"The Fae of the Falls" Escalation Blog

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

SnorriNosebiter
Newcomer
Newcomer

"The Fae of the Falls" Escalation Blog

Post by SnorriNosebiter »

Hi folks my name is Peter Doane I am a student and brand spanking new to this forum. I am starting my first Wood Elf army for a couple of reasons.

1. I like to have a concrete army list before I start buying new figures. (money is pretty tight studying and stuff) As well as acquire feedback on the construction of my army. So come here bandwagon and let me mount you!

2. I am starting an escalation league in roughly 2 months, being a terribly slow painter I wanted to get started. I have a small collection of wood elf figures from 2005 that I regrettably set aside and forgot about. Saving a few bucks of figures will really help me get this army off the ground.

3. I also like to maximize the potential of my Warhammer armies, what I mean by this is.

a. I formulate my preferred army wide strategy
b. I number crunch typically running MSU style armies
c. Play with lots of fluff while trying to maintain a competitive edge

4. Last but not least; you guys have this whole wood elf thing figured out. It would be invaluable to pick your brains and find out the best possible way to crush my enemies.

So the escalation league I am taking part in will be played on Tuesday nights (one of the days I don’t have classes) there are roughly 15-20 participants, many of these players have played Woodies for a decade or two. There are also 5-6 WoC players; some lizard players and a spattering of other armies.
With this is mind I have tailored my list towards high armour and skirmishers. The first round of play is Tuesday Sept 30th at the end of each month they will raise the point cap by 250 finishing at 2500 points. The top 9 armies then play off in a small 1 day event where the winner is awarded prizes alongside best overall and best painted. They also have a painting competition and sportsmanship award on the last week of each month with smaller awards for each. I expect to finish around 8th-9th in the escalation part and fail miserably if I make it to the tournament.

Many players participating in this event are exceptionally good painters (a few of whom have more than one Golden Demon) on a scale of 1-10, 1 being ham fisted four year olds and 10 being golden demon standard. I like to think I land somewhere around 5-6ish a notch above tabletop but a touch below display quality. I plan on going for the painting win! When it comes to tabletop games I regrettably get heated, so I will try my best to behave.

Before I dive into my list and models and plans for basing them etc I am going to write a small fluff piece this is the part of this post you can skip without offending me. For those who enjoy a short read chalked full of Gaelic phrases, places and names; all the while delving back into Scottish mythos hopefully this is for you.
p.s. Fair warning I got a 62 in my creative writing class…. So I kind of suck, enjoy!

“Fae of the Falls”
“It was a warm and humid day not a ray was visible through the thick canopy overhead. A regiment of men marched through the glades of An t-Eilean Sgitheanach. (One of many isolated areas bordering The World’s Edge Mountains.) The Warrior priest halted his men as he dropped to one knee and examined the fallen leaves of the trees around him. Staring back at him among their tapered hues laid a tapered comet, identical to the one he had lost two days prior. The men around him groaned and dropped on their haunches; for it had been three days and nights since they stumbled into the glen. Few had slept more than a wink, every time they broke for camp the woods awoke.

It started with branches whipping the men, and then came the howls. The tranquility of the day shattered by the hostility of the night, every direction beasts corralled the men. Those that were offered the chance to sleep refused. When dawn broke each day the relief of light was short lived, as they walked, climbed, swam and crawled their way through the woods. It shifted never giving ground, not so much as a rabbit’s path.

On the dawn of the fourth day The Warrior priest woke to the smell of fire, it seemed a camp fire had burned a swathe of trees around the camp. Through the thicket appeared a river, at the base of this river stood a waterfall, dropping from a rocky outcrop high up in the trees. The men rushed to a pool collecting beneath the falls. The next few hours saw the battling of fire and the pleasure of their new found respite. As the sun crested the autumn stricken branches a new noise gallivanted through the air.

The glen exploded with the howls and war cries of Wild Riders (finding a cool name for them suggestions are welcome) tearing through the wood. They smashed into their foe with grotesque efficiency butchering and maiming all in sight. The men fumbled for their weapons clumsily flailing their halberds and waving their muskets. As they began to rekindle their temperament the riders disappeared into the dusk leaving behind a ragged trail of body parts.
The warrior priest chanted and his divine presence steadied his troops, managing to order them into what seemed a defensive position. Then came the storm; the air was alive with bow fire. Hundreds of arrows plummeted into the halberdiers ranks felling men in droves. Those who were not struck down dove into the cooling embrace of the river to escape certain death. As they dropped into the pool the waters lit up and the numbing sounds of ancient Fae assailed their senses. Rotting their minds and rooting their limbs until all perished beneath the Faerie falls. “

Anyways thanks to those who read the passage I plan on making more excerpts from time to time, now on to the list.

