Eagle characters; can they go into units of warhawks or not?

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Eagle characters; can they go into units of warhawks or not?

Post by Avian »

As the title says can I put a character on a great eagle into a unit of warhawks? On the face of it I should be able to, it's a character mounted on a monstrous beast going into a unit of monstrous cavalry with the same base size, brilliant job done lets shove the twins in there and mess with people.

However, I have seen several people on the forums saying that a character can't join the warhawks, if this is the case why not? I've checked my brb and not found anything to suggest I can't do this but this just makes me think I've missed something. Can someone clarify this for me please?
MarkM
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Eagle characters; can they go into units of warhawks or

Post by MarkM »

No. No one can join a unit of flyers. See BRB under Flyers.
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

I'm looking at the "fly" rule on pg 70 and can't see that anywhere and "flyers" aren't listed in the index. Can you give me a page reference please?
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Ah, got it now on page 97. never mind
Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Dwarves, Wood Elves, Tyranids

Post by Fitz »

Also, they're not on the same base size are they? 50mm for a GE and 40mm for a WH.
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Eagles are on a 40mm. The metal great eagles that are still sold for high/wood elves come in a 40mm

EDIT: Actually having checked this seems to be a total can of worms with GE base sizes some people say 50, some 40 and there's not a definitive answer. I would say 40 as they're a monstrous beast not a monster but from what I've read there's very little consensus on this one!
Last edited by Avian on 06 Jun 2014, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Avian wrote:Eagles are on a 40mm. The metal great eagles that are still sold for high/wood elves come in a 40mm

No, they don't. The only Great Eagles you can get from GW now (at least in the UK) are these ones and they come on 50mm bases.

The only Eagles that have ever come on 40mm bases are the old "War Eagles", which are models from 5th Edition Warhammer...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Bother. That's quite annoying I shall have to rebase my eagles then, it's especially annoying as I had checked with the store manager where I play before basing them. Ah well, I had been planning on converting up some warhawks anyway...
Tropic
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons (Slaanesh-heavy), Tyranids, Eldar

Post by Tropic »

On a related topic, can you join a character on a Great Eagle to a unit of Great Eagles? I noticed the new rulebook changed the unit size for Great Eagles from 1 to 1+.
InstantKarma
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Warhammer: Wood Elves|Warhammer 40k: Tau & Blood Angels

Post by InstantKarma »

Tropic wrote:On a related topic, can you join a character on a Great Eagle to a unit of Great Eagles? I noticed the new rulebook changed the unit size for Great Eagles from 1 to 1+.
Sadly nope. Flying Characters, no matter how they are flying, cannot join a flying unit of any kind.

Doesn't make any sense but, such is GW.

I think there was some joke that if you argued you could do that, all the Brettonian players with Pegasus Paladins would start throwing their knights at you in frustration :D

Course it gets even wierder when you look at a character like Tik'Taq'To in the Lizardmen book, and he has a magic item that is supposed to confirm Ambushers onto his unit of Terradon riders, as well as give the Terradons in said unit his WS...and yet, he is prohibited from joining a unit of Terradon Riders!
A project with two of my friends on being new to Warhammer Fantasy.
http://taleof3wargamers.wordpress.com/
seanr
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by seanr »

Heh, that Tik'Taq'To one is crazy, I completely overlooked that.

Just to add, even though a character on a Great Eagle can't join Warhawk Riders, they can fly nearby and get a Look Out Sir save, though the Warhawk Riders will need to be at least 5 rank-and-file strong.
Maeglin
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves , Dogs of War/Empire, Space Wolves, Raven Guard, Crimson Fists, Word Bearers/Night Lords

Post by Maeglin »

Isn't Tik'Taq'To the exception to the rule? In that he (it?) has a separate rule allowing the joining of Terradons. Or was that the previous army book?
Follower of the Trickster God.
mjHession
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by mjHession »

