My Alternative Warhawks

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Loki
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Eldar, Space Wolves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Skaven

My Alternative Warhawks

Post by Loki »

I'm sure that at least some of you are like me and always looking for a decent, cheaper model to help save a buck or two. I found this peregrine falcon model from Schleich and thought everyone might like to see how it fits with a regular glade rider model http://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/toys/wi ... ne_falcon/
The key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.
Look to the Cookie!
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Re: My Alternative Warhawks

Post by kakwah »

I like it.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

It's very useable. Maybe a bit of wash to give it some more depth and a little bit of layering on the claws and beak will make it look good. I have two "toy" eagles, and after a couple of quick fixes I got compliments on how good it was painted at a tournament (non-gw, of course).
Bloodbeard
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Chaos Dwarfs

Post by Bloodbeard »

I've used many toys for conversions in my Chaos Dwarfs army - it's a good and cheap way to go. The tricks is to hide the fact that they are toys and make them look "warhammer".

this eagle model is really good. I would suggest a complete repaint of the model however, that will nicely hide the fact that it's a toy.

Good find!
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

What about using the Nurgle Plague Drones... and paint them up as a sorts of butterfly-ish forest spîrits :)

They come at 48 EUr( yeh, thats right u dollar-users, i count in euro's!!!) for 3.
Comparred to our 17.5EUR per WHR, that's 4EUR in discount (AND an awesome conversion? :))
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Loki
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Eldar, Space Wolves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Skaven

Post by Loki »

These I found for $7 USD a piece. As for painting, I only play with a group of friends, so I typically don't even paint my models. I'll probably just be letting it go as is
The key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.
Look to the Cookie!
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

nXken wrote:What about using the Nurgle Plague Drones... and paint them up as a sorts of butterfly-ish forest spîrits :)

They come at 48 EUr( yeh, thats right u dollar-users, i count in euro's!!!) for 3.
Comparred to our 17.5EUR per WHR, that's 4EUR in discount (AND an awesome conversion? :))
That's actually a really good idea.

A little hit of work with a file, craft knife and some green stuff to smooth out the worst of the pustules, sores etc, and a nice glossy paintjob, could look really good.

I think I might give that a try when I have some spare cash.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Hey Coyle...

Look what I found:
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.be/2013/ ... nes_9.html

These don't realy look too nurgle-esque to me :)

Just swap around the demon on top for a Wild or Glade Rider or so and "kablamoh" you have an awesome war-butterfly and rider :)

Maybe paint em up as a wasp ^^
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Yeah, I was just chatting to my local store manager about this. We got out a box and had a look. It shouldn't be hard to fill in the holes and smooth out the bumps for a nice smooth carapace, and I was planning either a beetle-like black with metallic green/purple/blue (which will contrast nicely with the rest of my army to make them stand out) or moth-like browns and tan (which will fit nicely with the rest of my army).

Definitely gladeriders on top, I have about 20 spare and unassembled.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Awesome! Will you make a log?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

seanr
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by seanr »

I had thought about using Plague Drones too so I'll be very interested to see how yours turn out.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

nXken wrote:Awesome! Will you make a log?
I will, although it will be a few weeks at least before I start, as I have to finish the 3 projects I'm currently working on first (scratch-built waystalkers, Tau missilepod-rifle armed crisis suits, and some eternal guard), as they've been on hold for a couple of months due to a string of expensive breakages (phone, laptop, son's Nintendo DS etc) eating up all my disposable cash.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Ouch, that sucks! My first projects will be:
* repainting my Weaver
* fixing and painting my eagle ( maybe fix some mini's for the twins)
* wild riders
* war dancers

But hey... Christmas is coming ^^
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Opti
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Opti »

Check out my Warriors - Opti's Legion of the Raven God
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

[img]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/a ... 48392f.jpg[/img]

Soon my pretties, soon......
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

OMFG :D
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I'll put more pics up on my project log soon, but I've started.
[img]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/a ... 1ec9eb.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/a ... c6de63.jpg[/img]
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Don't want to sound "fanboy-esque" here, but i am definately looking forward to this :D

Might even fit into some crazy theme with Araloth returning from the alternative plain that's not all that chaos-free :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

nXken wrote:Don't want to sound "fanboy-esque" here, but i am definately looking forward to this :D
I hope so, it was your idea in the first place!
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

True dat!

I'm sorry for not having the skills yet to execute this myself :(
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

One of my main motivations for this conversion (aside from "it's fricking cool!") Is to show that you can make really cool conversions without needing much skill.

Sculpting half of an eagle's body, requires insane sculpting skills, see Tuladin's log for some amazing work with really skilfull sculpting. But that's not the only way to make great looking conversions.

Scraping and filing down bumps, smoothing greenstuff into holes, rounding off the hacked off section of a head and rolling a string of greenstuff into a coiled proboscis takes a bit of imagination, but not much skill. I'm having a little trouble with antennae, but honestly it'd look fine without them.

If you look at those pictures, 90% of the actual "modelling" is already done. Apart from the antennae, I just need to paint it, stick the legs and wings on (I like to paint partially assembled these days), and stick a gladerider on it's back. Done, one cool conversion, requiring minimal skill.

One day soon I'll dig out my half-finished Tau projects and show you some pics. I need some plasticard and plastic rods to finish it off, but my favourite is one of the crisis suits.

He is my support suit, no weapons, just some wargear which improves the effectiveness of his squad's shooting. I need square plastic rods to finish his hands, and some plasticard for the drone, but basically he is in a standing version of this pose: Image

Instead of a table, he is flipping a drone, which has no guns, but I filed part of it's top into a flat surface, and just need the plasticard to add the "lid" to turn it into a Tau version of a laptop, which will of course have the screen painted blue with little white lines representing text appearing across it.

Yes, even in the 41st millennia, the blue screen of death strikes again.

The point is, the entire thing takes ridiculously little skill, just imagination.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

You just made my day Coyle!

As for the antennae... Cut little pieces of steelwire, paste em one on the other... roll it in a thin pancake of greenstuff?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Lol.

I got all inspired earlier, started thinking how cool it would be to make this like a theme. So I started looking online for toy stag beetles to remount my wildriders on.

I thought I'd found one which was a bit big for a wildrider but just right for a stag noble, then I noticed something.

"Materials: Dried insect parts"

Wait, what?

Sure enough, my phone had cut part of the description off the screen, the part with the word "Taxidermy".

Hmmm, let me think about thi....No. Just plain No.

Hey, maybe I can get a stuffed Sparrow for a sisters of twilight conversion.....:-?
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Would that be Captain Jack Sparrow?

Might indeed be a fun side-project tot field a bugsy army :)

Can be done with greenstuff i think... Beetle carapace is all smooth...
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Yeah, I'm definitely considering it, but it might be too much work unless I can find some toy beetles the right size (mixed ones might even be quite fun). I'm about to start a new job, and due to my notice period I'm going to be still doing a few shifts for my old job for the first few weeks, plus I'm about to get Destiny on my Xbox, so time is going to be a rare commodity soon.

The real trick would be to glue the noble to the back of a live stag beetle and train it to move on command.....

"Sorry, but it's a houserule. If the beetle impales your model we roll to wound for stomp. If it bites your models head off, the stomp is considered to have been made with a successful killing blow. Anyway, I'm bringing my forest goblins next week, you aren't arachnophobic are you?"

Edit: I am so fed up with scraping the little bumpy wart things of the limbs of this plague drone. It's not hard, it just takes a while and it's repetitively boring. Atter doing 5 limbs, I'm sitting here staring at the last one, desperately trying to find a reason not to do it. I think I'll do the rider first.