Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-01-10 - Forest Dragon meets dwarfs 2k

Post by NonnoSte »

Yeah, I forgot about entrenchments, but I would have still fired to the Cannon.
Had you stayed still with Scouts, he could have probably been interested in advancing towards them with Irondrakes and try to charge you. At that point I think it would be easy to sneak behind M3 Dwarves with Elven skirmishers.

The fact is that the times I faced Irondrakes, I always found them underwhelming. Especially in smallish units.
Probably bigger units (20-24) are scary because of sheer amount of fire and the fact that they're really effective in combat too, but as they are, BS3 is really a shame on a Dwarven ranged elite unit.

I thought that shieldwall special rule just gave +1 to the parry save (5++, then), I didn't know about rear-parries. My bad.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

How is the eagle alive? 1 wound from first shot, 1 wound from rifle on the charge and 1 wound from 2nd shot... even as Lucky as it is on the wounding rolls it still adds up to 3 wounds .
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

On the first shot he rolled a 1 to wound, not the number of wounds. Sorry if that wasn't clear from the report.

The eagle was shot at by a flame cannon which failed to wound.

Then by a cannon that failed to hit.

Then by a cannon that failed to wound.

Then by a rifle that wounded.

Then by a cannon that did 1 wound.

Very lucky eagle! One of the few games where the eagle survives at all.

And about the scouts, I will try to play them better next time. Next time I will probably try to spread them out a bit as well, so that they can't all be blocked by a single unit like this. They have good range after all!
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

I don't think it was a bad placement, a quite aggressive one maybe, but you could have reached his war machines easily from there and the vanguard banner was a nasty surprise.

I wonder what else could have been done with them in deployment.
Maybe it was safe to garrison the central building with a unit or hide behind it, with LoS on cannon. Or else just stay a bit further or directly in the forest, to give as many to hit penalties as possible to enemy's units.
For the same reason I would have approached the Organ Gun with WR from the other side of the building. You could have reached it with little to no harm using the house as a screen.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Good point about the building, I should definitely have taken that one!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-01-17 - Wood elves vs dwarfs 2k

Post by Mollesvinet »

First of all, i forgot to attach some pictures of the previous battle from the 10th of january, so i will do so here:

Battle Line:
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... FS/002.jpg

Forest Dragon stares down the flank of the dwarven horde:
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... FS/003.jpg

I forgot my camera this week though, so no pictures for the following report :(

Pre-battle
For this battle I was fighting a guy called Ben, at my local games-workshop store. I had a lot of strategies planned with my army, but eventually I would fail to follow most of it. The list is designed to lure people to an eternal guard bunker, holding the level 4 on shadows, and which is placed in my own venom thicket. The plan is to park the wardancers in front of the eternal guard, so that people can only get to me on an over-run. The wardancers can hopefully KB the worst characters (they killed a blender vampire lord with this strategy before). In my own turn, I can then try to cast withering, mindrazor and so on. On any successful spell I will change places with the nearby shadowdancer. I made the shadowdancer a level 1, if I am against a low initiative army I will take a junk spell on the shadowdancer to ensure pit on the level 4. If I play against elves or such, I will take double miasma. The 2000 points list looks like this:

Lords (245pts)
Spellweaver (240pts)
(BRB) Power Stone, Level 4 Lore of Shadow

Heroes (315pts)
Glade Captain (130pts)
(AB) Hail of Doom Arrow, Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard, Light Armor

Shadowdancer (185pts)
Level 1 shadow, dispel scroll

Core (523pts)
24x Eternal Guard (333pts)
Full command, (BRB) Standard of Discipline, shields

12x Glade Guard (190pts)
Musician

Special (622pts)
11x Deepwood Scouts (176pts)
Hagbane Tips

5x Deepwood Scouts (80pts)
Hagbane Tips

Hagbane Tips

5x Wardancers (75pts)

7x Wild Riders (211pts)
Standard Bearer, (BRB) Gleaming Pennant, Shields

Rare (300pts)
Great Eagle

Great Eagle

5x Waywatchers (100pts)

5x Waywatchers (100pts)

My opponents list was something like this:

Rune Lord on shieldbearers –unknown kit
Thane BSB – unknown kit
Engineer – unknown kit
Rune smith – Rune of spell eater
28 hammerers – great weapons, full command
33 longbeards – Banner of 5+ ward against shooting
Cannon
Organ gun
Gyrocopter

I rolled my shadowdancers spell first and got pendulum.
My spellweaver got miasma, withering, pit of shades and mindrazor. 

Deployment

We played on a small 4’x4’ table, which probably aided him more than me as it restricted movement. We got three normal buildings and a normal hill. The left forest is my venom thicket and the right one is a mysterious forest. I got to pick sides and I choose this one so that he couldn’t put his cannon in a building. It was also easier to ambush him from this position. I put the forest in the middle to make sure that if he came to me, the close combat would be in a forest. I made sure to stay 30” away from his organ gun with all units, except a single unit of scouts. The wardancers ended up being within range as well, as I forgot to make room for them but stubbornly stuck to my strategy. Scouts set up to take the buildings as I learnt in my last report and wild riders would vanguard up to hide behind the building as well. He got the first turn due to his +1.  

Dwarfs turn 1

Movement: He moved his gyrocopter up behind the building.

Shooting: Due to my bad placement of the wardancers, he was able to annihilate them with the organ gun. All units passed their panic test though. The cannon killed 3 eternal guard, which will prove to play a major impact on the game!

Wood Elves Turn 1

Movement: The ambush begins. All units move up as shown on the diagram, main target is his Organ Gun. The eternal guard move up to be in range with pit of shades.

Magic: 10v6 – I cast a two dice miasma at longbeards but it gets dispelled with 4 dice. I then cast pit of shades, I want to target the organ gun but get tempted into targeting the longbeards as I can hit a whole bunch of them. I cast put with 4 dice and he tries to dispel with 2 but fail. I roll a hit, but he passes his look-out-sir with both characters and pass 11 out of 17 inititative tests! With the remaining four dice I cast pendulum from the shadowdancer and do two wounds to the gyrocopter.