Yeah, it's really silly in some cases. My wife plays Brets and half the time I just let her Pegasus paladin Juan a unit of Pegasus knights rather than hear her complain about how stupid the rule is.
InstantKarma
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by InstantKarma »

Maeglin wrote:Isn't Tik'Taq'To the exception to the rule? In that he (it?) has a separate rule allowing the joining of Terradons. Or was that the previous army book?
Previous book. Current book doesn't explicitly list an exception for him. Unless some Lizardmen players have figured it out otherwise.
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

Do people really not let tik taq to join terradon riders?
InstantKarma
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by InstantKarma »

Zimmonda wrote:Do people really not let tik taq to join terradon riders?
I was under the impression that while his rules imply he should be in a unit, that since he was not given an explicit exemption from the rule in the BRB that some people do not.
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

InstantKarma wrote:
Zimmonda wrote:Do people really not let tik taq to join terradon riders?
I was under the impression that while his rules imply he should be in a unit, that since he was not given an explicit exemption from the rule in the BRB that some people do not.
Thats kinda messed :(
nated4444
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE DoC orks 40k

Post by nated4444 »

this is somewhat related so can a flier say (naestra and arahan) join a unit of calvery say.... sisters?
thanks
Ioreth Starmantle wrote: Hmm, the Asur never leave home without the Book of Hoeth, the Druchii love their Tome of Furion. We now have one that suits us very nicely(book of asur). Time to start an Elf book club (that means we club each other with books).
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

Probably no, but even if they could they would no longer be able to fly so the whole unit would move at Gwindalor's base speed which would be 2".
dg1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by dg1 »

The reason a mounted character cannot join a unit of flyers is because the skirmisher special rule in the BRB says characters on mounts cannot join a unit of skirmishers (BRB, p. 77). Units with more than one model with the fly special rule count as skirmishers (BRB, p. 70). The reason for this was originally assumed to be that the skirmishers were infantry but GW specifically issued an FAQ for Bretts saying that the Brett characters on pegs could not join a peg knight unit. GW also did not FAQ the rules for skink chiefs on terradons (nor ripperdactyls either). GW should have issued an FAQ or errata saying that characters on flying mounts my join flying units of the same unit type. Also, on page 97 of the BRB it says a character cannot join a unit of flyers (due to too many ill-disciplined wings) unless otherwise stated.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

nated4444 wrote:this is somewhat related so can a flier say (naestra and arahan) join a unit of calvery say.... sisters?
thanks
Yes, so long as they're not riding a Monster. Can be useful against BS shooting for example.
mjHession
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by mjHession »

Phil Rossiter wrote:
nated4444 wrote:this is somewhat related so can a flier say (naestra and arahan) join a unit of calvery say.... sisters?
thanks
Yes, so long as they're not riding a Monster. Can be useful against BS shooting for example.
True, but I do think Domine Now is correct in saying...
Domine Nox wrote:Probably no, but even if they could they would no longer be able to fly so the whole unit would move at Gwindalor's base speed which would be 2".
Masternecrotect
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: tomb kings and wood elves

Post by Masternecrotect »

The reason he cant join is that the warhawks are flying cav. Unit the same reason a Bret lord on peg cant join. Lizards tiq taq toe can join terradons because they aren't flying cav. Also the eagle is on a 50mil base not 40
nated4444
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE DoC orks 40k

Post by nated4444 »

isn't the cavalry 25 by 50 though
Ioreth Starmantle wrote: Hmm, the Asur never leave home without the Book of Hoeth, the Druchii love their Tome of Furion. We now have one that suits us very nicely(book of asur). Time to start an Elf book club (that means we club each other with books).
mjHession
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by mjHession »

Masternecrotect wrote:The reason he cant join is that the warhawks are flying cav. Unit the same reason a Bret lord on peg cant join. Lizards tiq taq toe can join terradons because they aren't flying cav. Also the eagle is on a 50mil base not 40
By this logic an eagle rider could join a unit of eagles...