Cavalry Wood Elves Tactica

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

gmaleron
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Cavalry Wood Elves Tactica

Post by gmaleron »

Hey guys just as the title suggests this Tactica thread is dedicated to the idea of a pure/heavy Cavalry army of Wood Eves and its effectiveness on the battlefield, a "Super Sethalya" style of army. I ran a similar list with Dark Elves (back when I was considering playing them) and it did really well, however I think that Wood Elves cold do it better, especially with access to all the magical arrows and great units at our disposal. From my point of view the x2 Primary units that would make up this army:

-Wild Riders: Obvious choice here for this style of army and easily one of if not the best choices available in our new Book. With a slew of frenzied S5 attacks on the charge (S4 for the mounts) this guys hit like a ton of bricks and would be the primary special choice for this style of army. Units ranging from x7-x14 (including potential Characters added in) seem to be the most popular sized units at the moment as they maximize the number of attacks dished out on the charge.

-Glade Riders: The other obvious choice for this style of army these guys are some of if not the best Fast Cav in the game thanks to their Asrai Spears and Bows. With Trueflight Arrows (the best option IMO to equip them with) they are always hitting on 3's or equip them with Hagbane (another great choice) to make them better suited for Warmachine and Monster hunting. The only questionable thing about these guys is the "ambushers" special rule which is both looked at as a Good and Bad thing. Good because they can come in and potentially really mess up your opponents plans, and bad because it takes away from the volume of shots your army has on the table to start the game.

Now a quick Breakdown of the other Army Book units that could (at least IMO best support this army):

-Glade Guard/Scouts with Hagbane Arrows: A few units of these guys with the Combination of Glade Riders and Wild Riders go a long way in ensuring that peoples Warmachines and Monsters take some wounds before potentially being engaged. Also really helps with the number of shots being put downrange turn 1 since your Glade Riders are off the board.

-Waywatchers: Easily one of the best units in our Book you could never go wrong with a few units of these guys putting shots downrange in support of your Cavalry and Glade Riders. In this style of list however you would want to potentially limit how many you take in order to take some Treemen (will explain next).

-Treemen/Ancient/Durthu: These guys would be an excellent addition to your army (would want at least x2) especially in support of your Wild Riders. Thanks to stubborn in combination with Wild Riders you could tie up big blocks of infantry and by being stubborn help insure you never lose the combat through casualties. Best idea would be to throw one of these bad boys into combat then have your Wild Riders or Glade Riders even hit them either in the same or following turns.

-Sisters of the Thorn: Easily one of the best Mage Bunkers take a unit of these for your level 4 and potentially other Characters.

-Warhawk Riders: Fast Flyers with Killing Blow on the Charge these guys go a long way in regards to your Warmachine Hunting ability and support for your combat units, also can easily keep up.

-Great Eagles: Cheap and solid re-directors and Warmachine hunters, however the are competing with Treemen and Waywatchers so they almost didn't get put on here but still can really see their use.

Now a quick breakdown of particular Magic Items:

-Acorn of Ages: Great in this style of army for a few reasons. To obstruct your opponents shooting (in particular against potential shooting heavy armies like Dwarves, other Elves, Empire ect), to negate steadfast of big blocks of infantry and for some potential Moonstone shenanigans.

-Moonstone: A sneaky choice that I don't think many people would expect with a Cavalry heavy army (and I want to thank King Leonidas for this idea). The idea is to give your BSB/a Glade Captain the Moonstone and stick him with a unit of Wild Riders (note that you would NEED the Acorn for this). Depending on where the Acorns Woods end up this could give you a multitude of options for setting up charges and moving around the battlefield quickly making this already fast moving army even faster!

Now I want to make a few things clear, just because I did not mention certain units does NOT mean that they would not be a good fit with this style of army, I just put down the Units and Magic Items that I believe could be/are essential to this style of list. This is exactly the idea for this thread is to discuss what you guys think would be great benefits to a Pure/Heavy Cavalry Wood Elf army and the best way to run such an army. Let the discussion begin!