Beastweaver in a Cavalry army

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Beastweaver in a Cavalry army

Post by chickenbane »

Just had a game last week against Skaven here. I was using a level 2 Beast mage as support for my units of Wild riders and as he was mounted and skulked around a lot in the woods he was pretty much the eqivalent of a level 4. I began thinking if I had a level 4 beastweaver with the book of Ashur a lot of the time he would be getting +7 to his casting rolls if he's mainly augment cavalry or Monstrous beasts. So do you think it's a worthwhile tactic using him to make your opponent use his dispel dice swiftly otherwise have lots of muscle bound elves wrecking his army's face?
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Beastweaver in a Cavalry army

Post by Mollesvinet »

The lore attribute of beasts does not add +1 to your cast, it reduces the requirement by 1. So the spell gets easier to cast, but not harder to dispel. (unless they changed it in end times)

I like mounted mages though, especially on beast so that amber spear can be even more useful!
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by chickenbane »

My bad, the book is way over the other side of the room :D . I still think it's worth a discussion as the more spells that are cast successfully, the more early decisions your opponent has to make as to whether spells go through.

My Battles
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Do you get a bonus on Amber spear when you cast it from a monstrous mount? You only get it when targetting a monster right?
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by chickenbane »

You get a bonus targetting cavalry, monstrous beasts etc.

My Battles
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

It's true, you get the -1 for a lot of unit types.

I've found Moonstone very effective on a Beasts lvl4. Sets up flank shots with Amber Spear and gets you close enough to use the short-ranged character buffs. A level 4 in a wood needs a 4 on 2 dice to cast Wildform on cavalry and that's the magic number.