Shooting: The rightmost scouts shoot at the gyrocopter and kills it. Everything else fires at the organ gun, and do two wounds to it. It is now up to the BSB and his hail of doom arrow, and he just manages the last wound!

Dwarfs Turn 2

Movement: He realizes that I have him out-gunned and moves forwards by 3 inches. The engineer marches towards the cannon.

Shooting: The cannon targets my left eagle and kills it. Everyone passes their panic.

Wood Elves Turn 2

Movement: Everyone moves closer and the remaining great eagles moves up to threaten the cannon that killed his brother. The EG moves so that he needs around 10 with his hammerers to reach them and basically out of reach of the longbeards.

Magic: 5+1v3+1 – I use two dice on miasma to slow down the dwarfs, but I roll double 1! I try to cast pendulum with 4 dice against the cannon but he dispels it.

Shooting: The right-most scouts kill the cannon with shooting. Everyone else tries to kill the engineer for some free points, but all that shooting only manages a single wound on the tough little bugger.

Dwarfs Turn 3

Movement: He fails a charge with his hammerers against my EG, and stumbles forward 4 inches. The longbeards reform to face the wild riders. It doesn’t show well on this diagram, but for some reason the engineer couldn’t reach the main unit.

Wood Elves Turn 3

Movement: I feel the game is pretty much won, but instead of running away I wanted to enter close combat. I get a bit too cocky though, as I charge with the eternal guard without support. The wild riders have to keep a bit of distance, due to the longbeards.

Magic: 6v3 – I suspect he doesn’t have a rune of dispel, as he didn’t use it against pit of shades back then. Therefore I decide to roll all 6 dice at mindrazor, but as I should have guessed he uses the rune and I am left in a terrible position. I can’t even cast a backup spell to move my spellweaver away!

Shooting: I manage to kill the engineer and 9 longbeards.

Combat: For some reason I thought I was charging longbeards with 1 attack and S4, but the models even had hammers and everything so there is no excuse for that. Instead they had 2 attacks at S6, so they pulverize 8 eternal guard and I only kill 1 in return. At least he didn’t target the weaver I think, and pass my stubborn break test. 

Dwarfs Turn 4

Movement: He charges the wild riders, but fail the charge.

Combat: Again I kill only 1 longbeard. Again he doesn’t target the spellweaver, but rolls like a daemon and does 13 wounds! (had he not killed 3 with the cannon, 2 would still remain!) This leaves the spellweaver as the last remaining model. Now as I am writing this, I just remember that she should be stubborn if she was in the forest. However, if I remember correctly then the first rank was out of the forest. In any case, she flees 8 inches but he rolls 9 and catches her.

Wood Elves Turn 4

Movement: I move the wild riders to threaten the hammerers and all archers to face them as well. The shadowdancer leaves the building. I was not sure if he could leave the building alone, but if it wasn’t the case then all the scouts could have left in a single rank for the same effect.

Magic: I cast pendulum with 6 dice and get IF, killing 4-5 hammerers and ignoring the miscast as I roll 7.

Shooting: Shoot 8 hammerers to death.

Dwarfs Turn 5

Movement: He reforms the longbeards to face the central battlefields. He then attempts a swift reform with the hammerers, but fail the test.

Wood Elves Turn 5

Movement: I charge the wild riders in the front, scouts in the flank and the shadowdancer in the rear. All remaining archers face the longbeards.

Shooting: I do 9 wounds to the longbeards with shooting, though it is too late to make a difference at this point.

Combat: I destroy all but 1 hammerer and run them down, leaving me well away from the longbeards.

Post-battle Musings
It ended up with a difference of 149 points in my favor, so a 10-10 draw. I felt I had the game bagged and tagged until turn 3, when I charged the eternal guard in and they had their butts kicked. Had it been a tournament I would have stayed back and just shot dwarves off while casting withering and maybe do a combined charge with wild riders in the end. Overall it did make for a more interesting game, though I do think that it would have been in his favour to go to me earlier on as I had him out-gunned.

In my first turn I nearly messed up the game for myself, only JUST killing the organ gun. In the future I would target the organ gun with pit of shades. If it goes through, then the archers can just shoot at something else, if not, then there is the backup solution of archery. Don’t take any chances! I guess it was some poetic justice that almost all of his longbeards survived the pit. The fact that he didn’t use the rune to stop this spell was really brave of him, and it definitely turned out to be the right decision later on. I should have known that he had the rune, why else would he have a rune smith? With that in mind, I should have used my power stone to cast both withering and mindrazor in that fatal turn 3.

After the game I suggested him that it may have been a better idea to focus on the glade guard with his longbeards. The longbeards didn’t do anything for the whole game, due to reforming to face fast-cavalry or not moving at all. For me, I felt I did better than last time when it came to deployment. However, I did get a bit sloppy with the wardancer and eternal guard placement. Also, in the future, even if I want to go into combat for the fun of it then I will probably wait a turn or two to make sure that I get the optimal conditions to do so.

I should get another game in on sunday, will try to remember my camera!
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi Mollesvinet,
Thanks for the good report as usual and compliments on a generally well played game (excluding that suicidal burst of bravery from Eternal Guards).

I have a couple of questions and comments, tough.

The smaller table favoured him indeed, since you had less space to manouver outside his gun's range, but it also meant he could not corner away from you.
In fact his army looks quite spread out for a dwarven army. It looks like he was eager to get in close combat and you could have taken advantage of it.
On a side note, you shouldn't be able to deply de Shadowdancer with that big unit of HBT Scouts, since they are deployed AFTER characters (besides, they look to be out of your deployment zone, so it's again not possible to place the Shadowdancer there).

Wardancers could have been placed beside the Eternal Guards block and move them in front before getting the charge, but being cheapish they weren't much of a loss (altough preventable).

In your third turn, instead of charging, you could have just shifted the unit a bit on the left, offering the charge to hammerers through the forest and with the small unit of Scouts working as a speedbump (as you would usually have used wardancers).
Here your opponent also made a mistake in separating his blocks and you could have capitalized on that, sneaking your Wild Riders through and threatening the Hammerers rear if they charged your EG (they're still Stubborn, but a combined charge of 7 Wild Riders and 24 Eternal Guards should kill 20-25 Hammerers per round).

