win number 1 (now considering modified lists)

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

win number 1 (now considering modified lists)

Post by Sunshine coconut »

Hello kinlords

I hope that the days leading up the the UK solstice (21st of June) are going smoothly and you are well excited for the rebirth of our King.

So I just spent 12 hrs reading and discussing wood elves, got a game and then debrief. Thought it might be worth a share. I've also just finished reading up on 115 posts from you guys over past few days, thought I'd add some ideas I liked from it all.

List

My list was:

2500pts
Glade Lord:
Acorn of ages
swift shiver shards

Life weaver
lvl 4
Ammy pres
d.scroll

5 way stalkers

BSB
Hoda
Shield swift shiver

10 GG
muso
true flight arrows

10 GG
muso

38 EG
FC

2*15 way watchers

His army consisted of a large block of dragon knights, 3 flying characters, 2 sky cutter chairots, 2 big blocks of sea guard, a bolt thrower and a lord caster and BSB

Beginnings

I guess this list was very much on the fly. I agree with most comments regarding how amazing the new Way watchers are and the way stalkers although pricey definitely add a scary element to the army.

As for the horde of EG, I really like hordes. I've recently taken up close to 10k pts of ogres, and am waiting on the opportunity to field 3 ogre hordes in one game (2 normal, 1 Iron guts).

My currently successful tactic in Wood elves is to castle up in one flank and get my combat blocks to hold the edge of my gun line. This has proven to be quite successful against our pompous and deluded brethren at least. since EG models look so amazing, I thought I better try them out. They actually fulfill the roll I'm looking for perfectly. A block that just holds ground regardless of wounds until the last man exhales.
But it seems not many people are keen on hordes (probs for uber spell deltering).

I've heard of a few ideas on how to deal to the acorn of ages, I'm gonna have to think a bit more on it. In this game I got 2 forests + my free forest. I essentially kept my options open Chucked one in each deployment zone (vemon thickets) this gave me best possibility of getting at least one extra forest to get some bonuses from.

the game

#) The game itself went very well. Lots of ups and downs. I forgot to get my free shoot off against his general. We blew up both our lord mages. Hail of doom killed a massive 2 sea guard.
#) The snipers were not too bad. I had a hard time rolling to wound on a 4+ and he got a lot of 6+ WS. I'm definitely keen to keep them going, not sure if 5 is necessary. I ended up splitting them into two groups. 2 to take down some of the dragon princes and a few of the eagle heros. The other three were gunning the lightly armoured BSB and mage.
#) The way watchers were scary. you could tell in my opponents eyes. I managed to take out the dragon princes with one of the units alone. Both units ended up failing their Ld Checks (one was stubborn in a forest, lost by 1, fled... still at 13 models remaining) the other when the mage blew herself up.
#) the EG took a 4 unit charge (poor generalling on my behalf) 2 chariots in the flank and the two sea guards in the front. Lost 9 to impact hits. BUT STUBBORNNESS IS AMAZING. I eventually broke all 4 units granted some horrible horrible rolling on his behalf.

Ultimately the victory swung both ways many times. But WEs eventually won out :)

changes

I'm honestly thinking of dropping down to a single unit of 20 way watchers. Some elves here have talked of adding a character with some MR to the unit. I'm tempted to do the same. I didn't like using my D scroll to stop Doom bolt.
Also I'd like to get a lvl 1 beast wizard into the EG unit. I know that unit isn't very killy at all, and that today's game was a bit of luck. I'd like to bump it's powers a bit.
The sisters of the thorn excite me a bit. I could definitely use some extra versatility (I know I lack it a fair bit atm) so gonna rewrite and see if I can get even just a unit of 5 in there :)

Farewells

I hope you are all as excited as I am about this new book. I intend to keep a close eye on this site to check what you are all up too. I'm loving how many possibilities have opened to us now :)

