I attended a WFB tournament in Beaumont, Texas last weekend. It was a small local tourney but we got eight players to show up and pushed some plastic (and pewter/lead).

The armies were 2500 pts each. Special Characters were allowed but under the "Highlander Rules". (There can be only one!) Special characters can be chosen but if two lists name the same character then only the first submitted list gets to use it. (The Skaven player announced beforehand that he was NOT going to use "Dreaded 13". He also brought ONE A-bomb and ONE warp lightning cannon. Good man!) We also gave character models a "look out sir" roll against mass death spells such as dwellers and such. Terrain was pre-placed and pretty thin. It was not "book" terrain.

The three rounds had special conditions;
Round one - Texas Tea. Each side had a barrel of oil in it's possession and had to keep it and try to get the other barrel away from the other side. It had to be held by a core unit and handled carefully because it was possible to drop it. (and it might blow up!)
Round two - Red Ants! Two 3" templates of red ant swarms moving randomly around the table. If they passed over a model it had to take a dangerous terrain test. This was funny as heck to watch armies twisting themselves into pretzels trying to stay out of the way of the roving killer ants!
Round three - War of Attrition! Points were given for keeping your general alive and killing off the enemy general. Characters were also worth extra battle points as well.
I like special scenario battles because they tend to keep things fresh. We had fun with this lot.

There were 8 armies - Wood Elves, Empire, Ogre Kingdoms, Skaven, High Elves and THREE Dwarves. Cheese was kept to a minimum by mutual, unspoken agreement.

Armies clashed, dice rolled, beer, soda and junk food was consumed and a good time was had by all. I won't go into detail but I (with my all-mounted WE army) came in 4th - and I'm good with that. For me, a tournament is not all about winning the thing. It's about going out and hanging with a bunch of like minded individuals and having fun with my toys. Once again, Arafel's Amazonian Woodelves wowed 'em. The Empire player (Kelly) had a set of 8 of the most gorgeously painted Demigriffs I have ever seen and his Steam Tank was a one piece work of art. :eek:

We enjoyed ourselves so much we decided right there and then to do it again next year. Yes boys and girls, 8th ed WFB will be alive at least that long. Six of us are also going to get together in January for a Storm of Magic game. Those are always a hoot. We did discuss the future of the game and we have pretty much decided that while AoS might be a fun game to play it's not the kind of mass combat, full battle game we want to play so at least for now we will leave it alone for our "tournaments".
Later.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: WFB Tournament 7/25

Post by Hyarion »

Well done, I'm glad you were able to get to attend a friendly tournament with a minimum of cheese.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yes, excellent stuff!

At the end of the day it's about what a group of like-minded players enjoy, rather than one system or style of play being 'better' than others.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Yes, excellent stuff!

At the end of the day it's about what a group of like-minded players enjoy, rather than one system or style of play being 'better' than others.
Exactly.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.