Lastly, the Shadowdancer could freely get out from the building alone, since it works exactly as moving out from a unit.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thank you for your comments!
NonnoSte wrote:The smaller table favoured him indeed, since you had less space to manouver outside his gun's range, but it also meant he could not corner away from you.
In fact his army looks quite spread out for a dwarven army. It looks like he was eager to get in close combat and you could have taken advantage of it.
He only started moving forwards after the organ gun and gyrocopter died, and at that point he didn't even march. If I was him I would have probably rushed from turn 1 (and if I was playing dwarves, I would have vanguard on the two blocks as well :D).
NonnoSte wrote: On a side note, you shouldn't be able to deply de Shadowdancer with that big unit of HBT Scouts, since they are deployed AFTER characters (besides, they look to be out of your deployment zone, so it's again not possible to place the Shadowdancer there).
Good catch. I usually play two units of glade guard, one on each side of the EG. I really missed some more trueflight arrows this game and will probably keep the formation I used to play. Then again, I used to play at 2400 where the extra glade guard fit in better.
NonnoSte wrote: Wardancers could have been placed beside the Eternal Guards block and move them in front before getting the charge, but being cheapish they weren't much of a loss (altough preventable).
First I simply forgot that the wardancers were supposed to be in front of the EG, then I stubbornly put them there anyway. This was 100% my own mistake.
NonnoSte wrote: In your third turn, instead of charging, you could have just shifted the unit a bit on the left, offering the charge to hammerers through the forest and with the small unit of Scouts working as a speedbump (as you would usually have used wardancers).
Here your opponent also made a mistake in separating his blocks and you could have capitalized on that, sneaking your Wild Riders through and threatening the Hammerers rear if they charged your EG (they're still Stubborn, but a combined charge of 7 Wild Riders and 24 Eternal Guards should kill 20-25 Hammerers per round).
All valid points, there were many things I could have done better at this point. After throwing my original strategy to the wind, my game got very messy. I used to play against very competitive opponents, but in my local shop the atmosphere is so different and I don't want to be a bad opponent. However as I mentioned, this does not excuse very poor decisions!
NonnoSte wrote: Lastly, the Shadowdancer could freely get out from the building alone, since it works exactly as moving out from a unit.
Thanks for clearing that up. And thank you again for commenting! Next time I will try to keep my head cold :P
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

I agree pretty much with NonnoSte's post. Also, have you considered putting the Shadowdancer with the EG? I feel like they complement each other, while a caster is better protected in a Skirmish unit.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

The shadowdancer is supposed to be fighting with the eternal guard. The original plan is to use the level 4 as bait, to make the enemy attack the eternal guard in their venom forest. After the enemy overrun the wardancers into the EG, the level 4 will switch place with the shadowdancer through shadow magic and laugh when both shadowdancer and eternal guard get S9 from mindrazor :D If unharmed, that's 20 eternal guard attacks and 4-5? shadowdancer attacks with rerolls to hit, needing 2 to wound and rerolling 1's. Its brutal beyond measure!

It has worked before, but doesn't work so well against static armies obviously. Great to see you here Git, I read and commented on your small battles against the Brets and dwarfs, hope to see some more soon
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Ah, I didn't think that far. :)
I managed to kill a Chaos Chariot with my Scouts once. Mindrazor and low Impact hit roll.

I have played a bunch of 500 point battles lately, and may make some reports from those. I'll probably report more when we move up to 750 points. At 500 the battles go so fast I play twice an evening, and have at least 5 unreported. With the same escalation list in all battles reports won't provide very much interesting information.
Syphilis
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Syphilis »

Hi Mollesvinet,

Wow cool battle reports and I really like your lists. I'm slowly trying to figure out my lists and the twin oaks one sounds really themey and awesome. Was that a fun to list to play? How did that compare with the Enigma Stargazer list with bulk scouts and waywatchers?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello Syphilis,

Thank you for the compliments. Treemen are fun and they are beasts in combat against infantry. The fun can quickly stop if you meet one of their many hard counters though. Had the chaos guy had a skull-cannon, then i would be toast. It's that simple. Usint the end times rules with the twin oaks, it was cool to have two lore masters!

The stargazer list was written to be a soft list, though it is still pretty decent and did well. It has almost 25% of the army in heroes, which is way too much for a competitive army in my opinion. It is however much more balanced than the treeman list, so you can do well against most armies. The heaven magic is really nice for buffs, high strength magic missiles and comet. Having the signature spell twice was also really good, since it made it harder to dispel the effect in the first place and stacking the effect makes it even better.

When I write a list, i usually go with a general concept and build the army around it. For example, I might want to combine a dragon with death magic. That will be the cornerstone, then the rest of the army is chosen to support the concept. I like to play with different lists, though it does require to have an abundance of models lying around!
Syphilis
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-01-25 - 1.5k Triumph and Treachery

Post by Syphilis »

I've always been into Treemen and have 2 of them. But I saw how your scouting list could be pretty fun as you were deployed close to your opponents flank!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

This sunday I had a game of triumph and treachery with 3 other people. We had 2 dwarf players, a lizardman and my wood elves. The many players and random turns make it very difficult to write a traditional battle report, so I will just show the deployment and explain the game in broad turns. First, let me quickly describe the lists, from memory and in order of deployment:

Dwarf 1
Dwarf Lord on shield
Rune Smith
Thane BSB
25 longbeards (with all characters)
21 hammerers
Organ Gun /w Engineer

Wood Elves (1502pts, sorry about that)
Spellweaver - level4 death, steed, power stone
Spellsinger - level1 shadow, dispel scroll
BSB - hail of doom
8 Glade Riders - Hagbane, musician, banner, gleaming pennant
10 Glade Guard - Trueflight, musician (BSB)
10 Glade Guard - Trueflight, musician (level 1 mage)
6 Wild Riders - Shields (holds spellweaver until glade riders arrive)
6 Wild Riders - Shields
5 Scouts - hagbane
5 scouts - hagbane