1250 points Escalation League Wood Elves “The Fae of the falls”

Heroes – 258

Spell Singer – 150
Lev 2
Dispel Scroll

Glade Captain – 108
Hail of Doom Arrow
Hagbane Arrows

Core – 330

10 Glade Riders – 220
True Flight Arrows
Standard
Musician

5 Glade Riders – 110
True Flight Arrows
Musician

Special – 432

5 Wild Riders – 160
Shields
Standard
Banner of Eternal Flame

8 Deepwood Scouts – 136
Hagbane Arrows

8 Deepwood Scouts – 136
Hagbane Arrows
Rare – 230

9 Waywatchers – 180

Great Eagle – 50

Total – 1250

My hope with this list is to deploy the mage with my Waywatchers in our free wood, supported by one of the scout units. I will be placing this wood on either my right or left flank 6” from the centre. This I will use to deny a flank keeping my wildriders around one side. The other scout unit will deploy with my captain to hopefully blow up a priority target using the HODA. The eagle is for redirecting goodness, and any unit is expendable enough to throw at something scary hopefully slowing it down. This army plays for a strong third or fourth turn where I can hopefully swing the tide of battle.
As for what figures I have, they are a medley of abused plastic I pulled out of my closet. I managed to salvage,

23 Gladeguard/scouts
7 Glade Riders
26 Dryads
10 Wardancers including command
Treeman
90’s style eagle and spell caster
2 crappy hero conversions

All in all not much but it’s a start and it will hopefully save me a few bucks. Over the next week or two I will be painting a test figure from the unsalvageable pile and I will post the results. A few questions before I finish here.

1. What should I get to beef this list up to 2500 points?
2. Should I keep posting these small fluff pieces?
3. What can I improve upon with my list?
4. Suggestions for colours, autumn themed.

Thanks for Reading,
Beannachd leibh, (goodnight/good bye in Gaelic)
-Snorri Nosebiter
SnorriNosebiter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: "The Fae of the Falls" Escalation Blog

Hi folks im back with a small update, I found some time yesterday to paint up a test figure with an autumn theme as well as a summer themed Wardancer. Drop a comment and let me know what you think.

p.s. Sorry about the thumbnails being mia I had the photos over the allotted size for the forum I will change that for next time!

Beannachd Leibh,

-Snorri Nosebiter

Front and Back #Wardancer
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01453.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01449.jpg

Medley of tormented/abused plastic, some greenstuff and repairs needed.
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01541.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01540.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01539.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01538.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01537.jpg

Test Figure autumn themed.
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01536.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01535.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01534.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... C01533.jpg
BAMM216
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by BAMM216 »

I really like the paint jobs on your Wardancer and Glade Guard. They stand out on their own but still blend in with their bases. Well done!
SnorriNosebiter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thank you very much BAMM, I was so excited to get a reply! Do you think I should continue with the autumn theme or a more winter themed paint job?
BAMM216
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by BAMM216 »

Thats a hard choice because they are both a stark contrast from spring/summer themes. Fall seems so vibrant and winter has a menacing look in my opinion. I'd have to flip a coin personally...
SnorriNosebiter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Well heads has spoken seems fall is the palette of choice this time around! Thanks for the replies Bamm.

Beannachd Leibh

-Snorri Nosebiter
BAMM216
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by BAMM216 »

I can't wait to see them!
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

SnorriNosebiter wrote: 1. What should I get to beef this list up to 2500 points?
2. Should I keep posting these small fluff pieces?
3. What can I improve upon with my list?
4. Suggestions for colours, autumn themed.
1. Well Wild riders,way watchers and glade guard are all fantastic. I would recommended having lots of them. A treeman can be brutal and I am personally a huge fan of eternal guard.
2. Definitely. Posting and writing fluff brings your army alive and makes you feel more connected to your units especially if you feel you have campaigned with them. I write a small fluff piece after each game I play.
3. It seems like a pretty decent list. Honestly you could love that list and not want to change it but generally you will only learn by playing games. The only immediate thing is that you will most likely switch up the amount of true flight and hagbane arrows. Its always a fine balance getting the right combo.
4. Try a few test models and obviously use a lot of browns and reds. You could always go into games workshop and get some opinions from the staff there.
SnorriNosebiter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hey Bamm It's been a long week sorry for not replying right away; thanks for your support and I will make sure you love them!

BlackCat thank you for your post I took a closer look at the codex and it seems I screwed up the points total on my list >< (im an arts major ;) ).
I really like the feel of Wildriders 100% risky but can pay off tenfold, Waywatchers seem a little bit cheesy I may not add more to my list. I really like the look of the new Treemen however their stats seem a bit underwhelming. Do you have any experience with converting the new models, I am fairly adept at sculpting.
What do you enjoy about eternal guard, they seem like boosted up Spearmen which do not tickle my fancy.
With the increased activity on the forum I have noticed many people seem to gravitate towards the autumn themed Wood Elves. There are also 3 Armies who are autumn themed at my local GW, thus I am concerned about looking the same as everyone else. I might be painting a summer themed army. Any color suggestions?

Till next time guys,
-Beannachd Leibh
SnorriNosebiter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi folks I am back, this week saw me looking for a new job :confused: . I made up my mind and decided to go with a winter themed army and finished my test fig! I also sculpted the base for my spellweaver/singer. And painted a wardancer because the models are sexy! On to the good stuff hope you enjoy!
Front, Test Fig
Front, Test Fig
Profile, Test Fig
Profile, Test Fig
Rear, Test Fig
Rear, Test Fig
Stump
Stump
Stump #2
Stump #2
Wardancer, Front.
Wardancer, Front.
Wardancer, Rear.
Wardancer, Rear.
Alright sorry about the Wardancer pics they came out terribly. I hate how pictures always make the paintjob look horrid :cry: . Anyways hope you like them and I will do my best to paint a few more this weekend. Till next time!

Beannachd Leibh,
Snorri Nosebiter