1200 point warm up against ogres!

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

1200 point warm up against ogres!

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

My buddy plays Brets but opted to go with ogres for my first game with the new rules. Gentleman's agreement to forsake magic users.

Wood Elves VS Ogres 1200

Wood Elf army:
6 units of GG in 2x6 formations, HagBane arrows=180pts/unit=1080pts
1 Great Eagle=50pts
1 Glade captain w/ HagBane + GW - (replace 1 GG w/HB)= 67pts
Total= 1197pts

Ogres Army:
3 units of IG, in 2x3 formation
1 unit of LB, 4 models
1 unit of MC, 2 models
1 unit of gnoblar, 6x3
1 generic ogre hero

Ogres won first deployment, and placed up on the line in order to quickly close distance. From my left to right: IG, LB, IG w/hero, Gnoblar, MC, IG
Seeing how far to my right he placed his MC, I bunched up my 6 units of GG in a strait line 35" away from his line, as far to the left side of my table as I could be. Forests and a barn were between the Ogres directly across from me. In the center of the table and to my right, a hard-cover and movement-disrupting fence separated all my GG from his MC, and the IG next to them. My Hero joined with my right-most GG unit, my eagle waited from the back.

First Turn:
Went to me. I moved 5 of my GG units forward 5" (one wasn't able to make it within shooting range), Poison arrows do damage from left to right, killing a model from his LB and IG w/hero units. Needed a 6 to hit with most of the shots (movement, over half-range, soft cover), but rolled really well. Armor piercing makes his IG saves 6+, he was not happy.

Ogres 1st Turn: whole ogre army moves forward, LB shoots 3d6 shots at GG w/hero. 2 Elves die.

Second Turn:

Elves: Move back and pivot from advancing Ogres, Eagle flies behind barn for cover. Shooting goes GREAT, 2 Ogres die from IG unit w/hero (but pass panic) and 1 ogre dies from advancing left most IG unit. Waste some shots against the MC behind the hardcover fence.

Ogres: Continue Rabid Advance. He has me effectively trapped, but the hard-cover fence has his MC still 2 turns away from an effective charge, and the IG behind them are out of the fight (wont be able to close on me before the end of turn 6). I can't retreat up my left side of the table without first killing the 6 IG ogres rushing down that side. His hero leaves the weakened IG unit and joins with the LB.

Third Turn:

Elves: Weak shooting phase, only a few sporadic wounds to the advancing Ogres to my right. Wasted shots against MC, wounded the left-most IG twice, killed 1 LB.

Ogres: 2d6 shots from LB to my GG w/hero, no wounds. MC sneaking around the hardcover fence, left-most IG charges my left-most GG, who stand and shoot and kill 2 ogres. They fail a panic-check and retreat. I've run out of space to maneuver.

Turn Four:

Elves: Eagle moves to redirect the inevitable MC charge. I use bad placement. GG w/ hero moves up 5" to hide flank from MC. Remaining GG pivot and shoot, Killing 1 LB, and I IG on the left. Wound MC once. Things are starting to look bad...

Ogres: Charges all over the place. MC want to charge past my eagle in 2nd right-most unit of GG, but fail. GG stand and shoot, and 1 of the 2 go down! Left-most Ogres move into a safe charge range, and gnoblar charge my GG w/hero who stands and shoots and ASF them from 18 to 7, suffer no wounds. Gnoblars retreat.

Turn Five:

Elves: Epic mop up. Great shooting phase kills all but 1 of his left-most IG, and with 4 more volleys left against his now seriously weakened ogre units, and the stand-n-shoot waiting them on his turn, my opponent concedes before the end of my turn! Victory by Attrition!
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Re: 1200 point warm up against ogres!

Post by overtninja »

Good job against the Ogres, I've found them to be quite beatable since they don't have much armor to speak of, and WE don't have trouble generating wounds even with the old book against them - especially true now that we've got some bite in CC. Kudos!
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Yeah it was my first game with the new book, and I didn't realize my GG couldn't march and shoot anymore. He dominated movement and it was looking bad for me most of the game. In the end, thanks to the hagbane arrows, I was able to finish them off and only lose 2 models from one GG unit.
AoS is the greatest!
Maeglin
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves , Dogs of War/Empire, Space Wolves, Raven Guard, Crimson Fists, Word Bearers/Night Lords

Post by Maeglin »

Well done on the victory but...
Nicholas Nitro wrote:I didn't realize my GG couldn't march and shoot anymore
, when have we ever been able to do that?
Follower of the Trickster God.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Maeglin wrote:Well done on the victory but...
Nicholas Nitro wrote:I didn't realize my GG couldn't march and shoot anymore
, when have we ever been able to do that?
Oh mad bad, looks like "Asrai Archery" only removed the move-n-shoot penalty. Oops.
AoS is the greatest!
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

I don't know Ogres that well. What are IG?
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Sidewinder wrote:I don't know Ogres that well. What are IG?
Iron Guts
AoS is the greatest!