Dwarf 2
A bunch of characters
40 Ironbreakers (with all characters)
8 Iron Drakes
Cannon
Organ Gun /w Engineer

Lizardmen
Slann - BSB, 3 channel on 5+, loremaster high, Earthing rod
Oldblood
Skink Priest - dispel scroll
21 Saurus Warriors - shields
19 Temple Guard
6 Chameleon Skinks
6 Chameleon Skinks

For spells I rolled my level 4 first:
Spirit leech, soulblight, doom and darkness and fate of bjuna
Level1: Withering (since i had no purple sun i didn't need miasma so much)

Deployment and terrain
All forests are normal forests, all buildings are normal and there is an arcane ruins to he north. I couldn't resist deploying as I did, given that the dwarfs gave me free access to the organ gun. I put my scouts to keep chameleon skinks away from my wild riders. The wild riders with the mage vanguarded 0.1 inch so that they can't charge. I had a card that forced the enemy to change his opponent, so had the nearby dwarf gotten first turn he couldn't have shot my wild riders.

Turn 1
I got the very first turn, and the wild riders took out the organ gun and its engineer. I failed to cast withering on 6 dice! Both dwarf players ally and go for the lizardmen, lustrian gold and all that! The hammerers fail a long charge on the saurus. Second dwarf player focuses his organ gun and iron drakes on chameleon skinks. The slann manages to cast drain magic and changes it for earthblood, but then fails to cast it with a double 1.

Turn 2
The hammerers get to try another charge, and this time they make it. They slay a bunch of saurus, saurus flee but get away. Slann casts walk between worlds (IF kills 6 TG) to get away from the horde of dwarves, thinking the wood elves to be easier points. My glade riders arrive, so my spellweaver joins them and my wild riders go to face the incoming temple guard. My wild riders charge the cannon and overrun into the organ gun. This time i manage to cast withering on some dwarves, but they use the rune to dispell.

Turn 3
My wild riders decide that the time for glory is now, they fail their restrain test and charge headlong into the temple guard! My magic gets dispelled with scroll and dice. They manage to kill 12, and only one temple guard survives. All wild riders are slain in return. The saurus rally, but now outnumber the hammerers due to my shooting and soul quench from slann.

Turn 4
The slann changes his mind about the wood elves and faces the dwarves again. My wild riders move back towards the battle and i shoot off the last temple guard netting me a lot of points. I get Bjuna on the old blood, but i roll double 1 for number of hits. The iron draks manages to finish the skinks, caught them in close combat.

Turn 5
I shot the last hammerers, getting me a lot of points again. Wild riders move all up to the rear of the long beards.

Turn 6
Wild riders charge the rear of the longbeards, because why not. Withering is dispelled, but i do get soulblight on them. I use the card so that they cannot be steadfast, and the lizardman player uses a card so that both players must reroll succesful hits. He makes way with his lord, but only one wound gets through my armor and i roll a 6 for ward. The result is that the longbeards flee, but get away on a 9. I overrun into the slann and oldblood, the slann had already take 3 wounds from shooting.

End-game musings
It was fun to play triumph and treachery, it was the first time i played it and i managed to win. My fast wood elf army really did well in this setting, as i could pick out all the weak units and reap the rewards! My opponents usually prefer large blocks, but i do think that the msu has several advantages to them. It simply gets too easy to control or avoid them. The random turns makes it really dangerous though, as your opponent can get 2 turns before you get yours. This means he can reform to face you or simply march close to you, and then charge in the second turn.

The cards were fun, but sometimes a bit annoying especially for the other guys. The saurus avoided the hammerers for several turns only due to cards forcing his opponent to pick another target, and it was frustrating for the dwarf player not to be able to do anything. The card to remove steadfast was also crazy, without it my last wild rider charge would have been for nothing. Other cards are more balanced, like +1WS or a little extra move. It didn't hurt the wood elves so much though, due to mobility, range and being active in all phases it was easy to change targets.

NEWS FLASH: I will be attending my first tournament ever in the end of February! I will try to work out a list and have some practice games, which of course will be here on this thread.

Tournament information can be found on this link, if anyone is interested:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=127046
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 28 Jan 2015, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Syphilis wrote:I've always been into Treemen and have 2 of them. But I saw how your scouting list could be pretty fun as you were deployed close to your opponents flank!
I have 5 treemen, and with the new 50% lords it is easy to field them all. Having a bunch of treemen makes sure at least some of them survive to see combat! Otherwise, the new treemen are pretty cheap so it is possible to include just a single one to avoid being tabled before the game starts.

For me, i always liked the treemen and the elves. In this regard, the new weak rules for dryads and treekin doesn't hurt me so bad even though it still sucks. I must admit though, that i find the gameplay with elves funnier overall than with the massed trees. This is mainly due to the fact that you are dancing around your enemy, staying close but out of reach as opposed to the trees just rushing into combat like many other armies. Elven armies can also have a lot of close combat, but it is more surgical in nature.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-01-31 - Tournament list tryout vs dwa

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
As mentioned in the last post, I will be going to a tournament at the end of February. This will be the first tournament practice game, where I test the initial list I made and try to figure out what I can do to improve it. The list is as follows:

Total: 2399pts

Lords (595pts)
Spellweaver (310pts)
Hail of Doom Arrow, Power Scroll, Asrai Longbow, Elven Steed, High Magic Level 4

Spellweaver (285pts)
Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, Dispel Scroll, Level 4 Lore of Shadow

Core (622pts)
12x Glade Guard (190pts)
Musician, Trueshot Arrows

12x Glade Guard (190pts)
Musician, Trueshot Arrows

9x Glade Riders (242pts)
Full command, Gleaming Pennant, Swiftshiver arrows

Special (682pts)
Hagbane Tips

Hagbane Tips

Starfire arrows

7x Wild Riders (221pts)
Shields, Banner, Banner of swiftness

7x Wild Riders (221pts)
Shields, Banner, Banner of eternal flame

Rare (500pts)
Great Eagle

Great Eagle

10x Waywatchers (200pts)

10x Waywatchers (200pts)

I will not go so much into details about my list, as the ideas of it will play out in the report. I was playing against a guy called Mike, who is taking care of the local GW store while the regular manager is on holidays. My opponent fielded a dwarf army, the list was as follows:

Ungrim Ironhide
Josef Bugman
Rune Smith – rune of spell eater
Rune Smith – rune of spell eater
Engineer
19 Quarrelers
19 Thunderers
19 Thunderers
27 Bugman Rangers
29 Slayers
2 organ guns
2 bolt throwers
Somewhere in there he had an item that gave him +4 to dispel attempts.

