The Brine Woods.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: The Brine Woods.

Post by Malkrit »

Pfff you measly creature, I wasn't talking to you!
Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Chaos Warriors & Beastmen, Bretonnians, Dark elf, Empire & Orcs & Goblins

Post by Allendor »

Thanks for the record your dragon got my vote PM contest.
He is a great looking model but I will have to wait a while.
He is also a lot of money and I just spent a lot on the book and cards.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves

Post by robtion »

@Malkrit: he he, measly. You're funny :thumbsup:

@Allendor: Yep tell me about it. Its not a cheap hobby ;)

Since dryads got such a boost in killing power in the new book I thought I would post a small wip of the unit I am working on :nod:
Pigey
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Pigey »

robtion wrote:@Malkrit: he he, measly. You're funny :thumbsup:

@Allendor: Yep tell me about it. Its not a cheap hobby ;)

Since dryads got such a boost in killing power in the new book I thought I would post a small wip of the unit I am working on :nod:
Am I right if I say that you used some Preying Mantis? If this is the case, tat was my idea too! Good to see it works.
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

robtion wrote:Since dryads got such a boost in killing power in the new book...
:D :thumbsup:
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

Test model for my dryads. Any thoughts/comments on the color scheme? Inspiration for the white face from SpanielBear and his great plog Carodinixe's March.
Image[/URL

[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/robtion/media/IMG_20140525_184852_zpscd8aea5f.jpg.html]Image

Also as punishment for failing to win the painting challenge she was entered in my spellsinger was transformed to the dark side to join the ranks of my VC army. She will now re-join her elven brethren as a shadow caster.ImageURL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/robti ... b.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
SpanielBear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SpanielBear »

Aww, thanks for the shout-out, dude! This plog is great, I especially love the stumpy Treekin. I like them with their bulk, it emphasises their Toughness which has always seemed their strongest characteristic. Your painting is top-notch too. :)

On the dryad, I am aware that we are going for almost conficting paint-styles- mine very bright and cartoony, yours more understated and sinister. That dark theme works great with your models, and I like it a lot. All that said, I think the dryad does need something to make her pop. The white face draws attention to the head and emphasises the features (hence why I did it ;) ), but it's also quite a neutral colour. Maybe a slightly brighter green for her leaves, or more contrasting colours on her spite?

Either way, the model itself looks great, it has a great sense of motion and energy. I look forward to seeing the regiment done! :)
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@Spanielbear: Thanks for the comment/feedback. I did some more tinkering with the colours. Thoughts?
SpanielBear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SpanielBear »

Ho-ly £@#%!!!!!

Well, that knocks it out of the park. That's umm...

Yeah, that's good. :crazy:

The Daemonette(? Tyranid? Both? Something else?) bits and the dryads make for a really twisted array of branch ladies. The brighter colours keep the idea that these are nature spirits rather than out-and-out daemons nicely, while still being scary and nightmarish.

Believe it or not, I had the idea of doing unit filler with a dryad stepping out of a tree. Mine would probably be more... sedate, though. Yours look like a screaming cavalcade of enraged harridans. Awesome, awesome work!

MOREMOREMORE!!!!
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@Spanielbear: Thanks a lot for the encouraging comment :D They are Raging Heroes Mantis Warriors mixed with dryad bits. Glad you like the colours, I was going for dark and menacing yet still suitably foresty. Few more pics here I will post more once I finished the rest of the unit, may take some time though.
URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/robti ... b.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
ImageImage
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

very nice and feral. They are stepping right out of the wildwood!

you might want to straighten up thta poor birdie though, he looks like he is about to fall asleep and fall of the branch ;)
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

Yep I will take another look at the bird, does look a bit wonky :crazy:

Bit of a cheat update, just darkened up this guy a bit, and gave a more pallid skin tone. Looks a lot better I think.
Somewhat darker spell singer/druid.
Somewhat darker spell singer/druid.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

A very nice army. I think my favourite so far is the Forrest Dragon. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it somehow reminds me of the monsters in the Deltora Quest series (and as I have many fond childhood memories of those books, that's a very big plus in my eyes). I'm also interested to read more about the backstory behind these Wood Elves (and just how that bunny fits into it all).
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

They look fantastic! :D

I love the dragon and the last pic of the wizard!
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
SoDope7
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by SoDope7 »

the elven archer looks nice, where did you get it?
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@SoDope7 From Reaper minis ;)
@Kakapo42 @Gwill_of_the_Woods Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

Not exactly a WE update but it includes a treeman of sorts so I thought I would post a PIC or two here for anyone interested.

Background: Rupture, Burrower of the Dark Woods (Zombie Dragon).

Before the darkness crept into the forest an abundance of creatures made it their home. Chief among them an ancient treeman, Oacyning, protector of the enchanted woods. For centuries he defended the forest from all manner of intruders, the most terrible of them his nemesis, the great dragon Morw. Their final battle ended both of their lives, their smouldering, broken remains lying together in a long forgotten glade, in the darkest depths of the woods.

In as cruel twist of fate, in death the two mortal enemies have now been melded together into a horrific burrowing Wyrm known as Rupture. The twisted vampire lord who controls this beast carries with him an enchanted scroll allowing him to become ethereal at will, facilitating his travel through the earth along with his horrific mount.
IMG_20140730_154559.jpg
IMG_20140730_170823.jpg
IMG_20140730_172544.jpg
IMG_20140730_172950.jpg