Best 3/Worst 3 units Redux

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Best 3/Worst 3 units Redux

Post by Sidewinder »

Well, it has been two years since the WE book was released and with big changes happening this month, it's time to revisit an old topic.
http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2 ... st#p331662
In your opinion or from your experiences, what three units are the best and what three units are the worst in the new WE army book?
Please do NOT choose from the hero nor lord categories.
Has our opinion from then changed? Did we get it spot on back then?

Anyway, please answer what you feel are currently the best 3/worst three units. Please do NOT choose from the hero nor lord categories. That can be and needs to be a separate topic.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Re: Best 3/Worst 3 units Redux

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

My Best 3: Waywatchers, deep-wood scouts, Glade Girls(would be first if they had skirmish)
Worst 3(what I don't use): treekin, wildwood rangers, dryads

...but I play MSU+shooty, so I'm obviously biased.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
SmithF
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by SmithF »

Risking to sound a bit heretical, here's my top 3:

- Best 3:
Wardancers: their killing blow dance only got better, and they still excel at keeping characters in death stars honest. They can almost reliably stop an enemy charge for a turn with their 3+ ward, especially in a wood. Finally, with their skirmish they can screen other, more expensive units from BS shooting. A+ for me.

Wild Riders (really, who wouldn't put them here?)

Treeman: Granted, he's vulnerable to cannons, Searing Doom, Purple Sun, Pit of Shades and the Hellfire sword. But he still does almost what our old 285 point treeman did, for 60 points less. He is a roadblock, he's still very good at stomping people to the ground, and his treewhack attack has saved my hide more times than I care to count. He can take the charge from almost anything (including Monstrous Cav) and come out on top, especially with a bit of help from the Lore of Beasts or the Lore of Life.

Worst 3:
Treekin: oh, how I miss my s5 treekin. They used to be a unit that did a bit of everything: anvil, hammer, flank guard. I bet that a unit of 4 with champion can still be of some use (they are good at stopping dragons and other ridden monsters at their tracks) but with no rerolls and their low strength they'll struggle to put a dent on most units.

Sisters of the Thorn: 4+ ward is nice, but if you choose (like I do) to not run a SisterStar, then they become less interesting. Curse of Aranheir is good but I'd much rather cast it with my +5 to cast Beastweaver, shield of Thorns is mediocre at best. They still have their use as redirectors, but I don't find my army lacking in such units.

Eternal Guard: S3 with AP is not bad, but they lack the amount of attacks to make it count in a small-ish unit. Stubborn I prefer on a unit that is not going to bleed wounds against pretty much anything out there. (and I have to note that I don't do congas) It's mainly the T3 and their dependence on magic that breaks the deal for me, I'm happier with my T4 dryads that can soak up a bit of shooting before losing combat potential (however poor that combat potential may be).
Also, for the same points (and a special slot) you get an ItP elf unit with S5 and nifty rules against fear causers. For my play style, having a healthy amount of s5+ attacks is key, magic is only the proverbial cherry on the cake.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Was this meant to be about 8th or about AoS?

AoS favors all big models: treeman, Durthu and dragon are the way to go untill (hopefully soon) it gets an erratum on army selection. I just cannot see how GW made these rules.

8th:
Waywatchers, scouts and wild riders. Great choices for shooting and melee and together without support can deal with nearly everything. GG are very good too but skirmish on the scouts makes them better. After I fill core with GG I take scouts if I want more special arrows.
~ Wardancer ~
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf , Orc&Golbin , Vampire Counts , Dark Elves

Post by ~ Wardancer ~ »

3 best

1st Wildrider They overrun into the enemy rear all the time :D
2nd Waywatchers They can do it all
3rd Wardancers They allow me to control the battle field

3 Worst

1st Treekin Fammable & STR 4
2nd Gladeriders I can do more with less points and I know when they will show up.
3rd Our special characters Not a lot of choices............. unless you play in really big battles.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Aezeal wrote:Was this meant to be about 8th or about AoS?
The question is for Warhammer Fantasy, not Age of Sigmar. I felt the question makes a good bookend because I originally asked it when the current but last to be published WE army book was first released. I wanted to know if opinions had changed since then because army lists change over time as the community learns to play with and against what we have in our book.

When I first read your post, I was going to state that a separate topic could be started asking for the best/worst in AoS. After having read the rules and the posts in the AoS thread, I realize that we absolutely do NOT need anything of the sort. AoS looks like it's designed to be a fun, cheeky game, not a hyper-competitive game. The purpose of the best/worst units thread and topics of that ilk are to assist everyone in making a highly competitive list. That would not be in the best interest of AoS for it to succeed.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

Best:
Wild riders: They can hit with almost all attacks and they can also wound,
Waywatchers: anti heavy armor or just taking care of
Great eagles: cheap, perfect for redirection, 20 inch fly

Worst:
Treekin they lose everything, why buy them when more wild riders are cheaper and hit harder
Dryads: they just can't do CR, no muscian and banner hurts plus they can't wound with str 3
Glade riders, way too expensive to not have on the battlefield for a round or more