For spells I had:
Steed of shadows (changed to miasma), enfeebling foe, withering and pit of shades
Hand of glory, 2 tempest (soul quench and arcane disjunction) and fiery convocation 

Deployment
We didn’t really pick sides, instead we just set up where we were standing. The lower forest is my venom thicket, and on my side of the table there are 2 normal buildings and a normal forest. On his side is a bunch of hills which you can’t see and two ruins which are dangerous terrain to cavalry. He rolled to deploy first, and basically start with all of his ranged units. After setting up eagles and glade guard, I decide to stay away from the left flank as it is loaded with shooting. He gets first scouting and puts bugman’s rangers pretty much in the middle. Not really sure what my plan was with the starfire scouts, but it turned out okay as a unit of thunderers and the quarrelers decided to stand still to kill them. Wild riders vanguard up a bit, but stay out of range of the organ gun. Despite his +1 I get the first turn. 

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: I move to focus my shooting on the rangers, except for the left waywatchers. The top hagbane scouts move closer to the bolt thrower, in case they don’t kill it they can charge next turn.

Magic: 5v3. I use two dice for a big miasma on the rangers, but only reduce their stats by 1. He fails to dispel this. I then use the last 3 dice to cast pit of shades on them, but he uses a spell eater rune. I get to keep the spell though.

Shooting: I only manage 2 wounds on the bolt thrower but I do a fair amount of wounds to the rangers.

Dwarfs Turn 1
Movement: He marches the slayers and the left-most thunderers.

Shooting: Quarellers and thunderers kill the starfire scouts. The right bolt thrower misses and the organ gun only does 4 shots and kills 2 scouts. Lucky lucky! Bugman’s rangers shoot at GG2, but only kill 2 due to their lowered BS.

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: The 3 scouts charge the bolt thrower, as it has only 1 wound remaining. Ambushers fail to arrive! The wild riders have to stay put, as the organ gun is still alive but the eagle moves up so that either the scouts or the eagle can charge the organ gun next turn.

Magic: 5+1v4 or something like that. I cast hand of glory on the waywatchers to buff their BS. I also get wither off on the rangers, but only drop their toughness by 1.

Shooting: I basically kill a lot of rangers, they are down to about 2 ranks of 7 at this point.

Combat: The scouts manage the last wound on the bolt thrower and overruns closer to the organ gun.

Dwarfs Turn 2
Movement: All units move forward, either to get into range or to threaten with close combat in the case of the rangers.
Magic: He dispels withering.

Shooting: The organ gun annihilates the 3 remaining scouts.

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: The eagle charges the organ gun successfully. Ambushers arrive in the top right corner. The high weaver joins the glade riders and the rest of the wild riders surround the slayers. I lose one wild rider to dangerous terrain.

Magic: 5v3. I get hand of glory off on the glade riders and increase their BS by 3. I also manage to get withering off, but again only for 1 toughness. Lastly I cast soul quench on the slayers with 1 dice and he decides to use his second spell eater rune against it. I lose the spell.

Shooting: The rangers are almost destroyed, but still hang in there. The glade riders uses multiple shots at the slayers, all hitting at 2+. I also pop the hail of doom arrow for a measly 4 shots extra. I do around 10 wounds but he saves 5 on a 5+ ward save.

Combat: The eagle and organ gun crew trade a wound and he passes his break test.

Dwarfs Turn 3
Movement: The rangers move closer to GG2. The left thunderer unit and the quareller move forward to get into range while the middle thunderer unit moves against the eagle and the glade riders. The slayers surprisingly faces the glade riders and wild riders.

Magic: Dispells wither.

Shooting: I think he misses with the left bolt thrower against the eagle.

Wood Elves Turn 4
Movement: I decide to delay the attack on the slayers and dance around them a bit. I lose another wild rider to dangerous terrain. GG1 moves into the building.

Magic: 6v4. I get another hand of glory off, though I forgot to mark it on the diagram. My other spell got dispelled.

Shooting: The rangers bite the dust and the waywatchers finish off Josef Bugman with hawk-eyed precision. I also kill some thunderers and quarrelers.

Dwarfs Turn 4
Movement: He reforms the slayers to face the glade riders.

Shooting: The bolt thrower takes a shot at the glade riders and eats a token. Quarellers and thunderers kill a disturbingly high number of glade guard in the building, despite only hitting on 6’s.

Wood Elves Turn 5
Movement: I charge the slayers with both wild rider units. The eagle moves in front of the special character, in case the wild riders get destroyed so that he cannot reach my glade riders. All archers move into range of quarrelers and the shadow weaver uses the moonstone to get closer to the action.

Magic: 11v6. A good magic phase, right when I need it! He dispels enfeebling foe on slayers. Instead I get wither on them (1T again!) and miasma on the quarrelers to reduce their BS. The high weaver gets hand of glory.

Shooting: I kill a good number of quarrelers and thunderers, but at this point (and maybe even earlier) I should have focused fire on a single unit!

Combat: The wild riders go to town and produce 27 wounds, needing 3+ to hit with reroll and 2+ to wound. Every slayer dies, but my opponent laughs manically and declares that they get their death blows! Ungrim kills 2 wild riders and death blows kills a total of 5 wild riders. Ungrim is bad-ass, so he stays around due to unbreakable! The combat res would have been insane though.

Dwarfs Turn 5
Magic: He rolls double 1 for magic phase, but then channels twice! Ultimately he rolls very low with his 4 dice and fail to dispel wither.

Shooting: The quarrelers kill 4 waywatchers. His thunderers misses completely. The bolt thrower then fires at the glade riders, either it misses or I burn a token. The top thunderers fail to wound the glade riders.

Combat: Ungrim brings down one unit of wild riders and reforms to face the remaining unit.