Be well asrai.
Last edited by Sunshine coconut on 04 May 2014, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: win number 1 with the new and improved elves

Post by frogboy »

Nice one Coconut, hope to hear more exploits soon and to see some names added to that list in your signature :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
viggo3000
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by viggo3000 »

A nice read. You seems to have a diferent taste than me in armybuildning.
How do you think that the army will handle rushing WOC with princes, chimeras and chariots. I fear that your small amount of units will let him run to manny point over.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

A glade lord just fitted with acorns seems like a high price to pay. I suppose he does provide ld10 bubble, but you could have gotten that with standard of discipline. Peronally i think the points could have been better spend on a level 1/2 caddie and let your mage carry the acorns. No wardsave though.

Nice battle report, keep 'em coming!
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

I agree with these comments. well... viggo, I'll believe you when you say we write lists differently.

Never fought a rushing WoC army before. I don't consider chariots too much of a rush (M7?) I'll have time for them, but not sure about the DP and Chimera. It'll be a consistent fight for sure.

Here is an updated ideas list build around same principle, but with much added protection for the Way watchers. This changes my big bucket of eggs into two buckets. One that sits and dies, the other that teleports away and is stagnant for a turn after...
I hated bringing a Highborn for acorn as well. So good bye lord mage protection.
I've really cut back on the way stalkers after realising you may not get the special no AS shots with sniper. But still worth it to knock out BSBs and hero wizards (killing off that scroll caddy??)

The beast mage is there to buff the EG. probs always just gonna take Wyssans to make them a bit tougher in combat.

Not sure about what lore to take on the Weaver yet Or where he'd go. (GG? EG, maybe the scouts for more shooting protection)
I was thinking high magic has some good augments for me. Get my units to safety, buffing my BS to stupid levels etc also the lore attribute will help protect my scouts from MM a bit.
But life definitely still attracts me. More so with healing and flesh to stone nowadays.

(Frogboy, I can't wait for the day I get to go up against my next dragon).

LORDS

Glade Lord
MSoHW
Bow of Loren
Obsidian Amulet
Helm of the hunt
shield
asrai spear

Weaver
lvl 4
Acorn of the ages

HEROS
BSB 
Hoda
E shield
Hagbane

beast singer
D.scroll

2 way stalkers

CORE
38 EG
shields
FC
standard of Discipline

10 Glade guard
muso
hagbane arrows

SPECIAL
15 Deepwood scouts
Hagbane arrows

10 Deepwood scouts
Hagbane arrows

RARE
20 way watchers

eagle
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
Elessehta of Yvresse
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: High Elves, Dark Angels, Wood Elves.

Re: win number 1 (now considering modified lists)

Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'm not sure the Highborn will do enough, it's cool with the teleporting and such, but a Hero could take that.
Also having him with the WW, means they won't be able to scout, and scouting is very handy.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: win number 1 (now considering modified lists)

ya Lord doesn't do a huge amount for sure. Teleporting has been amazing though so far. I actually have had him with the EG given my past two matches. Both times I've had a block of EG in the enemies Deployment zone on T1/T2. I'm not convinced this is a hugely viable tactic though. Eventually a good general will learn the simple way to counter this.

Anyway, I've now fought all three Elven races. the only one I lost against was those darn woodies ;) The general was using the movement spell in high magic to chase my EG around the field. It was A LOT of fun :D
I was winning up to the final unit's shooting where he pulled out a major win!!!

Dark elves were not a threat. Just had to target out monsters (with poison) war machines and small units of xbows. And baited the big unit of witches with a cauldron with a tasty 600 pt unit of way watchers+stalkers. used eagles to try and hold them up while I ran away like the chicken we are so often called :)

Advice though, I've decided on a shadow weaver. My hope to is to build up the skillz to leap frog units around the board using forests and the moon stone. However, you need to be careful with unit placement. Make sure you create a large net with the forests since the shadow law attribute is only 18".