Moonstone in waywatchers?

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

thunderbow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Moonstone in waywatchers?

Post by thunderbow »

I believe that this has been already brougt up before but I couldn't find the relevant thread. So, the question at hand is whether or not I could put a spellweaver with moonstone in a unit of WW and deploy them as if they were normal troops. Or to put it differently- is the scouts' deployment rule optional or mandatory? Thanks in advance. :)
"It is easy to stride The Right Path"
(Lao Tse)
Boskie43
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Moonstone in waywatchers?

Post by Boskie43 »

Scouts deployment is not optional in 8th Ed.

What you can do if you'd like is put the moonstone character in a small GG unit and deploy the scouts/waywatchers right next to the GG unit. Turn one hop the character over.
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by UKlvrBM »

I am not sure what you mean by scout deployment being optional. Scout just allows you to place your units outside your deployment zone, 12 inches from an enemy unit. It doesn't say that you can't deploy them in your zone.

So, what you want to do is deploy them in your free wood. Deploy your mage in a unit close to them so that he can move up and join the unit first turn. Then begin your moonstoning.
Boskie43
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Boskie43 »

Scouts deploy AFTER normal deployment. This isn't optional. Yes they can deploy in your own deployment zone if you so wish. But because of when characters (without the scout rule) deploy his Mage cannot start in the unit.

That's what he was asking.
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by UKlvrBM »

Oh, sorry. Yes, they deploy after normal units and characters.

I answered how you would remedy the situation and get you weaver in with your WW though. It still applies.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I've tried this and it's good, you just have to be careful.

You could deploy Waywatchers and mage 20" apart then meet in a wood half-way and teleport.