Wood Elves Turn 6
Magic: I get hand of glory again that he fails to dispel. I then use the power scroll to cast fiery convocation on the quarrelers with 3 dice but get IF anyway. The miscast is 7, three glade riders are wounded but I just remove 3 counters. I roll poorly on the damage of the spell.

Shooting: After shooting there are only 1 quarreler and a rune smith with 1 wound left. I also kill a bunch of thunderers. It is at this point I realize that I should have focused fire to reap more victory points.

Combat: My last wild rider unit is destroyed.

Dwarfs Turn 6
Movement: He charges the eagle with Ungrim.

Magic: Fails to dispel fiery convocation, but the darn spell fails to wound the rune smith and the last quarreler saves his wound!

Shooting: He tries to kill the last glade guard in the building and his thunderers takes out 2 of 3. The bolt thrower then fires at them, it hits but rolls a 1 to wound.

Combat: The eagle is eaten by Ungrim.

Post-game
I was very happy about how the list performed, I felt I had almost complete control of my opponent. High magic and shadow magic went very well together, even if I had many low magic phases. Another thing that worked great was the swiftshiver glade riders and the hail of doom. I was hitting on 2’s and 3’s for almost all the turns and their movement ensured that they could go wherever they were needed. I also felt very safe with the moonstone on the shadow weaver, and it gave her the mobility she needed to help out the slayer combat. With skirmishing, light cover and miasma she was pretty safe from shooting even right in front of all the dwarves.

I should have focused fire as mentioned, that was a mistake. It was incredible that the runesmith and quarreler survived at all, but it could have easily been avoided. Also I didn’t expect Ungrim to be unbreakable, had I known then I’m not sure if I would still make the charge. Maybe after a arcane disjunction or two! He had insane control of the board with all the shooting and the double organ gun, but with the large amount of scouting and ambushing units I did okay anyway.

I will keep the layout of the list for now and have another go with it tomorrow. If you have any suggestions or comments about the battle, then I would be very happy to hear it.

Pictures:

The armies have been deployed

Bugman's Rangers

Slayers surrounded

From the perspective of a dwarf

The amazing kill-pile (lower wild rider unit moved due to fence)

As you can see I am still working on the paint, I have to finish painting it all before the tournament or it will count as casualties!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

There was no opponent to play againt this sunday. Boo hoo.
noneshallpass!
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by noneshallpass! »

What are your reasoning behind High+Shadow? I am torn between Heavens, Shadow and maybe Death to go with High Magic.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Well, I always liked shadow magic but I think that high magic can really help it along.

For shadow, the main spell is withering since I have so many shots in the army. Shadow in early game mainly has wither, miasma and maybe pit of shades going for it. This can make it quite one dimensional in the start of the game, especially against high initiative enemies.

High magic on the other hand has arcane disjunction, a spell which is good until you ruined your enemy characters. It has soul quench against chaff, which is also mostly useful in the beginning of the game in my opinion. Hand of glory is also really good for the multiple shot glade riders. Swiftshiver shards hitting on 2+, soul quench and fiery convocation works very well combined with withering!

So basically, high is good early on and as the enemy draws nearer I will focus more on shadow. The two lores together has quite a lot of cheap spells: miasma, hand of glory, soul quench (even fiery convocation with the power scroll). This gives flexibility.

So compared to the other lores you mentioned. I tried death a little bit, but so many characters are toughness and strength 5 making the two sniper spells much less reliable. The LD sniper spell is super random, often doing nothing as well. I feel that an arcane disjunction or two will make characters killable anyway (especially combined with miasma and withering). Sniping a level 4 elven wizard would be nice, but massed shooting combined with withering or fiery convocation can quickly evaporate their bunker and make them vulnerable. Only help for archers is soul blight and I suppose doom and darkness for panics. Purple sun is awesome, but pit of shades has the same effect to a lesser degree.

Heavens is very nice, but especially early on when you can use magic missiles and comets. With my fast list I can be all over the table, so comet could prove dangerous if it is delayed enough. The signature hex is very good, but the other two are less significant in my opinion. And again, not much help for our archers except rerolling 1's!

To make a long story short: I guess the main point I like is the phasing, going heavy high to heavy shadow over the course of the game.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I am no expert or anything, so comments or corrections are welcome :)
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi Mollesvinet.
Great game and exceptional report, as always.

It was awesome to see the way you dictated the flow of the battle and how easily you made his whole right flank almost useless (the building helped you nicely and I think he made a mistake putting the bolt thrower and the organ gun on that corner).

I really like the Glade Riders unit. I guess it's something not many opponents see coming. A good round of shooting from them and the HoDA can get rid of mid sized non-armoured units (had the HoDA produced more shots, this match would have showed it really well).
It's just a bit a gamble relying on your roll for GR arrival and it limits somewhat the options where to have them entering the battlefield. But it definetly is interesting.

Have you considered a unit of Sisters for a similar purpose? You lose half the shots and they're shorter ranged, but it's partially mitigated by their mobility and you gain poison.

Good point about High/Shadow phasing. I'm finding High/Metal nice for the same purpose, but I'm finding Metal lacks a bit of the power lores like Shadow or Death have. You have no really spectacular spells if not Final Trans, which is quite matchup dependant (against MSU or Ogres for example is almost useless).
I generally don't like Life very much if not in particular situations, but it seems to fit your reasoning.
noneshallpass!
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by noneshallpass! »

Thanks for sharing your insight. Magic can be a huge waste of points if not planned and played well. I tried High&Shadow yesterday. While needing practise with the lores, I do like the combination so far.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thank you for the comments, guys.
NonnoSte wrote:Have you considered a unit of Sisters for a similar purpose? You lose half the shots and they're shorter ranged, but it's partially mitigated by their mobility and you gain poison.
Yes I did consider sisters, but for a couple of reasons I did not take them. One is that I don't have the models, that is a big factor right there :D Also it is nice to have so few static glade guard units. The glade riders might take a turn or two to get on the table, but with multiple shots they still get to shot almost as many times as the glade guard would. I do miss more trueflight arrows, but with hand of glory they hit really well anyway. Their range also helps keep them safe or to get within half range.

