If you go down to the woods today...

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

HadrielCaine
Newcomer
Newcomer

If you go down to the woods today...

Post by HadrielCaine »

... you'd better bring your bandwagon. That's how the rhyme ends right? Let's face it the wood elves have some of THE nicest figures available to WHFB players. They did ten years ago and they do today. I honestly think GW has knocked the recent release out of the park.

I've tried a couple of elf armies over the years, (Asur, Druchii, Dark Eldar in 40k) but I've never quite liked them. I love the models, and the back ground, but painting them has always been too difficult due to the clean lines and bright colours. My recent commission work has seen me improve dramatically as a painter and modeler to the point that although I love my WoC they just aren't up to my current standard. I had started a Bretonnian blog recently but with a lack of new models and a promise to myself that I'd treat each model like a character piece its going to be a long time coming.

My recent commission work has also afforded me the opportunity to play with some of the new plastic elves. This was enough to make me want some. I considered Asur again until I heard the rumours about wood elves. I did some tree demons/ dryads in a recent commission and learnt a lot about basing and priming for forest settings.

So here we are. I love the models, I've enjoyed playing against both High and Dark Elves at recent tournaments and I'd rather like to have something to do in every phase of the game (ie. shooting... not much in WoC).

First up some waywatchers converted from the new eternal guard/ wildwood rangers:

Wild rider champion

I decided to make use of some of the cool Wildwood ranger Glaives since Wild Riders are S4 with spears (5) and Wildwood rangers are S3 with GWs (5)... shouldn't make too many opponents scratch their heads and I think it looks cooler than the spindly little spear he comes with. Also rocking the Shadow Warrior champion head I had earmarked for the BSB. But since the hair is flowing the the wrong direction for the flag... He got to be a unit champ instead. Which is cool because he has facial scarring.

I also think that the worst part of the kit is the fact that the stag's antlers are sprouting from some weird celtic looking triangle. Ok so technically its not a 'stag' per se its a 'steed of Kurnous' so GW can sculpt whatever they want... but it had to go. I couldn't face the poor deer (giggle) looking folorn and anatomically incorrect.

I've just moved into a new place and painting time is a little limited but I have another 7 waywatchers primed and ready to go and LOTS of stuff to build. I may need a little help with lists at some point!!

cheers

A.
Elfboy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: If you go down to the woods today...

Post by Elfboy »

Great painting, but most of all, what fantastic bases!
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Nice work
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Afamrail Droth
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Chaos Dwarfs, WOC, DOC.

Post by Afamrail Droth »

Lovely job on those models especially the autumn base struggling like mad trying to find decent autumn clump foliage like that
There is a serene and settled majesty to woodland scenery that enters into the soul and delights and elevates it, and fills it with noble inclinations.
HadrielCaine
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HadrielCaine »

Thanks guys :) I hope to do a bit of painting tomorrow. I'm struggling with posting more pictures due to the small pixel size allowed on this forum... all my pics are just taken on a phone but seem to be way to large resolution wise... I've got a work around but its a bit involved. More when I figure it out. Also if someone could help me make an avatar that would be appreciated!

@Afamrail Droth- I got mine from Dark Sphere in London. This is the link to the actual clump I use on their webstore: https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=30440&c=563

Its made by Gale force 9 and its great pretty cheap too, they also have a range of other colours and discounted GW stuff...

A.
Dragon halitosis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Dragon halitosis »

That is some very nice painting
HadrielCaine
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HadrielCaine »

Long story short I've had a rollercoaster of a couple of months. Suddenly being single and unemployed took up lots of time...

I've now got a roof over my head and career stuff is going unbelivably well. I started a new job today and couldn't be happier with that side of life.

SO I got a bit of hobby mojo back (helped also by a game with my WoC last week, first of WHFB since March, yuck) and made some wood elves:

The white plastic is reaper bones. I loved the reaper wood elf and am toying with using him as a waystalker.

I don't know if I'll be running a mage on unicorn... but its hella cool. So its getting a model. The other guy is one of my fave models from the WE range. Shout out to Jay from Hard 6 podcast for the mini. It was BNIB :)

@Elfboy- I'm really glad you like the bases. I'm working especially hard at them as my previous army was let down by sub par basing.
Thanks @popisdead and @Dragon halitosis, great name btw.

More soon I hope.

A.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

That is some great looking stuff!

Can you give any suggestions for the waywatchers conversions? After I finish my glade guard it is my next project
Tuladin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Bretonnians, Orcs, Dwarves

Post by Tuladin »

Love your painting and conversions! It's all very clean. The waystalker hat is too pointy for my taste, but otherwise a great miniature.

How dot he paper leaves hold up after priming?
HadrielCaine
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HadrielCaine »

I'm back...

@Cosmos- buy the wildwood rangers and add bows from glad guard. Simples. Embelish with brass etch leaves and bitz from the HE shadow warriors if you can.
@Tuladin- I'm considering shaving the hood down. But I quite like it :P The leaves aren't actually paper they're real tea and oregano leaves. I seal them with either PVA or super glue. Both make them v durable.

I had a couple of days off during the week this week after a manic weekend so I got down to some painting: (excuse the crappy pics, not much light these days)

Wild rider champion. Really happy with how this turned out. Only took two-three hours as well which is ok. Just 13 more to go as a minimum...

I played against the new WE with my WoC for the first time tonight. It was a hard and interesting game. Fortunately my horrible regen and MonInf spam list scraped through 12-8, but I got a good idea of the things I like from the WE book too. Which was useful.

More painting soon I hope.

Adam
liesmith
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by liesmith »

That champion looks great, and the mounts antlers were very well-handled. Awesome model.
HadrielCaine
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HadrielCaine »

With the 50% Lords/ Heroes update to the core rulebook I'm going to be able to realise the non-tournament/ painting army I always wanted- The Court of Athel Loren. This means I'm building Orion and Ariel. In games Ariel will either be a lvl 4 on Eagle or a Dragon depending on how awesome/ large the model ends up.

Here's the work on Orion so far:

WIPs:
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... G_4936.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... G_4937.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... G_4938.jpg

He's based on the Necron C'tan deceiver. The head is from a 54mm sculpt of Orlando Bloom in Kingdom of Heaven (I think by Andrea miniatures but I've had it for years). Various parts from the original Orion which I had left over from my WoC daemon prince conversion. Lots of GS and other gubbins. Cloak made from the GW woods foliage.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do his base. Citadel tree certainly but Possibly cut down and I don't know if I'm going to magnetise him or try to keep it as one piece.

More soon!

A.

@liesmith- Thanks very much- I saw it done by Fanny Crowbar originally I think. Although the non-realistic antlers did irritate me as soon as I saw the new models.
The_Wendol
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The_Wendol »

GREAT WORK! Nice conversions!
"Beware the leader of their warriors, he wears the horns of POWER!"
HadrielCaine
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by HadrielCaine »

Thanks very much @The_Wendol!

Here he is with a bit of primer. I'm still learning about my new home. I should not use spray paints in the evening in my room. I may asphyxiate when I go to bed...

A.
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

HadrielCaine wrote: Here he is with a bit of primer. I'm still learning about my new home. I should not use spray paints in the evening in my room. I may asphyxiate when I go to bed...
Awesome stuff :) I'm completely banned from spraying inside now, stinks the whole house out according to the Mrs :)