Not many opponents see them coming no, and they always let me have hand of glory on them. Sometimes I use two dice on it if I don't need other spells much, but sometimes I just save 1 die for it at the end of the phase. They are very flimsy compared to sisters, so I am considering to take some magic resistance with the high weaver... More on that after the next report.
noneshallpass! wrote:Thanks for sharing your insight. Magic can be a huge waste of points if not planned and played well. I tried High&Shadow yesterday. While needing practise with the lores, I do like the combination so far.
You are welcome, I am still learning myself as this is the first time I run 2 weavers. So far it works well, but it is painful when getting double 1 for the magic phase :(
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-02-07 - Tournament list tryout vs Ogr

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
I was playing against Patrick, the first guy I ever played against in England. It has been a few days since the game, so there may be some details which are a bit fuzzy. I was using the same list as last time, to see what it could do against ogres this time. The list can be seen in the previous report:

List

My opponent’s army was designed for 2000 points, but he added a stonehorn and an ironblaster to get 400 more points. In the end it looked something like this:

Slaughtermaster – level 4 maw, talisman of 4++, dispel scroll
Bruiser BSB
8 ogre bruisers
8 iron guts – full command and banner of swiftness
4 leadbealchers
Sabretusk
Stonehorn
Stonehorn
ironblaster

For spells we rolled:

Slaughtermaster – Bonecrusher, toothcracker, trollguts and the maw
Shadow weaver – miasma, withering, pit of shades and mindrazor
High weaver – hand of glory, soul quench, drain magic and arcane disjunction

Pretty much the perfect spells for me at least, as fiery convocation is not that useful against ogres. We play battle line and I think he chooses the sides. 

Deployment
The battlefield has 3 normal buildings, a ruin which is dangerous terrain to the left and an impassable terrain at the very bottom. The two forests in the middle turn out to be abyssal forests, and mine is a venom thicket. He has a lot more drops than me, so I let him go first. I get too focused on getting my shadow weaver into the waywatchers and end up messing up my deployment pretty bad. Both waywatchers should have focused on mournfang and the weaver should have stayed in the forest in GG1. I also put GE1 and GG2 too close to the deployment line, so that there was no room for wild riders there. This gave me less choice which is never good. He had his fastest elements on the flanks and his blocks in the center. 

Wood Elves Turn 1

Movement: Shadow weaver joins the waywatchers and wild riders move up a bit. I make sure the highweaver is just within 24” of his slaughtermaster. Eagles move into pre-sacrificial position.

Magic: 2+1v1+1. I use all 3 dice for arcane disjunction, I wound his slaughtermaster and destroy his ward save.

Shooting: I kill 2 leadbealchers and they panic. The left waywatchers kill 1 mournfang cavalry. I should have moved something to be able to kill the sabretusk, but nothing could shot it.

Ogres Turn 1

Movement: Everything moves up, sabretusk blocks a direct charge from WR2. Leadbealchers rally. (the skulls on mournfang cavalry was supposed to be last turn).

Magic: Double 6! I dispel bonecrusher on the waywatchers, let him have the bubble +1T and finally I have to use the scroll on the great maw. Ouch!

Shooting: Stonehorn 1 kills a wild rider with his bolt thrower. Stonehorn 2 hits the eagle, but fails to wound. The ironblaster shoots WR1 but the token removes the wound.

Wood Elves Turn 2

Movement: After killing a wild rider with the stonehorn, WR2 was able to charge the mournfang cavalry but lose 1 to dangerous terrain. The glade riders arrive and are joined by the highweaver. I block the iron guts with scouts (should have faced the sabretusk) and a great eagle blocks stonehorn 2.

Magic: Think I get 5 dice or something. I put a pit in the middle of his mages bunker, but it is scrolled. Think I also get hand of glory on glade riders.

Shooting: Not many great targets, due to my deployment. The scouts go for leadbealchers, but fail to do a lot. Left waywatchers go for the ironblaster and do a single wound. Everything else goes for the bruisers and kill off a few, they are toughness 5 at this point.

Combat: There were 4 or 5 wild riders at this point, but they only manage to kill a single mournfang so they are destroyed. 

Ogres Turn 2

Movement: Iron guts charge the scouts and stonehorn 2 charges its eagle. Everything else moves up.

Magic: He gets the toughness spell again.

Shooting: Leadbealchers miss, stonehorn 1 hits but the bolt thrower is absorbed with tokens. I think the iron blaster kills a glade rider.

Combat: Anything in contact with ogres is annihilated, both units overrun. This means stonehorn 2 goes out of the table. 

Wood Elves Turn 3

Movement: Left waywatchers move up the flank to avoid charges, they lose 1 or 2 to dangerous terrain. Glade riders can’t get out of MC charge arc, so go to the corner of shame. I think I should have used the eagle here to enable my glade riders to move up along the flank. GG2 moves into range of bruisers and makes sure they can hide in the building when the stonehorn arrives. The shadow weaver uses moonstone, I should probably have waited a turn to use it though.

Magic: I get pit on bruisers, but it scatters and only hit 2 and they both pass their test! I also get hand of glory on glade riders.

Shooting: I use HODA and everything else on the mournfang and just manage to destroy them. The scouts do 1 wound to the sabretusk, the damn cat is still alive! Leadbealchers die and 4 bruisers are alive at this point.

Ogres turn 3

Movement: Bruisers charge the scouts and the iron guts and stonehorn 1 tries to corner the glade riders. Sabretusk blocks the wild riders. Stonehorn gets onto the field, and threatens the weaver bunker.

Magic: He gets IF on the bubble toughness spell and loses 1 level.

Shooting: I think the ironblaster misses or something. Here he caught me out though, sending a bolt from stonehorn 2 down the flank of the wild riders. 3 die.

Combat: Scouts evaporate. The bruisers reform to face weaver bunker. 

Wood Elves Turn 4

Movement: With the toughness spell up, I decide not to charge the wild riders yet. All glade guard prepare to target stonehorn 2. The glade riders get pushed even more into the corner, scary! I forgot what my plan was with the weaver bunker, I think I was hoping that both waywatchers could take out either the stonehorn 1 or the ironblaster.

Magic: Another low magic phase, nothing particularly interesting happens.

Shooting: I do some wounds to both stonehorns, but not enough to kill them.

Ogres Turn 4

Movement: Stonehorn 1 charges the glade riders, it needs 11 but mainly does so for the terror test. I pass and at least it is a bit less scary with the gleaming pennant in there. Stonehorn 2 catches my scouts, I decide to try my luck with stand and shoot but fail to kill it.

Magic: Can’t remember clearly, but I think he gets off bonecrusher on the waywatchers and kill some of them.

Shooting: He kills a wild rider with the iron blaster, opening up their charge on the bruisers.

Wood Elves Turn 5

Movement: The wild riders charge the bruisers and slaughtermaster. He thought the glade riders were movement 7, but with movement 9 I evade his two units. I put the waywatcher bunker in the right forest, in case he kill the wild riders and charges. Had I put them in the lower forest I might have run off the table.

Magic: I get miasma off on the bruisers, lowering their toughness by 1.

Shooting: The sabretusk finally gets shot!

Combat: I have 4 wild riders remaining at this point, and decide to target the slaughter master with 2 of them. I kill the character, but in the end 4 bruisers remain and they kill a couple of wild riders. He is steadfast and stays. 

Ogres Turn 5

Movement: Stonehorn 2 charges in to finish the wild riders. Iron guts faces the waywatchers while stonehorn 1 and the ironblaster faces the glade riders.

Shooting: He tries a grapeshot but only kills 1 glade rider.

Combat: Wild riders die to impact hits. 

Wood Elves Turn 6

Movement: I charge the ironblaster with the glade riders! Then I move my weaver bunker into the lower forest.

Magic: I put all my dice into mindrazor on the glade riders and it goes off.

Shooting: Stonehorn 2 is shot to death.

Combat: The ironblaster succumbs to strength 9 glade riders, I reform to face the incoming stonehorn charge. 

Ogres Turn 6

Movement: He charges the stonehorn into the glade riders and I decide to stand since I have mindrazor. I forget that he gets a TON of impact hits! The iron guts charge the waywatchers, I flee.

Combat: He does like 6 impact hits, leaving only 4 models alive. I then manage to do 3 wounds on him, leaving him with 1 wound! He targets my high weaver with all 3 rider attacks, they all hit but at least one fails to wound. I pass the break test. 

Post-game

I felt the start of the game was very messy by me. Luckily, the flexibility of the list saved my bacon. Everything is so fast and mobile, that I was able to get things back into my favor. I had low rolls of magic all game, even rolled double 1 twice. I still felt that the combination of shadow and high works very nicely, but it is difficult to get tokens with that few power dice. I also forgot to use my power scroll. I did quite a lot of mistakes, as pointed out during the report. Better to do them now than at the tournament though!

I think my opponent did well, but could have made it harder for me on especially one point. He could have done a better job at covering the forests, so that I couldn’t teleport around so easily. Also, sending the iron guts after the glade riders was also a mistake in my opinion, they were never going to catch them. It was a very close game though, and he really had me sweating several times. In the end, I lost all my special choices and an eagle while he lost everything except two blocks and the BSB and a stonehorn with 1 wound left.

I have been thinking what to change about the list, and I might carve out some things. I will probably remove the champion from the glade riders, this will make it harder to lose my look-out-sir and whether my high-weaver survives an incoming character or not is mainly up to tokens anyway. I am also not sure whether the banners are worth it on the wild riders… the wild riders often end up dying, so the cheaper they are the better plus I would avoid giving up 25 points for losing a banner in close combat. I am not really sure what I would use the points on though, maybe some talismans for the weavers or something.

Overall I am happy with the list and will ponder on the changes before turning it in this weekend. Thanks for reading and do ask questions or make comments if you feel like it.

Lastly, a few pictures from the game:

Left flank ogres turn 1

Right flank ogres turn 1

Ogres getting near, too near!

Glade riders avoid the iron guts
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-02-07 - Tournament list tryout vs Ogr

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi Mollesvinet,
thanks for another nice report.

Out of curiosity, what was the outcome of the match?
You kept all of your characters alive, as well as your Glade Riders unit, the two units of Waywatchers and the two of Glade Guards (all he most valuable ones) so I think you should have won by a decent margin.
Anyway Ogres are good at keeping points when you can't finish their units and I think he still had something like 1200-1300 VP on the table against your 1500-1600. is that right?

I have a couple of questions about the game anyway.

Wild Riders could have had more room to move on the right side, so I would have placed them on that flank or at least centrally (shifting them on the right with vanguard). On the contrary, Waywatchers had their real target on the left flank. What happened?

In turn 2 I can't understand why he elected to overrun out of the table with the Stonehorn. Reforming on the spot, he would have had a nice charge through your backlines, getting one unit of Glade Guards after the other.

In turn 3 why didn't you parked your Eagle in front of the last Mournfangs to block them and thus creating a safe route of escape for your Glade Riders bunker? Were you simply worried of the DT in your path?

Lastly, in turn 6 have you considered to overrun with GR after defeating the Ironblaster? wouldn't you be far enough to flee safely the charge of the Stonehorn, afterall you had swiftstrife to favour your escape too.
What if Mindrazor didn't go off? you would have been in a really bad spot with your general? (you wouldn't have been sure to defeat the IB and you could have recieved the charge of the Monster on the flank)

More in general, I think you should have killed the Sabretusk in your first two turns (I would have shot at it with WW before going for IB and even MC) since it was a real annoyance the whole game.
Your Great Eagle on the left didn't do much if not staying alive. Probabli it could have delayed some of the units closing on your Glade Riders bunker.

On a last note, I know the difficulty to keep up High tokens in good numbers with low magic phases. Probably the Steed helps to treat the Highweaver more like a normal Spellweaver in these situations, where the Unicorn leaves her with a bullseye on te forhead. How have you felt about her without counters? Was it such a great issue? Surely the Stonehorn impact hits would have been soaked up by counters in an optimistic scenario, but you could also have avoided that last charge. There were many other situations in this match where you felt in need of counters?